do hot flashes get any better as tamoxifin is taken?

sdukowitz
sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
Am on third month of tamoxifin and wondering how much worse these hot flaashes can get? I din't want to take any
more pills ... do they ease up any?? Any suggestions in managing them would be appreciated
.....I had dcis and lumpectomy then radiation with hrdly any symptoms or problems, but these hot flashes are really interrupting my sleep and are quite embarassing while teaching.....I try to ignore and not complain but I turn beat red and they go thru my whole body every hour or so ......Sue D.

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I did not have them as bad
    I did not have them as bad as you but they have gotten better. I took off my down comforter which helped. I still get hot trying to fall asleep, covers on covers off. and in the evening in particular. Also exersize and spicy foods. Certain clothes/fabrics.
    Some people take effexor and that helps, also vitamin E. Some say B vitamins help. I have been on it for two years.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Flashing
    Sue D.
    I wish I could say they get better soon. I"ve been on tamoxfin for 18 months now. They are just now to the place where it doesn't bother me as much. Many on here recommended evening primose or black cohosh. I just went through it. I didn't do any other stuff. My onc said my clexa helped. Not sure bout that. I occassionally have them but not like the first. Hang in there and they will get better. All my students know when I have one. They say your flashing aren't u. I hope this helps.

Janie
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    AMomNETN said:

Flashing
    Sue D.
    I wish I could say they get better soon. I"ve been on tamoxfin for 18 months now. They are just now to the place where it doesn't bother me as much. Many on here recommended evening primose or black cohosh. I just went through it. I didn't do any other stuff. My onc said my clexa helped. Not sure bout that. I occassionally have them but not like the first. Hang in there and they will get better. All my students know when I have one. They say your flashing aren't u. I hope this helps.

Janie

Two suggestions
    Sue,

I had never had a hot flash in my life until the 2nd day I took Tamoxifen, when they hit with a vengeance. Two suggestions:

1. My hot flashes were definitely worse at night, and made it impossible to sleep. If you're taking the pill in the afternoon or evening, check with your doctor to see if it's okay to take it in the morning instead (my doctor said it didn't matter, as long as it's at the same time every day) -- that made a world of difference for me.

2. Vitamin E doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely helps lessen my hot flashes. I first checked with all my doctors, and take 400 IU (standard drugstore version), morning and night.

I'm now on Month 28 of Tamoxifen, and these definitely help make the hot flashes much more manageable for me.

Hope that helps!

Traci
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Another supplement that is
    Another supplement that is good for hot flashes is Evening Primrose Oil. There is black cohosh to take as well, but if you were estrogen positive you especially want to run that by you oncologist.

I also use is packs to help me out.

I never knew so many parts of my body could sweat!
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Sue, mine were horrid! My
    Sue, mine were horrid! My face would turn beet red and the sweat would drip day and night. Nothing helped. They came every 15 minutes all day. Finally I went on Effexor and like magic they got better. Now I just get hot. No more beat redness. No more dripping sweat. That is one pill I am glad I'm on, effexor that is. It has helped a lot!

Angela
  • carrie61
    carrie61 Member Posts: 23
    robang13 said:

Sue, mine were horrid! My
    Sue, mine were horrid! My face would turn beet red and the sweat would drip day and night. Nothing helped. They came every 15 minutes all day. Finally I went on Effexor and like magic they got better. Now I just get hot. No more beat redness. No more dripping sweat. That is one pill I am glad I'm on, effexor that is. It has helped a lot!

Angela

hot flashes
    Sorry to say mine didn't! That's why I switched to Femara...now my feet and muscles ache.
    Arghhhhhhhh
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    carrie61 said:

hot flashes
    Sorry to say mine didn't! That's why I switched to Femara...now my feet and muscles ache.
    Arghhhhhhhh

I am 2 years now on
    I am 2 years now on Tamoxifen and the Hot flashes have gotten better. I still take the pills at night. I would make sure I had a fan going on me at night and that did help a lot. I would get the flashes durning the day as well so it did not matter when I took my pills. Hang in there.
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    Kat11 said:

I am 2 years now on
    I am 2 years now on Tamoxifen and the Hot flashes have gotten better. I still take the pills at night. I would make sure I had a fan going on me at night and that did help a lot. I would get the flashes durning the day as well so it did not matter when I took my pills. Hang in there.

Thank you for your
    Thank you for your suggesrions and comments! Hot flashes will be tolerated and I will talk to my oncologist too Being frim Alaska I am at least in the land of the snow this winter I sometimes just go sit in the snowbank by our porch to cool down thanks to each of youpink sisters
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

Another supplement that is
    Another supplement that is good for hot flashes is Evening Primrose Oil. There is black cohosh to take as well, but if you were estrogen positive you especially want to run that by you oncologist.

I also use is packs to help me out.

I never knew so many parts of my body could sweat!

I agree with cinnamon! NO black cohosh!!!!!
    This is 'natural' estrogen...and, if you are hormone receptor positive, you MUST NOT take it!!!! If you do, you are counteracting the job Tamoxifen is doing, and increase you chances of reoccurance!!! (this from my onc....).

Hugs, Kathi
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Black Cohosh
    Wouldn't take the Black Cohosh afraid. I am Estrogen Receptive and its a no, no for me. There has been some negative reports done on it on the whole.

On Tam for 18 month suffered very badly with flashes. Ceiling fan over foot of bed is a great relief. A hand held fan in my purse really is great for day and evening. Wear cotton most of the time, no sweaters and cant even stand a necklace on at times. Exercising to get the Tamoxifen weight under control is a nightmare because I get the flashes then, I dont look pretty........ Just hope it is all worth it. If you have a desk (sounds like you are a teacher) put a small fan on it. Alcohol, spicy foods, hot drinks seem to bring them on. I have uncountable flashes and they are better now taking Effexor, I came off it for a few days and got the shock of my life at how worse they became so now take these both for as long as it takes. Sucks.......... At least I know Tam is working. Good luck.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    My hot flashed prior were
    My hot flashed prior were what I THINK mild compared to listening to others. I had hystercomty due to the med (thickening of uterus) I was told they would/ may get worse and I can say I don't have them at all...I put jacket on and off at work but mild warm and then cold..but like any day...not FLASHES..

sorry you are going through this..

Denise
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    I have been on Tamoxifen
    I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug 10. I use 75 mg Effexor, but the dose is 37.5 2x day. It is not the ER (Extended Release). For me, taking the dose twice a day helps with my private summer moments. I feel more regulated. I swear I'm responsible for Global Warming. :-p If I miss a dose of the Effexor, I get dizzy and very warm. The hot flashes make me feel sick, like morning sickness. I don't seem to heat up quite as often as I did at first, but once my thermostat is up, it takes a good while to cool down.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    JuJuBeez said:

I have been on Tamoxifen
    I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug 10. I use 75 mg Effexor, but the dose is 37.5 2x day. It is not the ER (Extended Release). For me, taking the dose twice a day helps with my private summer moments. I feel more regulated. I swear I'm responsible for Global Warming. :-p If I miss a dose of the Effexor, I get dizzy and very warm. The hot flashes make me feel sick, like morning sickness. I don't seem to heat up quite as often as I did at first, but once my thermostat is up, it takes a good while to cool down.

Effexor
    My onc also prescribed Effexor for me. Wow...what a difference it has made. After just a couple of days I could tell a pretty big difference.

Hugs, Debi