Hetergenously Dense Breasts

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
A friend has this on her mammos. does anyone know about htis, risk for BC, and screening she should be using? Is the new mammo as sensitive as an MRI? mammo lady in the house?

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I have had one mri pre
    I have had one mri pre surgery but post 4 yrs my OCOlgist is sending me for MRI due to dense breast tissue. I have never heard of Hetergenously...

Denise
  • taiga
    taiga Member Posts: 75 Member
    Dense breasts
    I think that means moderately dense. Check out areyoudense.org.
  • kimwhit
    kimwhit Member Posts: 1

I have had one mri pre
    I have had one mri pre surgery but post 4 yrs my OCOlgist is sending me for MRI due to dense breast tissue. I have never heard of Hetergenously...

Denise

dense breasts
    good overview -
    http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/6/443.full

and fabulous per Taiga:
    http://www.areyoudense.org/

heterogenous and very dense should get your attention and may require ultrasound or MRI since mammo not effective in more dense breasts

Good luck,

Kim
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    taiga said:

Dense breasts
    I think that means moderately dense. Check out areyoudense.org.

i always thought ultrasound
    i always thought ultrasound was for a specific area in question. can you do the whole breast? I told her to ask and also about the new imaging is it better on dense breasts? I would want an MRI, as my second one was lobular and I was diagnosed after a clean mammo.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    carkris said:

i always thought ultrasound
    i always thought ultrasound was for a specific area in question. can you do the whole breast? I told her to ask and also about the new imaging is it better on dense breasts? I would want an MRI, as my second one was lobular and I was diagnosed after a clean mammo.

Ultrasound vs MRI. Alot of
    Ultrasound vs MRI. Alot of places will not do a screening ultrasound. It is hard to reproduce from year to year so makes for a poor screening tool. Also, it produces alot of false positives.
    The MRI is preferred for dense breast screenings. Now there are alot more facilities doing them. The only problem is that some facilities will only give them to women who are "high risk". That term means different things to different places.
    For me, my tumors did not show up on a digital mammo because I have extremely dense breast tissue. I had a sister diagnosed at 30 with BC. That was not enough to warrant an MRI as a screening. Now that I have BC, my other sister gets annual MRI and Mammograms with 2 sisters diagnosed before 50 she is high risk.
    The MRI should not replace the mammogram, they see different things. Digital mammo's are more sensitive but still may not see everything.
    Cindy