Options
2»

Comments

• staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Fine
    Jim was a fine man, made all here feel they had hope.

RIP Jim

john

CANCER SUCKS..... i know we all know that, just had to post it

Thank You Jim
    For everything.
    Truly heartbroken.
  • pascotty
    pascotty Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    staceya said:

Thank You Jim
    For everything.
    Truly heartbroken.

Devastated
    Isnt life amazing. I never met jim but feel a terrible sadness. I read many of his posts and enjoyed his dry humour. Makes you reflect and humbles you once again. The reality sets in and I find myself in selfish thoughts. RIP Jim. Xxxxx
  • RushFan
    RushFan Member Posts: 224
    Options
    pascotty said:

Devastated
    Isnt life amazing. I never met jim but feel a terrible sadness. I read many of his posts and enjoyed his dry humour. Makes you reflect and humbles you once again. The reality sets in and I find myself in selfish thoughts. RIP Jim. Xxxxx

Dang it...
    So sorry to read this one...rest in peace Jim.
  • robinleigh
    robinleigh Member Posts: 297
    Options
    RushFan said:

Dang it...
    So sorry to read this one...rest in peace Jim.

sad news
    So sorry to hear this news. I seem to recall that he was recognized at an event for his journalistic works and if his obit is any example of his writing, I certainly see why.
    Prayers go out to his wife. He certainly will be missed!
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Jim

Thanks for posting the news but it makes me so very said to hear, truly he was a warrior and fought it too the very end.

Hondo
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    RIP MY FRIEND
    Thanks for the update Skiff. As I stated in an earlier post, I felt this was not good with him being gone so long from the board. it is amazing that never meeting face to face, you still feel like you really know someone just by chatting here at CSN.

He is in a better place now and not suffering any more.

God Bless!!

Mike
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options

RIP MY FRIEND
    Thanks for the update Skiff. As I stated in an earlier post, I felt this was not good with him being gone so long from the board. it is amazing that never meeting face to face, you still feel like you really know someone just by chatting here at CSN.

God Bless!!

Mike

Too hard.
    It was hard to hear after 5 years Jim had lung cancer. He was a huge inspiration to me during Mark's treatment. So very very hard to hear this news now. I will always remember him as I sit on the Delaware beaches. Sad. Very sad.
  • miccmill
    miccmill Member Posts: 248
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

Too hard.
    It was hard to hear after 5 years Jim had lung cancer. He was a huge inspiration to me during Mark's treatment. So very very hard to hear this news now. I will always remember him as I sit on the Delaware beaches. Sad. Very sad.

so sorry
    Jim was also one of the first people to encourage me when I first came here. I never thought he wouldn't always be around. It's very hard to take.

Godspeed Jim, you did a lot of good for alot of people.
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Member Posts: 189
    Options
    miccmill said:

so sorry
    Jim was also one of the first people to encourage me when I first came here. I never thought he wouldn't always be around. It's very hard to take.

Godspeed Jim, you did a lot of good for alot of people.

Maybe it is when you join a board like this that makes you attached to certain posters... or maybe it is just the conection of this ****in disease.... Damnit anyway. rest in peace Jim.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options

Maybe it is when you join a board like this that makes you attached to certain posters... or maybe it is just the conection of this ****in disease.... Damnit anyway. rest in peace Jim.

Delaware Jim
    Very saddened to learn of this news. Lord knows how much Jim helped me in my early days with the tooth and gum issues, as I'm sure he did for many others. His Positive impact on many of our recoveries speaks for itself...God bless him. Just as we have missed him around here for some time, now, he will never be forgotten by those of us who have the honor to have been helped by our Brother Jim.

Believe

kcass

(Thanks, John, for informing us of this, and the link)
  • Roselvr
    Roselvr Member Posts: 30
    Options

RIP MY FRIEND

God Bless!!

Mike

Reading the posts here & Cancer Compass; I'm pretty sure that he could not come back & post because he wanted us to remember him the way he was & not the Jim with "cancer eating his body"

Here are a few posts for anyone wanting to read them. I'm not sure how to find his posts here.

I'm back ... and so is my cancer by Delnative on Mon Mar 07, 2011 01:54 PM

Some of you (well, one or two, maybe) may have wondered where I've been recently. In mid-February I went for what was supposed to be my final PET scan, two years and four months after treatment ended. My docs thought it would be clean. It wasn't.

Now I have a tumor in my lung; it's spread to two lymph nodes in my chest. There is a big blessing in the middle of this bad news, though. My docs at Johns Hopkins logically assumed that my tonsil cancer had metastasized and spread to the lung, which happens in about 10 percent of the cases. But the Hopkins cancer board concluded that the two were unrelated. That makes for a much better prognosis.

And one truly weird thing: My tonsil cancer was positive for HPV-16, and the lung tumor is HPV-18. (One can't morph into the other, which was one fact that led to the tumor board's conclusion.) The docs told me that HPV-positive lung tumors are rare to begin with, and when they are seen they're almost exclusively found in black patients. I'm as white as white can be. Go figure.

I shared this at CC; want to post it here too- Lung cancer is not related to H&N Mar 31, 2011 05:39 AM

the tumor board at Johns Hopkins concluded this cancer did NOT arise from the tonsil cancer, even though both are HPV-related. (Tonsil was HPV-16, lung is HPV-18.) This gives me a much better prognosis than if it had metastasized from the tonsil cancer

I've survived another round by Delnative on Thu May 19, 2011 06:14 PM

This is the post where he talks about retiring.
    Back again, for the moment by Delnative on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:10 AM by Delnative on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:10 AM

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here, due to a combination of heavy workload (now over) and major health problems (only beginning). Being a journalist, albeit one who retired July 1, I’ll keep this brief.

