Got some bad news today

Options
antcat
antcat Member Posts: 270
Went to see my onc today...for checkup & discuss chemo treatment, as current one isn't working. My hemoglobin was very low & have to get blood transfusion again. I also told the onc that the current treatment wasn't working according to latest CT scan and wanted to start on Carbo even though 2 years ago I had an allergic reaction. The onc was agreeable to it and said the hospital has a special desentizing protocal that he developed. I asked him about dual chemo agents and he said at this point it would be of no value. So, it wasn't too good of news. Hopefully, if can be done, the carbo will work, if not, then I'm pretty sure I'm going to stop all chemo, as since last year, nothing is working, and the tumors have gotten larger, and I'm just downright tired. I know it's not good to give up, but a person's body can only take so much. Anyway, feeling kind of down today and I'm off to hospital tomorrow.

Comments

• AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Understanding
    I understand where you are coming from this all can overwhelming and our bodies just get tired from the fight. I would ask you to do a chemo break or get a second look at the medication you be able to use. I just don't want you to give up to early hold on as long as you can we don't want to lose another teal sister. You are a warrior in a very hard war but we are hear as much as you need us.

Love, Hugs, and Prayers
    Anne
  • fightermom
    fightermom Member Posts: 5
    Options
    thinking of you...
    (((big

thinking of you...

(((big hugs)))
  • Pattyn
    Pattyn Member Posts: 47
    Options

thinking of you...
    (((big

thinking of you...

(((big hugs)))

Praying for you. I am a
    Praying for you. I am a teacher at a catholic school and I will have all my students pray for you as well. Don't give up, teal sister. Even if we all lose this crazy battle on earth, we will win one day in heaven....of that I am certain. Blessings and prayers to you.
    Patty
  • lulu1010
    lulu1010 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    Pattyn said:

Praying for you. I am a
    Praying for you. I am a teacher at a catholic school and I will have all my students pray for you as well. Don't give up, teal sister. Even if we all lose this crazy battle on earth, we will win one day in heaven....of that I am certain. Blessings and prayers to you.
    Patty

Dont give up!
    I had the carbo by the hospital method and it worked fine. It has been a long time since you have had the carbo so that is good. I pray it works well!
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    lulu1010 said:

Dont give up!
    I had the carbo by the hospital method and it worked fine. It has been a long time since you have had the carbo so that is good. I pray it works well!

Go for it!
    We all know that the platinum drugs are the super heros for treating ovarian cancer...OK, so you were allergic to it...that means that can't rush you through your treatment. A lot of people do OK when the carboplatin is given slowly.

If it were me, I would go in to the hospital at 5pm and plan on staying overnight. There is less collateral damage to your healthy rapidly dividing cells when you get the chemo in the evening. Once you are booked into the room, it's yours for the rest of the night anyway.

Please read this research about platinum therapy:

http://www.benthamscience.com/cmcaca/sample/cmcaca 7-1/0003W.pdf

If you don't understand the document, send me a private message...basically, platinum therapy works better if you are on a low-sulfur diet for a couple of days before and a couple of days after the chemo. That's what is important to understand.

You are tired now and it is understandable to feel the way you do. Once your tumors start shrinking, you will have the mental strength to carry on even if your body is still tired.

You CAN do this.
  • karen1951
    karen1951 Member Posts: 103
    Options
    carolenk said:

Go for it!
    We all know that the platinum drugs are the super heros for treating ovarian cancer...OK, so you were allergic to it...that means that can't rush you through your treatment. A lot of people do OK when the carboplatin is given slowly.

If it were me, I would go in to the hospital at 5pm and plan on staying overnight. There is less collateral damage to your healthy rapidly dividing cells when you get the chemo in the evening. Once you are booked into the room, it's yours for the rest of the night anyway.

Please read this research about platinum therapy:

http://www.benthamscience.com/cmcaca/sample/cmcaca 7-1/0003W.pdf

If you don't understand the document, send me a private message...basically, platinum therapy works better if you are on a low-sulfur diet for a couple of days before and a couple of days after the chemo. That's what is important to understand.

You are tired now and it is understandable to feel the way you do. Once your tumors start shrinking, you will have the mental strength to carry on even if your body is still tired.

You CAN do this.

im praying for you antcat,
    im praying for you antcat, and all of us who are dealing with this beast....all of our thoughts and prayers are with you, my friend....karen
  • Twins Ga-Ga
    Twins Ga-Ga Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Take care!!!!
    Hated to see your post and hear that your chemo isn't working. I understand you feeling very down but I hope things turn around for you. Don't give up the battle. Keep us up to date. I'll be praying for you.
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    HUGS & PRAYERS
    I'm so sorry you've gotten this news. No wonder you're tired and discourged. But I'd also like to say that my doctor always had me on pre-meds the night before chemo, the morning of, and in the IV before I received the carbo/taxol. I also took meds at night afterward. And, the IV drip was very, very slow in order to minimize problems. My infusion took 8 hours. I know some women have actually had their infusions in the hospital overnight. Anyway, just trying to say there may be a way to still receive the treatments.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you, antact.

Monika
  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

HUGS & PRAYERS
    I'm so sorry you've gotten this news. No wonder you're tired and discourged. But I'd also like to say that my doctor always had me on pre-meds the night before chemo, the morning of, and in the IV before I received the carbo/taxol. I also took meds at night afterward. And, the IV drip was very, very slow in order to minimize problems. My infusion took 8 hours. I know some women have actually had their infusions in the hospital overnight. Anyway, just trying to say there may be a way to still receive the treatments.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you, antact.

Monika

Antcat,
    I'm hoping and praying that the carbo works for you. I truly understand how you're feeling but I won't give up hoping that something will work for you.

Kelly
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Antcat,
    I know your

Antcat,
    I know your tired, frustrated and scared, but I agree that you should go for the super drug and take it slow.
    You are a strong person and a fighter. As fighters we take things as they come and deal with what comes at us. I am keeping you in my thoughts.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Carbo allergies
    I became allergic to carbo, and after awhile even the very slow method didn't help and was switched to cisplatin. After several infusions, my tumors have reduced and my CA-125s dropped and have remained steady. I feel your discouragement. I've been on chemo for the last 26 months... phew!... you get so tired of been sick and tired! It's your body and your decision. Here's hoping you get great results from the carbo!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • antcat
    antcat Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Thanks to all of you
    Thank you all for your support and kind replies. I'm going to see the dr. next week and will talk to him about the carbo again, I know I definitely won't stay on the Hexalen. I'm only hoping it's not too late, but I'll see. Thank you again.