Rash at Feeding Tube site

Options
Ginny_B
Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
Mom had a little "pimple" under the base of the feeding tube where it enters the stomach. It came to a head like a sore pimple. Now the area is red and there are 3 more "pimples" showing up. I keep applying antiseptic cream and of course I have a tube dressing between the plastic of the tube and her skin. She said there is no itch or pain, but it's looking raw. Any thoughts?

Medicare turned down the Doc's request for humidified oxygen to help her raspy breathing. They also turned down the request for an air mattress for her hospital bed. Sigh... they want bed sores before they'll ok an air mattress.

Comments

• BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Options
    The skin around the tube
    The skin around the tube opening can be such a problem. My husband had his tube for so long. His first one, no problem. Then, for reasons, it had to be removed and located in a different spot. For some reason with the second location, no matter how hard I tried; how often I cleaned; the various creams, etc., it was a nightmare keeping down inflammation there. When possible, I tried to let air get to the area underneath the tubing. When the tube was replaced, they used a tube with a stabilizing "gasket ?" that just kept moisture on the skin.

I checked with the pharmacist and tried some of their recommendations. I kept it from really getting bad, but, I never could get the skin happy in the area. It was always ready to get red. I tried, but I don't know the best way to deal with it. Thought I'd just let you know it can be difficult. Wish you better success than I had. BMGky
  • Ginny_B
    Options
    BMGky said:

The skin around the tube
    The skin around the tube opening can be such a problem. My husband had his tube for so long. His first one, no problem. Then, for reasons, it had to be removed and located in a different spot. For some reason with the second location, no matter how hard I tried; how often I cleaned; the various creams, etc., it was a nightmare keeping down inflammation there. When possible, I tried to let air get to the area underneath the tubing. When the tube was replaced, they used a tube with a stabilizing "gasket ?" that just kept moisture on the skin.

I checked with the pharmacist and tried some of their recommendations. I kept it from really getting bad, but, I never could get the skin happy in the area. It was always ready to get red. I tried, but I don't know the best way to deal with it. Thought I'd just let you know it can be difficult. Wish you better success than I had. BMGky

Skin Infection
    I was told today that it is a skin infection. He wanted to give her antibiotics, but she can't swallow anything anymore. All Rx's today were such that they could be given via the feeding tube. He said to continue with the Antibacterial Ointment. I am also applying Milk of Mag to soothe the skin. The skin around the point of entry is just NOT happy. Mom says she feels nothing.
  • dwhite0002
    dwhite0002 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Ginny_B said:

Skin Infection
    I was told today that it is a skin infection. He wanted to give her antibiotics, but she can't swallow anything anymore. All Rx's today were such that they could be given via the feeding tube. He said to continue with the Antibacterial Ointment. I am also applying Milk of Mag to soothe the skin. The skin around the point of entry is just NOT happy. Mom says she feels nothing.

Try Nystatin powder
    I ocassionally get a rash around the site that is similar to a yeast infection, due to the constant moisture. Change your drain sponges frequently and apply Nystatin Powder to it. It will clear up in about 24 hours if you apply Nystatin.

Good Luck,

David
  • Ginny_B
    Options

Try Nystatin powder
    I ocassionally get a rash around the site that is similar to a yeast infection, due to the constant moisture. Change your drain sponges frequently and apply Nystatin Powder to it. It will clear up in about 24 hours if you apply Nystatin.

Good Luck,

David

Nystatin Powder
    I've never heard of it and don't have any, so I'll go out today and buy some! Hope it's at a local drug store! Thank you.
  • dwhite0002
    dwhite0002 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Ginny_B said:

Nystatin Powder
    I've never heard of it and don't have any, so I'll go out today and buy some! Hope it's at a local drug store! Thank you.

Prescription
    I think you need a prescription. It comes in an ointment and is used for bad diaper rash. However, the powder is what you want for this. Ask your doctor. He/she should be happy to prescribe it for you.

Best,

David
  • Ginny_B
    Options

Prescription
    I think you need a prescription. It comes in an ointment and is used for bad diaper rash. However, the powder is what you want for this. Ask your doctor. He/she should be happy to prescribe it for you.

Best,

David

Yep, it is by Rx. What we
    Yep, it is by Rx. What we have is liquid antibiotics and it seems to be doing the trick.