In need of advice

Options
fightermom
fightermom Member Posts: 5
First, I would like to thank you all for sharing your stories and experiences. I have been reading and rereading these discussion boards looking for hope... and you all have given me so much already.

My mother told me about two weeks ago that she had a cyst, that she was going to have to get removed. I was running and she and my son were riding their bikes. I didn't think much of it at the time, but a few hours later it hit me! She was very casual about it, and said that it probably wasn't anything. But I started to think back to the way she was acting the week before she told me ~ she was distracted, worried ~ in fact two days she did not even wear makeup and I can not remember a day in my life that she didn't wear her makeup (Southern girls don't even check their mail without their makeup on). Bit by bit I have been able to get more information, and I finally think that I have it all. I know that telling me had to be one of the hardest things she has ever had to do, and I know that minimizing this, she was again (as always) trying to protect me from fear and sadness and the unknown. Always a mom, and always trying to nurture her children. However, I am with her 110% percent, and I know that we will get through this.

My mother had a hysterectomy 30 years ago, however they left her right ovary as she was only 33 at the time. Her PCP felt a palpable cyst in January and sent her for an ultrasound. It did show a mass, so she was referred to a GYN. The GYN did a transvaginal ultrasound and ordered the CA-125. The mass is almost 10 cm, and her CA-125 was 359. She referred her to a GYN ONC. The GYN ONC has scheduled her for surgery on March 16 to remove the ovary and the mass. During the surgery she has allotted time for "staging." She also told my mom that she may not need chemo after the mass is removed. Would they do follow up blood work ~ ie: CA-125 ~ to determine that? or would it be determined based on the staging? Today we received the results of her CT scan "the mass is strongly suspicious for malignancy." However, everything else in her abdomen looked good, and "the mass did not extend to the sidewall" ~ I think that sounds good, but I don't know?? She also does not have any abnormal fluid collections.

I am just so nervous about this, and I think it is mostly because I just don't understand all the new information we have learned. At this point, I am not even sure what questions I should have for the doctor...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Again, thank you all so much!

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    fighter
    very sorry your mom has to go through this. Her Dr. really won't know until surgery to stage her cancer, SHE IS IN GOOD HANDS WITH A GYN/ONC. Hope she doesn't need chemo but usually chemo is recommended if there is a malignancy, Prayer to you and your mom and keep us posted..val
  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

fighter
    very sorry your mom has to go through this. Her Dr. really won't know until surgery to stage her cancer, SHE IS IN GOOD HANDS WITH A GYN/ONC. Hope she doesn't need chemo but usually chemo is recommended if there is a malignancy, Prayer to you and your mom and keep us posted..val

Dear Fightermom
    I too am so sorry that your mom has to go through this. I know it's hard for you too and the rest of the family. I don't know how the doctor will determine if chemo is needed but her CT scan results sound promising. Your mom sounds like a strong woman; she will be able to get through the chemo, if it's needed.

It probably feels like forever until her surgery next week, and I know that the waiting can be torture. Please keep us posted. We're here to support you and your mom in any way we can.

Kelly
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    So sorry you both have go through this
    but you have come to the right place. Waiting for surgeries, test results, etc. causes all of us lots of anxiety. You'll know much more after her surgery. They'll be able to determine what the best course of action will be and what type of follow up your Mom will need. Most of us who have this surgery heal without too much discomfort, but it would be very helpful to have someone around for at least a few days after your Mom comes home. Please let us know how you both are doing and come back with any questions you might have.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    HOLDING THE GOOD THOUGHTS!
    Your concern for your dear mother is justified. But don't spend too much time on worrying. Her gynecologic/oncologist is the best one to do this surgery. If it is cancer, and if the tumor is confined to the ovary, it should be a relatively simple surgery. They will undoubtedly recommend a course of chemo. He/she will be able to have a thorough 'look-around' and may even take some lymph nodes to be sure nothing has spread. They may also take the omentum if necessary.

I would just take one thing at a time. Your mom is blessed to have you, and the two of you sound close. So, you will get through this together. Keep us informed, okay? Till then. . .

(((HUGS))) and Prayers
    Monika