azgrandma
azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
has anyone else developed osteoporosis after receiving chemo

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Bone Loss
    I'm not there yet, but have been consistantly losing bone. Currently osteopenia. I've been working very hard with a nurse practitioner and naturopath to end the loss. Just recently found out it is due to autoimmune issues, not so much lack of hormones. Started a diet a few weeks ago to correct the autoimmune and feel like a million bucks. Will be testing again in a month to determine whether the bone loss has stopped. Then maybe I can start rebuilding. If you're interested in the diet it is found in the book "Autoimmune: The Cause and the Cure." Good luck!
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Bone Loss
    I'm not there yet, but have been consistantly losing bone. Currently osteopenia. I've been working very hard with a nurse practitioner and naturopath to end the loss. Just recently found out it is due to autoimmune issues, not so much lack of hormones. Started a diet a few weeks ago to correct the autoimmune and feel like a million bucks. Will be testing again in a month to determine whether the bone loss has stopped. Then maybe I can start rebuilding. If you're interested in the diet it is found in the book "Autoimmune: The Cause and the Cure." Good luck!

Very interesting
    I read somewhere that there were similarities between OVCA & autoimmune disease. Maybe the autoimmune diet is a good idea for us OVCA survivors?

BTW: the difference between osteopenia & osteoporosis is that the former term is used by radiologists & the the latter term is a medical diagnosis. Essentially, the two terms describe are the same condition.
  • Tethys41
    Options
    carolenk said:

Very interesting
    I read somewhere that there were similarities between OVCA & autoimmune disease. Maybe the autoimmune diet is a good idea for us OVCA survivors?

BTW: the difference between osteopenia & osteoporosis is that the former term is used by radiologists & the the latter term is a medical diagnosis. Essentially, the two terms describe are the same condition.

Diet
    Well, I'm singing the diet praises right now and tend to believe it would be good for OCVA survivors. It's very similar to what I had been doing as an anti-cancer diet, but the difference is I avoided protein for 2 weeks and ate a lot of fermented foods, mostly raw: raw sauerkraut; raw pickles; and coconut milk keifer. The two weeks allows your gut to heal and gets your pancreas producing the right enzymes again to digest protein. Then you start eating protein again, with plenty of fermented foods. The fermented foods aspect continues forever when eating protein. I felt improvement the first day, and keep feeling better and better!
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Diet
    Well, I'm singing the diet praises right now and tend to believe it would be good for OCVA survivors. It's very similar to what I had been doing as an anti-cancer diet, but the difference is I avoided protein for 2 weeks and ate a lot of fermented foods, mostly raw: raw sauerkraut; raw pickles; and coconut milk keifer. The two weeks allows your gut to heal and gets your pancreas producing the right enzymes again to digest protein. Then you start eating protein again, with plenty of fermented foods. The fermented foods aspect continues forever when eating protein. I felt improvement the first day, and keep feeling better and better!

I had so many aches and pains
    my doctor had me do a bone density test last year and it came back normal. I was happy to hear that. Of course the aches and pains are still here!

Karen
  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    kikz said:

I had so many aches and pains
    my doctor had me do a bone density test last year and it came back normal. I was happy to hear that. Of course the aches and pains are still here!

Karen

I have osteoporosis
    I have osteoporosis of the lumbar. I'm not sure though if the chemo is directly to blame because I've had osteopenia (thinning bones) for several years, plus my 82 year old dad has osteoporosis, believe it or not, so looks like I inherited that condition from him. I'm sure my chemo didn't help though. I take osteoporosis medicine weekly and calcium chews with each meal.

Kelly
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options

I have osteoporosis
    I have osteoporosis of the lumbar. I'm not sure though if the chemo is directly to blame because I've had osteopenia (thinning bones) for several years, plus my 82 year old dad has osteoporosis, believe it or not, so looks like I inherited that condition from him. I'm sure my chemo didn't help though. I take osteoporosis medicine weekly and calcium chews with each meal.

Kelly

vitamin d
    my vitamin d is also very low, i started taking d pills. anyone else having problems with d
    i will chek out that diet thanks
  • Nerina
    Nerina Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Osteoporosis after chemo
    Hi ya,
    yes I have...I had Ovarain cancer 2011, though I also had Leulemia in 1996 also with chemo.

I'm now on weekly tablets to stop further bone thinning and am looking at changing to a once yearly infusion.
    I'm 46 and have the bones of a 70 year old apprantely.
    cheers
    Nerina
  • Tethys41
    Options
    azgrandma said:

vitamin d
    my vitamin d is also very low, i started taking d pills. anyone else having problems with d
    i will chek out that diet thanks

Vitamin D
    A low vitamin D level is commonly associated with patients who develop cancer. Whether it is a contributing factor or is just another symptom of the disease, all cancer survivors should have their vitamin D level monitored and work to keep it in the high end of the normal range.