Should I postpone my breast mri to save $800

Options
janie560
janie560 Member Posts: 42
My oncoligist recommened a breast mri for comparasion purposes. I had iDC 7 months ago, they removed the lump and I did the radiation. I have real expensive insurance and will be on medicare in July. Would it be alright to wait until July when I go on medicae fo do the mri? I am having a mamagram this thursday, will that be enough to tell me I am ok. I am not taking the recommended arimedex, doing some alternative things.

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Why would the MRI cost you
    Why would the MRI cost you $800? Is that your deductible? Did your oncologist think it would be ok to wait until July? I would ask him and see what he says, but, I think it would be a good idea to have one. Let us know.

Hugs, Debby
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    DebbyM said:

Why would the MRI cost you
    Why would the MRI cost you $800? Is that your deductible? Did your oncologist think it would be ok to wait until July? I would ask him and see what he says, but, I think it would be a good idea to have one. Let us know.

Hugs, Debby

Have...
    Have it done.....800.00 is not change, but I think it's well worth it if for nothing else peace of mind...and I have EXCELLENT insurance but have always ended up paying between $300.00. - $900.00 for an MRI....those suckers are expensive! And this is not a deductible...I just got a $300.00 refund check for my last one....and You may very well end up paying MUCH more under Medicare....especially if you don't have a supplemental plan...

Wishing you the best...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Margeaux
    Margeaux Member Posts: 84
    Options
    MRI
    Janie dear, is there any way you can scrape the $800 together and have the MRI done? See what the oncologist has to say when you explain your financial situation. Medicare itself covers 80% of medical expenses, which means that, unless you have a secondary insurance you will have to pay 20%. I joined a Medicare HMO (live in Houston), no secondary insurance necessary, my out of pocket cost for a PET scan is $300. Did your doctor agree with your decision not to take arimidex? Hope you do not mind this old lady, but please, please be careful not to substitute proven therapies with "alternative things".
    Hugs, M.
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Insurance
    Hi,

Would the cost be any different for a CT scan? An MRI is the most expensive of tests and although it can't be compared to your previous test a CT scan can generally give you the same information. Sorry you are having to go through this. I would ask the oncologist if it's okay to wait and see what he says. Are you not taking Arimidex due to insurance as well? Sometimes doctors can get samples for you if you can't afford it due to insurance deductables. Just some suggestions. Best of luck. ((hugs))

Terry
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I would talk it over with
    I would talk it over with the DR...

Perhaps if you explain to office where having it done they could put you on payment plan!

Just a thought...

Denise
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    costs
    If the costs are too high you may be able to get some assistance from a community agency or church for a part of the bill. When I was a church deacon, I was on a council of all the denominations in our area. We would get requests for help with bills all the time from a local agency. They would cover such bills and then ask our deacon group if we could spare any funds to reimburse them for the assistance they gave. When we reimbursed them collectively it freed thier funds to help yet another person who needed assistance. Sometimes we could only give them partial reimbursement, however, cutting the bill down to size might make it seem more manageable.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

costs
    If the costs are too high you may be able to get some assistance from a community agency or church for a part of the bill. When I was a church deacon, I was on a council of all the denominations in our area. We would get requests for help with bills all the time from a local agency. They would cover such bills and then ask our deacon group if we could spare any funds to reimburse them for the assistance they gave. When we reimbursed them collectively it freed thier funds to help yet another person who needed assistance. Sometimes we could only give them partial reimbursement, however, cutting the bill down to size might make it seem more manageable.

EXCELLENT ...suggestion, laughs a lot!
    good luck .. and let us know the outcome.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • janie560
    janie560 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Margeaux said:

MRI
    Janie dear, is there any way you can scrape the $800 together and have the MRI done? See what the oncologist has to say when you explain your financial situation. Medicare itself covers 80% of medical expenses, which means that, unless you have a secondary insurance you will have to pay 20%. I joined a Medicare HMO (live in Houston), no secondary insurance necessary, my out of pocket cost for a PET scan is $300. Did your doctor agree with your decision not to take arimidex? Hope you do not mind this old lady, but please, please be careful not to substitute proven therapies with "alternative things".
    Hugs, M.

Arimadex and mri
    My oncoligist wants me to take arimidex I purchased it but afraid to take it and afraid not to take. I don't know why he recommended mri verses scan. Magbe due to the radiation. Thank u I will ask him.

Janie
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Unless you get supplimental
    Unless you get supplimental insurance to go along with 'standard' Medicare, you could easily be paying that much once on it. Medicare pays up to 80% of cost. I turned 65 last June and did some looking into using Medicare but decided against it as it's a lot cheaper for me to just keep using VA as I know exactly what my co-pay is for anything - there is a small flat rate for anything and VA is billed directly and then they bill you for your co-pay.

I would go ahead and have the scan done - waiting 5 months could wind up costing you a lot more in the long run IF 'something' is going on.

Why are you afraid to take Arimidex?
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    mom62 said:

Insurance
    Hi,

Would the cost be any different for a CT scan? An MRI is the most expensive of tests and although it can't be compared to your previous test a CT scan can generally give you the same information. Sorry you are having to go through this. I would ask the oncologist if it's okay to wait and see what he says. Are you not taking Arimidex due to insurance as well? Sometimes doctors can get samples for you if you can't afford it due to insurance deductables. Just some suggestions. Best of luck. ((hugs))

Terry

It is awful the costs of all
    It is awful the costs of all of the tests that we are suppose to have. Could you speak with your oncologist and just plain tell him that you can't afford the MRI and see what he says. Maybe there is another test you can have that is less expensive for you. Good luck and keep us updated.

