New Normal? Exhaustion, Fatigue, from Tamoxifen? Anyone else?

robang13
robang13 Member Posts: 333
I am a year out from my first surgery and 8 months now on tamoxifen. I am wiped out nearly every day from the smallest thing. I have gained 30lbs since starting tamoxifen and Effexor. Yesterday I went for a stress echo because of weird chest pains and I could only do the first 2 parts before nearly collapsing. I used to be able to walk at a brisk pace for a long time. I felt like a 90 year old 400lb person! (my heart is fine) Just walking up the stairs makes me have to stop to catch my breath. Is this the new normal for the next 4 and a half years? Is it the meds that are causing this? I actually had more energy when I was getting rads than I do now. Is anyone else feeling like this? I get different opinions from every doctor, so they are no help. It's really starting to get me down. I can't imagine living like this for the next 4 years or more. I know I should be happy I am well and the worst is hopefully behind me, but this is a crappy way to feel every day.

Angela

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    I'm sorry Angela that you
    I'm sorry Angela that you are feeling like this and having these problems. What I think got some of my energy back was that my hubby and I started walking almost every night. It seems that the exercise really made me feel so much better in so many ways.

I also know that meds can do a lot to you, good and bad. I just hope that you will start to feel better soon.

Hugs, Lex
  • Ballerina
    Ballerina Member Posts: 152
    Yes I just post a question about tamoxifen to evista
    Hi Angela, I've been on tamoxifen for 2yrs. I am experiencing extreme fatigue, weight loss, and joint pain. I refuse to let this be my new normal. My oncologist wants to switch me to Evista. He gave me a prescription but I haven't filled it yet. I have a second oncologist I just starting seeing, He told me to stay on tamoxifen and ride it out. Enee Menee Minee Mo. I'll figure it out. You hang in there keep walking to your best ability, put music on and march around the house it helps, keep fighting.

Ballerina
  • robang13
    Alexis F said:

I'm sorry Angela that you
    I'm sorry Angela that you are feeling like this and having these problems. What I think got some of my energy back was that my hubby and I started walking almost every night. It seems that the exercise really made me feel so much better in so many ways.

I also know that meds can do a lot to you, good and bad. I just hope that you will start to feel better soon.

Hugs, Lex

Lex, I am going to try and
    Lex, I am going to try and start doing that now that the weather is changing. I just can't stand this feeling.

Ballerina, I can't say I am happy you feel this way too, but I am relieved that I'm not alone. The xhaustion really stinks because nothing gets done! The bone and joint pain I'm sort of used to since I do have issues in that area anyways. I just wish I had the weight loss like you do instead of the gain. I figure I will be 300lbs by the time I'm off it if I keep gaining this way!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. At times you just need to know you're not alone.

Angela
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    I have been on Tamoxifen
    I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug.2010 and also gabapentin an get fatigued and exhausted all the time, i have to make myself go for walks and do some yoga and it does help but i think it is our new norm.I also gained 20lbs but have evened out now.I don't know what effexor does as i have never taken it.Strength,Courage and Hope.

Hugs Frankie
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    I have been on Tamoxifen
    I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug 10. I have not gained weight, but it's harder to lose weight. I do have periods of fatigue and bone pain. Horrible leg and foot cramps, bad patch of eczema (or something) on my right hand and foot. I will have several days that I feel really good, then I could have a few days that I'm wiped out. Oh, hot flashes. I forgot to mention the hot flashes that make me feel sick. And really bad short-term memory.

I hate to complain about the se of this drug. I know I could have it so much worse. It just wears me down sometimes. It seems like it takes twice as much energy to do the same amount of stuff as before. And because you may 'look' fine, people might forget that you are not at 100%, and may not understand what the med is doing to you.
  • robang13
    JuJuBeez said:

I have been on Tamoxifen
    I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug 10. I have not gained weight, but it's harder to lose weight. I do have periods of fatigue and bone pain. Horrible leg and foot cramps, bad patch of eczema (or something) on my right hand and foot. I will have several days that I feel really good, then I could have a few days that I'm wiped out. Oh, hot flashes. I forgot to mention the hot flashes that make me feel sick. And really bad short-term memory.

I hate to complain about the se of this drug. I know I could have it so much worse. It just wears me down sometimes. It seems like it takes twice as much energy to do the same amount of stuff as before. And because you may 'look' fine, people might forget that you are not at 100%, and may not understand what the med is doing to you.

@ jujubeez
    I know how you

@ jujubeez

I know how you feel! I feel great for a day or two and then bam I'm wiped again! Dry patches? My whole body is one big dry patch! I have never been this dry in my life! I feel like a prune at times. The effexor helped with the hot flashes. I couldn't deal with them, they were so bad. Now they are tolerable. memory? what did you just say ? : ) I will watch something then go to repeat it and can't remember what I wanted to talk about. I feel like a bumbling idiot at times. If some-one asked me something I can't remember the answer. The kids just shake their heads now and walk away. I'm just relieved I'm not the only one who feels like this. At times I think it's in my mind, then I try to get up and do something and have to sit back down cause I'm exhausted!

We are planning a vacation to Disney in June and my hubby is concerned that I might meed a wheelchair to get around since I tire so easily. I am not looking forward to that! You would think the surgeries and treatments would have been the worst part of this thing, but I think the effects of these meds are worse!

I hear you about not feeling right complaining considering what others are going through. That's why at first I didn't want to say anything here. But then I needed to know I was crazy!!

Thanks for answering~~

Angela
  • robang13

I have been on Tamoxifen
    I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug.2010 and also gabapentin an get fatigued and exhausted all the time, i have to make myself go for walks and do some yoga and it does help but i think it is our new norm.I also gained 20lbs but have evened out now.I don't know what effexor does as i have never taken it.Strength,Courage and Hope.

Hugs Frankie

@frankie,
    I tried gabapentin

@frankie,
    I tried gabapentin once and it really wiped me out! I'm going to start walking. My niece told me she is going to get me moving again. Fingers crossed it helps! Thanks for the support.

angela
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so sorry to hear....MY only
    so sorry to hear....MY only side effect of tamoxifen is thickening of uterus! MY oncologist insisted my GYNO give me internal ultra sounds @ 6 mths. She was right to do so since I did have thickening! (FOLLOWED by D & C each time) after about 3 1/2 yrs started bleeding post meno so I had total hystertomy May 2011-all good now..back on tamoxifen for another year or so..(was taken off for about 3mths)

Denise