I wrapped up a 34-year career as a reporter and editor on the final day of Delaware’s legislative session, where the House, which I’d covered off and on since the late 1970s, awarded me a tribute and members of the leadership said glowing things about me. It probably was the highlight of my career.

Then, just the other day, I got a call from none other than VPOTUS himself -- Joe Biden -- wishing me well in retirement and in my battle with cancer. He even gave me his private phone number. I know that sounds like a big deal to people with little knowledge of Delaware, but around here, Joe is just Joe. I’ve known him for years.

This leads me to my health problem. I wrapped up rads and chemo for my tonsil cancer in October 2008 and followed it up with a modified radical neck dissection in January 2009. All appeared to be going well -- until February, when a PET scan showed cancer in my lungs. Once again I returned to Johns Hopkins for seven weeks of rads and two cycles of cisplatin. While another PET showed that the tumor and nodes in my chest are shrinking, I now have multiple small spots in my lungs and a single one on my liver. To top it off, literally, I have lesions in the brain.

On Monday I will return to Hopkins for 10 sessions of full-brain rads, which will be followed up with chemo. They’re not sure whether my original tonsil cancer metastasized and spread, or if the lung cancer was an unrelated tumor that then metastasized. Either way, I’m facing an uphill battle.
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Roselvr said:

Reading the posts here & Cancer Compass; I'm pretty sure that he could not come back & post because he wanted us to remember him the way he was & not the Jim with "cancer eating his body"

Here are a few posts for anyone wanting to read them. I'm not sure how to find his posts here.

I'm back ... and so is my cancer by Delnative on Mon Mar 07, 2011 01:54 PM

Some of you (well, one or two, maybe) may have wondered where I've been recently. In mid-February I went for what was supposed to be my final PET scan, two years and four months after treatment ended. My docs thought it would be clean. It wasn't.

Now I have a tumor in my lung; it's spread to two lymph nodes in my chest. There is a big blessing in the middle of this bad news, though. My docs at Johns Hopkins logically assumed that my tonsil cancer had metastasized and spread to the lung, which happens in about 10 percent of the cases. But the Hopkins cancer board concluded that the two were unrelated. That makes for a much better prognosis.

And one truly weird thing: My tonsil cancer was positive for HPV-16, and the lung tumor is HPV-18. (One can't morph into the other, which was one fact that led to the tumor board's conclusion.) The docs told me that HPV-positive lung tumors are rare to begin with, and when they are seen they're almost exclusively found in black patients. I'm as white as white can be. Go figure.

I shared this at CC; want to post it here too- Lung cancer is not related to H&N Mar 31, 2011 05:39 AM

the tumor board at Johns Hopkins concluded this cancer did NOT arise from the tonsil cancer, even though both are HPV-related. (Tonsil was HPV-16, lung is HPV-18.) This gives me a much better prognosis than if it had metastasized from the tonsil cancer

I've survived another round by Delnative on Thu May 19, 2011 06:14 PM

This is the post where he talks about retiring.
    Back again, for the moment by Delnative on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:10 AM by Delnative on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:10 AM

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here, due to a combination of heavy workload (now over) and major health problems (only beginning). Being a journalist, albeit one who retired July 1, I’ll keep this brief.

I wrapped up a 34-year career as a reporter and editor on the final day of Delaware’s legislative session, where the House, which I’d covered off and on since the late 1970s, awarded me a tribute and members of the leadership said glowing things about me. It probably was the highlight of my career.

Then, just the other day, I got a call from none other than VPOTUS himself -- Joe Biden -- wishing me well in retirement and in my battle with cancer. He even gave me his private phone number. I know that sounds like a big deal to people with little knowledge of Delaware, but around here, Joe is just Joe. I’ve known him for years.

This leads me to my health problem. I wrapped up rads and chemo for my tonsil cancer in October 2008 and followed it up with a modified radical neck dissection in January 2009. All appeared to be going well -- until February, when a PET scan showed cancer in my lungs. Once again I returned to Johns Hopkins for seven weeks of rads and two cycles of cisplatin. While another PET showed that the tumor and nodes in my chest are shrinking, I now have multiple small spots in my lungs and a single one on my liver. To top it off, literally, I have lesions in the brain.

On Monday I will return to Hopkins for 10 sessions of full-brain rads, which will be followed up with chemo. They’re not sure whether my original tonsil cancer metastasized and spread, or if the lung cancer was an unrelated tumor that then metastasized. Either way, I’m facing an uphill battle.

Can Anyone Here Help With This Idea?
    I really enjoyed reading Jim's obituary, and I noticed there was a link on the page to either read or post sympathy notes for the family. Is there any way the heartfelt postings on here could be forwarded to Jim's family? It might bring a lot of comfort for them to learn of how many people Jim touched here.

Deb
  • Carolinagal
    Carolinagal Member Posts: 91
    Options
    So sad
    Such a kind man. I know he will be missed.
  • Tanager75
    Tanager75 Member Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    Jim was the first to welcome me to this forum. I looked forward to reading how he overcame problems similiar to mine when I was so sick. I suspected his life was as described in the obit from his postings. He will be missed.

Peace to you and your family.

Thanks, Jim
  • Roselvr
    Roselvr Member Posts: 30
    Options
    D Lewis said:

Can Anyone Here Help With This Idea?
    I really enjoyed reading Jim's obituary, and I noticed there was a link on the page to either read or post sympathy notes for the family. Is there any way the heartfelt postings on here could be forwarded to Jim's family? It might bring a lot of comfort for them to learn of how many people Jim touched here.

Deb

The funeral home also has a
    The funeral home also has a guest book; I wonder if leaving a message for the family about the post here & cancer compass; they may eventually see them. I assume the funeral home watches the guest book

Funeral home obit