positive margins after double mascectomy

Donna9199
Donna9199 Member Posts: 3
I had dobule masectomy on Feb 23, my patholgoy report shows positive margins, doctor said he never seen this before! Great no one wants to hear that!

Comments

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Although it may not happen a
    Although it may not happen a lot, it does happen. I have been on the boards here and at breastcancer.org since 12/11 and I have seen it happen. When I had my double mastectomy, I was warned that if the cancer was close to the chest wall, I may not have clean margins after their double/single mastecomies.

I am sorry you got such crummy news, but you are not alone. There are many women that had dirty margins with a mastectomy.

I know with DCIS, women hope to avoid radiation with a mastectomy, but it doesn't always happen that way.

At least know that you are not alone in this.Try breastcancer.org and you will find lots of women this problem.

I use both CSN's breast cancer boards and breastcancer.org.
  • Donna9199
    Donna9199 Member Posts: 3

Although it may not happen a
    Although it may not happen a lot, it does happen. I have been on the boards here and at breastcancer.org since 12/11 and I have seen it happen. When I had my double mastectomy, I was warned that if the cancer was close to the chest wall, I may not have clean margins after their double/single mastecomies.

I am sorry you got such crummy news, but you are not alone. There are many women that had dirty margins with a mastectomy.

I know with DCIS, women hope to avoid radiation with a mastectomy, but it doesn't always happen that way.

At least know that you are not alone in this.Try breastcancer.org and you will find lots of women this problem.

I use both CSN's breast cancer boards and breastcancer.org.

thanks so much cinamonsmile!
    thanks so much cinamonsmile! i will try breastcancer.org.....
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Donna9199 said:

thanks so much cinamonsmile!
    thanks so much cinamonsmile! i will try breastcancer.org.....

Donna I had it in 2008
    While it is sounds awful and shocking I have had it in 2008.Morepver I learnt it while being in the hospital and already have had immediate reconstruction. No worries I underwent another surgery to re-excision those positive margins and doing ok I guess. So I am a real person who have experienced this phenomena, was in care of very famous surgeon who did not do histology during radical mastectomy because she thought she got it all. I disagree with Cinnamon it is very very rare , however you are not alone. Talk to your surgeon about re-excision of those positive margins
    Please focus on your other treatments which are coming after mastectomy.
    Good luck
    Hugs