Just got a copy of my Pathology report from the lumpectomy

belindar
belindar Member Posts: 12
I just received a copy of the pathology report from my lumpectomy done on 2/27.

DCIS-Grade 3
Pattern-comedo, cribridorm and micropapillary
necrosis-present, central expansive comedo
extensive intraductal component positive

IDC-grade 2
TNM descriptors-pT1a Nx Mx

Would appreciate any help on translating this into something that I can understand.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    First, I am so sorry for
    First, I am so sorry for your diagnosis and that you are joining our "club"--the one noone wants to have to join. Having said that, please know that you are welcome here and that you will find much practical and good information.

OK, here goes:

You have one "in situ" tumor (DCIS=ductal carcinoma in situ), which, technically speaking, is not cancer. But Grade 3 means there are fast-growing abnormal cells more likely to become IDC (intraductal carcinmoma=cancer).

And, you also do have a small cancerous lesion that is growing at a moderate rate (grade 3 refers to growth rate, with Grade 3 growing the fastest). "T1a=more than 0.1 cm but not more than 0.5 cm in greatest dimension." Nx=no nodes (yay) and Mx=no metastasis (double yay).

Cancer Staging

If you can't get the link to open, try pushing shift button as you try to open it.
    http://cancerstaging.blogspot.com/2005/02/breast-tumours.html

What you are now waiting on is whether your tumor has estrogen/progesterone receptors and whether it is Her2neu +. Those results will determine the treatment that you will undergo.

Sending cyber (((hugs))) and prayers. And please kknow that there is hope. I had IDC 3A with 4 nodes and have now been 25 years :-)
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Learn to be a patient
    You have hired the docs. Now you have to learn to ask and get clarification from them. If you need to write it down, do it. But do not leave a doc without answers and options explained to you. You cannot always expect thorough explanations as a matter of course. If you don't get it, say so.
    Being your own advocate is very important and a neglected area on these sites.

Only your doc knows your particular situation and searching elsewhere for answers can be frightening and often assumptions can be made that do not apply to you.

Do it while you are there or make the phone call that will get you the answers about you.

All the best
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member

First, I am so sorry for
    First, I am so sorry for your diagnosis and that you are joining our "club"--the one noone wants to have to join. Having said that, please know that you are welcome here and that you will find much practical and good information.

OK, here goes:

You have one "in situ" tumor (DCIS=ductal carcinoma in situ), which, technically speaking, is not cancer. But Grade 3 means there are fast-growing abnormal cells more likely to become IDC (intraductal carcinmoma=cancer).

And, you also do have a small cancerous lesion that is growing at a moderate rate (grade 3 refers to growth rate, with Grade 3 growing the fastest). "T1a=more than 0.1 cm but not more than 0.5 cm in greatest dimension." Nx=no nodes (yay) and Mx=no metastasis (double yay).

Cancer Staging

If you can't get the link to open, try pushing shift button as you try to open it.

What you are now waiting on is whether your tumor has estrogen/progesterone receptors and whether it is Her2neu +. Those results will determine the treatment that you will undergo.

Sending cyber (((hugs))) and prayers. And please kknow that there is hope. I had IDC 3A with 4 nodes and have now been 25 years :-)

The best thing to do is to
    The best thing to do is to call your oncologist and make an appointment to get it explained. In the mean time, CSN has wonderfully written, easy to understand information that can help you understand the language. On the left hand side of the screen there is a blue screen called cancer.org. Click on Cancer Information and then in search type breast cancer. Lots of information will appear. It is a really good place to start. It explain cancer in general, breast cancer, treatments, side effects, diet, preventative measures, etc. I think it would really help you. You could also call the American Cancer Society at 1-800-227-2345 and ask them questions and they will help you. They can also email you the information that you are looking for and are extremely helpful. But I still think starting at the cancer information section is the best. I learned so much from it.
    Good luck with your upcoming appointments and treatments.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

First, I am so sorry for

OK, here goes:

Cancer Staging

P.S. I apologize to anyone
    P.S. I apologize to anyone out there that I offended by stating that "technically speaking DCIS is not cancer". I did not mean to step into that controversy!

I was told by my docs at MD Anderson that DCIS was not considered cancer, but I understand that this is changing semantics and controversial. I am in no way downplaying the seriousness of the diagnosis as my older sister chose, with our family history, to have bilateral mastectomies after her DCIS diagnosis. I am sure that she doesn't want to be told that she never had cancer. So mea culpa and please forgive me. To be honest, I am not sure I agree with the new semantics at all.