Hugs, Megan
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    Rague said:

Unless you get supplimental
    Unless you get supplimental insurance to go along with 'standard' Medicare, you could easily be paying that much once on it. Medicare pays up to 80% of cost. I turned 65 last June and did some looking into using Medicare but decided against it as it's a lot cheaper for me to just keep using VA as I know exactly what my co-pay is for anything - there is a small flat rate for anything and VA is billed directly and then they bill you for your co-pay.

I would go ahead and have the scan done - waiting 5 months could wind up costing you a lot more in the long run IF 'something' is going on.

Why are you afraid to take Arimidex?

Pet Scan
    I have medicare but also have AARP as a supplemental so I think my tests are covered. I didn't do it for 9 months and got into real trouble. Maybe National Cancer Society can help with the cost. Is Arimidex like anastrazole - an estrogen blocker? Why are you afraid of it? I do a lot of alternative things along with the conventional things. That way I feel like I'm covering all the bases. The best thing is always to talk to your oncologist or the social worker at your hospital - they have great resources. Mine helped me a lot getting a lymphodema sleeve from the National Cancer Society - about $300.00. Good luck and stay in touch.

Pam5
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Pet Scan
    I have medicare but also have AARP as a supplemental so I think my tests are covered. I didn't do it for 9 months and got into real trouble. Maybe National Cancer Society can help with the cost. Is Arimidex like anastrazole - an estrogen blocker? Why are you afraid of it? I do a lot of alternative things along with the conventional things. That way I feel like I'm covering all the bases. The best thing is always to talk to your oncologist or the social worker at your hospital - they have great resources. Mine helped me a lot getting a lymphodema sleeve from the National Cancer Society - about $300.00. Good luck and stay in touch.

Pam5

Went though this last year
    Went throught this last year.Had a appt talk to my doctor about a excisional biopsy.He was doing the surgery and biopsy.Went in to talk to him about that and seems treatment changed.I was getting a needle biopsy. I am sure the doctor found out insurance wouldn't pay for the excisional biopsy. I was upset.That could have been done 2-3 weeks earlier.I got the needle biopsy and it was benign.BUT then I get the bill.Over $1,100.I forget even though this is important insurance won't cover it till we pay our deductible.First time in 30 years we have to pay for our treatment.I am also going on Medicare.My birthday was last week. We'll still pay something but not all of it.I was shocked I had to pay for a needle biopsy.Funny we pay for those things but our doctor visits the insurance company covers.

I know how you feel I hated to cough up that $1100.I had no choice though.I went in thinking I wasn't paying since it was a procedure but find out different when I get the bill.My husband wants to retire but paying for these medical bills how will we survive.We have some retirement money but we need medical attention which is taking some of that money.

Is there anyway you can pay do it??? If the doctor ordered a MRI I would assume it is more accurate than a mammo or other tests.

I look back now and I think my doctor didn't want to tell me I had to pay for the surgery he wanted to do.So he changed treatment.He didn't know my insurance had changed and probably didn't want to say your treatment will be different because it will cost you big bucks if I operate. I've been very upset over all of it.

Lynn Smith
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Went though this last year
    Went throught this last year.Had a appt talk to my doctor about a excisional biopsy.He was doing the surgery and biopsy.Went in to talk to him about that and seems treatment changed.I was getting a needle biopsy. I am sure the doctor found out insurance wouldn't pay for the excisional biopsy. I was upset.That could have been done 2-3 weeks earlier.I got the needle biopsy and it was benign.BUT then I get the bill.Over $1,100.I forget even though this is important insurance won't cover it till we pay our deductible.First time in 30 years we have to pay for our treatment.I am also going on Medicare.My birthday was last week. We'll still pay something but not all of it.I was shocked I had to pay for a needle biopsy.Funny we pay for those things but our doctor visits the insurance company covers.

I know how you feel I hated to cough up that $1100.I had no choice though.I went in thinking I wasn't paying since it was a procedure but find out different when I get the bill.My husband wants to retire but paying for these medical bills how will we survive.We have some retirement money but we need medical attention which is taking some of that money.

Is there anyway you can pay do it??? If the doctor ordered a MRI I would assume it is more accurate than a mammo or other tests.

I look back now and I think my doctor didn't want to tell me I had to pay for the surgery he wanted to do.So he changed treatment.He didn't know my insurance had changed and probably didn't want to say your treatment will be different because it will cost you big bucks if I operate. I've been very upset over all of it.

Lynn Smith

I am like you Janie
    I am like you Janie.I was afraid to take Tamoxifin.I pondered for 6 weeks.Saw my breast surgeon and he said it is best.Sure you have a non invasive cancer but there are other cancers you can get. You really need to take it.I did.Been on it for over 2 years. can't wait till I'm off it but some say there is something else after this.

I told my oncologist I forget my tamox now and then.She said it's not a good thing.So now I remember to take it no matter what.

Be like me.Go for a ride.Have your husband take you.I did to calm me.I took the pill and if I had problems I knew the reaction would be soon. I'm allergic to alot of things. I was afraid like you.

Lynn Smith
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

costs

Janie, are you getting the
    Janie, are you getting the MRI?