Diarrhea

gidget13
gidget13 Member Posts: 2
Has anyone had diarrhea after chemo that seems to go on and on. The doctor has prescribed a medication and I have been taking it for two days. When I eat something, after a while I have to run to the restroom. If you have had this, what did you do?

Comments

• Margeaux
    Margeaux Member Posts: 84
    Diarrhea
    I did have some diarrhea and bad cramping after chemo, but the meds prescribed usually helped to keep it under control. At the start of even the slightest cramping I took Immodium. I was also prescribed 2 medications to be taken with and immediately following A/C/5FU chemo. At one time I had severe, uncontrollable diarrhea (can't remember how many days.) I mentioned it on my next onco visit. Doctor had recommended I take vitamins, calcium, etc. incl. magnesium and magnesium was the cause. He had me stop it immediately and it helped. I'd suggest you call your doctor's office and see what they have to say.
    Margeaux
  • gidget13
    gidget13 Member Posts: 2
    Margeaux said:

Diarrhea
    I did have some diarrhea and bad cramping after chemo, but the meds prescribed usually helped to keep it under control. At the start of even the slightest cramping I took Immodium. I was also prescribed 2 medications to be taken with and immediately following A/C/5FU chemo. At one time I had severe, uncontrollable diarrhea (can't remember how many days.) I mentioned it on my next onco visit. Doctor had recommended I take vitamins, calcium, etc. incl. magnesium and magnesium was the cause. He had me stop it immediately and it helped. I'd suggest you call your doctor's office and see what they have to say.
    Margeaux

Diarrhea
    Thank you, I did call and they put me on the Brat diet and prescribed a medication that I have been taking for thre days now. Today seems to be better and I am hoping that it is the end of it. Just being real careful what I eat. I tried Kaopectate for two days and it did nothing. I appreciate you answering me. I know that I am not alone in this.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    gidget13 said:

Diarrhea
    Thank you, I did call and they put me on the Brat diet and prescribed a medication that I have been taking for thre days now. Today seems to be better and I am hoping that it is the end of it. Just being real careful what I eat. I tried Kaopectate for two days and it did nothing. I appreciate you answering me. I know that I am not alone in this.

I had major problems with
    I had major problems with both constipation and the big D I took benefiber and Immodium. It was a balancing act. also try probiotics.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    carkris said:

I had major problems with
    I had major problems with both constipation and the big D I took benefiber and Immodium. It was a balancing act. also try probiotics.

I had both
    Just as soon as the constipation from the steroids would go away, I'd have diarrhea for 3-5 days. I was able to keep it pretty well controlled with Immodium, but I never ventured far from home if I could avoid it. My oncologist prescribed Lomotil, but Immodium did a good job for me. It would take several doses but the diarrhea would subside - until the next day. It was absolutely horrible until I learned I could take Immodium.

Oh, if I had to go out, I would wear Depends (the panties). Yes, I would. I never had an "accident" while out but you can bet if I wasn't prepared, I would have! They aren't all that bad and they provided me with a sense of security.

Suzanne