Surgery over - no clothes to wear - Help

Pam5
Pam5 Member Posts: 232
Hi Ladies,

I had the mastectomy Tuesday and the doc said we "lucked out - I was worried about this one". I am so grateful that the frozen biopsy came back negative. He doesn't expect any bad news with the rest of the tissue but won't know for a week till those tests come back. In the meantime, I have to let the mastectomy heal before I can wear a prosthetic. That leaves me quite lopsided and I don't know what to wear out in the world between now and then. 17 years ago I woke up with a reconstructed breast already in place so clothes weren't a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Pam

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Pam, if it is not too warm
    Pam, if it is not too warm where you are at, scarves hide a multitude of issues. Also, the mastectomy camisole came with fillers that fit in a pocket in the camisole. It was just light foam. Maybe you can use an old tank top and attach something light?
    That is why I am glad I went with the bilateral mastectomy, I don't have to worry about being even.

Cindy
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    This is when you can wear
    This is when you can wear comfortable baggy shirts or sweatshirts that zip up inthe front
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Clothing
    Hi, Pam,

I too had this problem. I am a teacher, so I was very anxious when going out and then back to work. I ended up going to Marshall's and buying several fashionable sweaters that covered the area well. The docs office did give me a soft cotton padding to use as a filler that didn't hurt, but I only wore it for a few hours at a time. The sweater did the rest of the work. I didn't get the prosthesis until much later. I hope this helps.

Dorene
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    For the week after surgery I
    For the week after surgery I didn't worry about it. I was so strapped down/bound up that the remaining breast was almost as flat the missing side was (it was Oct) so I just wore my baggy sweat shirts or baggy flannel shirts. In the week following surgery the local ACS sent me a 'care box' which included a 'fluff' which was used with my old bras until in Feb when I got my good pros and mast. bras in Feb.

My suggestion is do not be in too much of a hurry to get your 'good" pros as your 'form' will change a lot in the next couple of months as healing takes place and what is a great match to begin with may not be in a short while.

Susan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    mamolady said:

Pam, if it is not too warm
    Pam, if it is not too warm where you are at, scarves hide a multitude of issues. Also, the mastectomy camisole came with fillers that fit in a pocket in the camisole. It was just light foam. Maybe you can use an old tank top and attach something light?
    That is why I am glad I went with the bilateral mastectomy, I don't have to worry about being even.

Cindy

I just wanted to say that I
    I just wanted to say that I am glad your surgery is over Pam and that you heal quickly.

Hugs, Leeza
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Not a mastectomy....but....
    My chemo port was very pronounced. So, I went for loose-fitting, draping blouses...they used to be called 'LA Law' blouses (after the TV show). They hid my port, and still made me feel good about the way I looked...especially after an intense rad session where I wanted nothing against my skin... I wore them mainly tucked in, with a nice pair of pants...again, this drew people's eye down to my waist (which was quite slender, considering I lost 25 pounds to the chemo *smile*), instead of my bust...

Hugs, Kathi
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    KathiM said:

Not a mastectomy....but....
    My chemo port was very pronounced. So, I went for loose-fitting, draping blouses...they used to be called 'LA Law' blouses (after the TV show). They hid my port, and still made me feel good about the way I looked...especially after an intense rad session where I wanted nothing against my skin... I wore them mainly tucked in, with a nice pair of pants...again, this drew people's eye down to my waist (which was quite slender, considering I lost 25 pounds to the chemo *smile*), instead of my bust...

Hugs, Kathi

I had a mastectomy camisole
    I had a mastectomy camisole that had a pillow that fit into the pocket. I didnt wear anything tight. I got it from the store that provides my prosthesis and bras. Insurance covered it.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    After my mastectomy, I
    After my mastectomy, I requested a visit from Reach to Recovery. They brought me a little box with a soft, "after surgery" prosthesis and a ball, rope and other things to help with exercises to aid recovery. I am not sure if they are in your area--that was 25 years ago!

Here's the link:

Reach to Recovery

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/reach-to-recovery