Has anyone had Hepatic Arterial Infusion therapy?

pscott1
pscott1 Member Posts: 207 Member
Curious as to how many lesions were in your liver and what the outcome was.

Thanks!

Pam

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    YES
    I don't recall how many there were, it was 8 years ago. My liver was inoperable due to the amount and placement of the tumors in my liver. I did FOLFOX for 6 months and Avastin for 5 months. The HAI pump was put in Sept 2004 when I had a colon resection, the liver resection (60-70% removed), gallbladder removed, and a few lymph nodes removed too., I had chemo through it for 6 months along with systemic chemo. My liver has been fine ever since. I've had lung issues and a few operations and RFAs on them since 2006(?). Still doing chemo, Erbitux and irinotecan but it's doing a very good job of things. Quality of life is very good, side effects are minimal.

IF you can get Dr Kemeny from Sloan Kettering to do the pump you're ahead of the game. She pioneered the procedure and has helped a few on here.
  • gfpiv
    gfpiv Member Posts: 59 Member
    HAI
    I didn't know about HAI when I was first diagnosed, so we did 6 months of FOLFOX and Avastin first. Worked great for me, went from innumerable mets (well over 50% of liver mass), CEA 600+ to a >95% reduction in size, approx 15 lesions left, CEA <5.

Since then, I've been on HAI plus system FOLFIRI for almost 18 months now, and am very happy that things have stayed "stable" for so long (with possibly some very minor shrinkage). However, unfortunately the HAI never gave me the additional significant met shrinkage that I would need to become resectable.

But I'm still very glad to have had HAI...counting my blessings that I am still here and feeling great over 2 years since initial dx.

-Chip