Has anyone done hyperbaric oxygen therapy...

Goldie1
Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
for radiation cystitis that has affected the bladder? My husband is back in the hospital because he has been bleeding and passing clots when urinating for over a week. His hemoglobin went down to 6 and he needed a blood transfusion. The bleeding occurred once before (last Dec) but it stopped after a few days...he had a bladder biopsy and we found out it was radiation cystitis. So the urologist is recommending this therapy and we are all for it if it is covered by our insurance. Any one out there find this to be a worth while treatment for cystitis?

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Goldie
    My ex-husband did, many years ago undergo that therapy but it was for a wound on a graft on his leg. It sure helped that. But I don't know anything else about it. It didn't cause him any pain or side effects. But that's about the "expert" knowledge I have, which isn't much I know. Sorry I couldn't be of any further help.
    Winter Marie
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    My brother did hyperbaric
    My brother did hyperbaric oxygen treatment for brain cancer. He said the oxygen-rich air made him feel better---and that certainly helps anyone.
  • Goldie1
    Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
    tommycat said:

My brother did hyperbaric
    My brother did hyperbaric oxygen treatment for brain cancer. He said the oxygen-rich air made him feel better---and that certainly helps anyone.

Thanks for the replies...
    Pat is going to start treatment tomorrow. 5 days a week, 1 hour in the chamber, for 6 weeks. He is a little worried about it because he feels it is a bit of the beaten medical path. But, I have done a lot of reading on it and if it helps the cystitis, then that is all that matters!
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Goldie1 said:

Thanks for the replies...
    Pat is going to start treatment tomorrow. 5 days a week, 1 hour in the chamber, for 6 weeks. He is a little worried about it because he feels it is a bit of the beaten medical path. But, I have done a lot of reading on it and if it helps the cystitis, then that is all that matters!

I don't know about the
    I don't know about the cystitis, but I know a surgeon who always likes his patients to have about 3-4 treatments before surgery, to help with speeding up the healing process. And, heard from patients it is pretty helpful. I have read a lot of positives about hyperbaric. Makes sense.
    I'd say go for it. :)