Oncologist this afternoon...hoping for answers.

serenity92
serenity92 Member Posts: 84
My oncology appointment is three hours from now. I gotta say I am really nervous. I have been off of any breast cancer meds for about six weeks now. I couldnt metabolize the tamoxofin, so had the ovaries out and started arimidex. Unfortunetly after just six weeks on it I was forced to stop because the side effects with my leukemia chemo were so severe. When I called a few weeks after stopping the arimidex and told them I was scared not to be on anything his nurse told me they had to consider "quality of life". So today we hopefully set the next plan in order. Its exhausting with the leukemia, all the surgeries for the breast cancer and reconstruction, the emotional toll, being a single mom, trying to keep working full time...etc... Please send me a little good juju that there is something else that we can try and that due to quality of life...I wait for the mets to pop up somewhere. Ugh I wish it was already bedtime...lol. Jayne

Comments

• belindar
    belindar Member Posts: 12
    Positive thought coming your way
    I am sending all my prayers & positive thoughts your way.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    belindar said:

Positive thought coming your way
    I am sending all my prayers & positive thoughts your way.

Lots of prayers and positive
    Lots of prayers and positive thoughts for you Jayne!

Hugs, Kylez
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Lots of positive thoughts
    Lots of positive thoughts and good juju sent your way.

Julie
  • kmikola2
    kmikola2 Member Posts: 29
    You have a lot on your
    You have a lot on your plate...hope everything goes well with your doctor appointment today. Positive thoughts coming your way.

Take care,

Kay
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    pixie dust and hugs heading
    pixie dust and hugs heading your way

Denise
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    kmikola2 said:

You have a lot on your
    You have a lot on your plate...hope everything goes well with your doctor appointment today. Positive thoughts coming your way.

Take care,

Kay

Positive thoughts coming your way
    I am hoping your oncologist has a goody bag full of good things that can work.

Carol
  • serenity92
    Appointment went ok. My
    Appointment went ok. My blood labs as far as white count and liver enzymes etc. were all good. My leukemia labs wont be back for two weeks. I expect they will be stable as well. As far as what treatment we will do for the breast cancer he said "nothing, we've done everything we can". So no arimidex, no femera, he just says there is no way I can handle it. He said the mastectomy and oopherectomy are treatment. And while arimidex would slightly increase my odds of not getting mets, my quality of life would be horrible. I have been shorting my leukemia chemo for the past several months to stretch out my prescription, as it is crazy expensive. My copay is $1700.00 a month. While I was fighting the breast cancer my copay assistance expired. {which it took me 6 years to get}. Now I haven't got anymore to stretch out. The hospital called PSI to try to get me back on the program and I was told I would have to reapply, qualify and THAN go on a waiting list. So it may be months or never before I get back on my chemo. Somedays this all is so exhausting, I just think I cannot do it anymore. Thank God for my little girl who gives me a reason to put a smile on my face and keep one foot in front of the other. Hugs. Jayne
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756

Appointment went ok. My
    Appointment went ok. My blood labs as far as white count and liver enzymes etc. were all good. My leukemia labs wont be back for two weeks. I expect they will be stable as well. As far as what treatment we will do for the breast cancer he said "nothing, we've done everything we can". So no arimidex, no femera, he just says there is no way I can handle it. He said the mastectomy and oopherectomy are treatment. And while arimidex would slightly increase my odds of not getting mets, my quality of life would be horrible. I have been shorting my leukemia chemo for the past several months to stretch out my prescription, as it is crazy expensive. My copay is $1700.00 a month. While I was fighting the breast cancer my copay assistance expired. {which it took me 6 years to get}. Now I haven't got anymore to stretch out. The hospital called PSI to try to get me back on the program and I was told I would have to reapply, qualify and THAN go on a waiting list. So it may be months or never before I get back on my chemo. Somedays this all is so exhausting, I just think I cannot do it anymore. Thank God for my little girl who gives me a reason to put a smile on my face and keep one foot in front of the other. Hugs. Jayne

Have you had them check with the drug company, or is that PSI?
    Many drug companies offer discounts

Maybe you have already checked that out

Jennifer
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    grams2jc said:

Have you had them check with the drug company, or is that PSI?
    Many drug companies offer discounts

Maybe you have already checked that out

Jennifer

So much on our plate Jayne
    I'm glad your labs were ok. Have you hooked up with a social worker at your medical facility regarding financial assistance? As Jennifer suggests, check with the drug company as well.

Wishing you the very best,
    Suzanne
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Appointment went ok. My

Happy your appt went ok for
    Happy your appt went ok for you Jayne. Have you contacted the American Cancer Society to see if they can help you out with the cost or if they might know who else you could contact?

Good luck,

Leeza
  • serenity92
    jnl said:

Happy your appt went ok for
    Happy your appt went ok for you Jayne. Have you contacted the American Cancer Society to see if they can help you out with the cost or if they might know who else you could contact?

Good luck,

Leeza

Thank you...yes, yes and
    Thank you...yes, yes and yes. Lots of help out there for breast cancer and others, but not so much for the leukemia. Hospital is trying and drug company has been contacted again. Its my fault for letting my assistance lapse. But when I was out for that month with the breast cancer diagnosis and mastectomy surgery it was just the last thing on my mind. Hugs Jayne
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member

Thank you...yes, yes and
    Thank you...yes, yes and yes. Lots of help out there for breast cancer and others, but not so much for the leukemia. Hospital is trying and drug company has been contacted again. Its my fault for letting my assistance lapse. But when I was out for that month with the breast cancer diagnosis and mastectomy surgery it was just the last thing on my mind. Hugs Jayne

Perhaps?
    Could you not find some pro bono attorney to fight for you with some much on your plate?

I am sorry that you are unable to take aromatase inhibitors.

Your one very brave woman, a real warrior!

Best to you, Jayne,

Doris
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    SIROD said:

Perhaps?
    Could you not find some pro bono attorney to fight for you with some much on your plate?

I am sorry that you are unable to take aromatase inhibitors.

Your one very brave woman, a real warrior!

Best to you, Jayne,

Doris

Jayne .. SIROD, made an excellent
    suggestion ... Fight.fight.fight with everything that is available to you -- You
    are so viable, and strong -- DO NOT allow anyone, or anything to take a single
    moment from you, and your daughter.!!!!!

Don't get mad .. get EVEN!

Also, contact ACS local office -- ask for help, and I would contact Social worker
    at your hospital/Oncology center ...

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam