Maybe TMI, But I've become a tight ..........

lauragb
lauragb Member Posts: 370 Member
Okay, I'll just say it. I presently have a temporary ileostomy. I am almost four months past my surgery. I still often feel pressure against my anus and sometimes do squeeze out a little thin mucous. I decided to check back there just to see what the area feels like and found that my anus has shrunk and the skin around it feels tight and not pliable like the good old days, radiation damage I'm sure. I can't imagine stool being able to go through there post takedown. I am going to check in with the nurses at the surgeon's office and also have my gynecologist check it out since I have an appt there next week for my other post radiation issues.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this and what procedures must one endure to alleviate it. I think if something does need done, it would be good to have it taken care of before the takedown.

Thanks for any input before there's output.
Laura

Comments

• tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    No, this is a legitimate
    No, this is a legitimate problem that I had too. The Dr. tried to dilate me a couple times and that didn't work so I had a transanal flap made where I was literally given a new one. Took some real time to get used to going to the bathroom again as the nerves were cut and I had to learn some new signals but it works pretty good now. It took about a year before things are relatively problem free.
    Hope this help Laura~
  • lauragb
    lauragb Member Posts: 370 Member
    tommycat said:

No, this is a legitimate
    No, this is a legitimate problem that I had too. The Dr. tried to dilate me a couple times and that didn't work so I had a transanal flap made where I was literally given a new one. Took some real time to get used to going to the bathroom again as the nerves were cut and I had to learn some new signals but it works pretty good now. It took about a year before things are relatively problem free.
    Hope this help Laura~

Thanks tommycat for the
    Thanks tommycat for the response. I am wondering were you sedated for the dilation. I can't imagine.....the last DRE I had was so painful. Also, how difficult is the surgery? Were you in the hospital for awhile and again, what kind of pain level were you dealing with as well as recovery time?
    I know you have been through a lot and are on the other sides. It helps to know that.
    Laura