Breast Tomosynthesis (3D Mammogram)

Margeaux
Margeaux Member Posts: 84
Had a 3D mammogram yesterday, a new technology that help doctors detect smaller tumors sooner, especially useful for those of us with dense breasts. This machine is available at the breast center of my hospital. My Medicare HMO will be charged for regular 2D mammogram, co-pay was $50 and the remaining costs are covered by a foundation. I was so nervous I almost passed out in the hallway. Tech put a chair behind me should I fall during the mammogram. I assured her I was ok and she squeezed away, did it ever hurt, but we all know it has to be done. The Radiologist kindly checked the images before I left - I guess the fainting helped - results NEGATIVE! Whooppeee! 15 months and counting!
Here is what the brochure says in part:
"3-D system showed measureable improvement over conventional mammography...improved lesion and margin visibility and ability to accurately localize structures in the breast.....Tomosynthesis takes 15 successive images at slightly different angles across the breast, resulting in improved accuracy in screeing results and pinpointing of lesion location..
Margeaux

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I have had the issue of
    I have had the issue of dense breasts come up twice this week. I am glad they are coming out with more precise imaging. Do you think it is as good or will take the place of MRI? Congrats on your great results!!!
  • Margeaux
    Margeaux Member Posts: 84
    carkris said:

I have had the issue of
    I have had the issue of dense breasts come up twice this week. I am glad they are coming out with more precise imaging. Do you think it is as good or will take the place of MRI? Congrats on your great results!!!

3D Mammogram
    I don't think this will replace any other tests any time soon. The medical profession is hoping that it will catch cancer earlier, particularly in those of us with dense tissue. I have had 2 abnormal mammograms the year before I was diagnosed. The subsequent ultra sound was interpreted as benign, the lymph node area under the arm also declared benign, when all along there was cancer (had 18 lymph nodes removed). To this day I regret that I did not insist on a 2nd opinion and, if necessary, raised h...ll with the insurance company. We should always follow our instincts.
    M.
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Margeaux said:

3D Mammogram
    I don't think this will replace any other tests any time soon. The medical profession is hoping that it will catch cancer earlier, particularly in those of us with dense tissue. I have had 2 abnormal mammograms the year before I was diagnosed. The subsequent ultra sound was interpreted as benign, the lymph node area under the arm also declared benign, when all along there was cancer (had 18 lymph nodes removed). To this day I regret that I did not insist on a 2nd opinion and, if necessary, raised h...ll with the insurance company. We should always follow our instincts.
    M.

Congrats on a clean bill of
    Congrats on a clean bill of health....awesome feeling
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Margeaux said:

3D Mammogram
    M.

Congrats on your great
    Congrats on your great results! I have a mammogram, ultrasound and a MRI yearly to check for bc. I wouldn't have it any other way, as with all 3 of these, if the bc does come back, one of them will find it, especially the MRI.

Again, congrats

Megan