Failed breast implant

Options
LynnKT
LynnKT Member Posts: 47
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I had my tissue expanders replaced with silicone implants in Oct. '11. I had high hopes of continuing on with life with new soft breasts. That was not to be. Because I had radiation on my right side in 2010, my skin did not tolerate the stress of the new surgery. About 2 months after the silicone implants were put in, my skin began to rupture. My plastic surgeon tried to repair the damage in 12/11, but I had to have the implant taken out about a month ago. I originally had a bilateral mastectomy, so now I have an implant on one side and am concave on the other. Very weird looking. I have seen a surgeon about undergoing a TUG flap procedure. She said that I am a good candidate for this procedure since I carry my weight in my lower half. Is there anyone out there who has also had a failed implant? Maybe we can commiserate. It was really like going through post-traumatic stress syndrome.

For those of you who have had radiation and are considering reconstructive surgery, I really recommend looking at all of your options before jumping onto the implant bandwagon. The failure rate is just too high, and the emotional upheaval is too great. Also, make sure that your plastic surgeon is board certified. You want the best.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Sending you a big hug
    I am very sorry. I have had mastectomy with immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. While it is considered successful I am not pleased with results. Yes, after radiation skin is not healing well. I hope you will recover emotionally and physically and then make your final decision about reconstruction options. Please give yourself time.
    Hugs
  • LynnKT
    Options

Sending you a big hug
    I am very sorry. I have had mastectomy with immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. While it is considered successful I am not pleased with results. Yes, after radiation skin is not healing well. I hope you will recover emotionally and physically and then make your final decision about reconstruction options. Please give yourself time.
    Hugs

Thanks for your honesty. I
    Thanks for your honesty. I think it is truly difficult to be totally happy with the results after reconstruction. Maybe we have too high expectations? I'm not sure why. I know that before my right implant needed to come out, I, too, wasn't totally happy with how I looked. I looked okay clothed, however, which was some consolation. I will give this all time. My new plastic surgeon said that I can't have surgery for another year to allow time for healing both physically and emotionally. Meanwhile, I will begin looking for breast prostheses. My goodness, they are expensive. I had no idea! My insurance will cover part of the expense, though.

Blessings to you, Lynn
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options
    Sorry you had to go through
    Sorry you had to go through all that i don't under stand why the surgeons couldn't tell you a head off time that this would happen.I will hope for the best for you on the Tug flap procedure i don't know anything about reconstruction as i had a Bil.Mastectomy with no reconstruction but i was also 67 at the time.Live.Laugh and Love.

Hugs Frankie
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    LynnKT said:

Thanks for your honesty. I
    Thanks for your honesty. I think it is truly difficult to be totally happy with the results after reconstruction. Maybe we have too high expectations? I'm not sure why. I know that before my right implant needed to come out, I, too, wasn't totally happy with how I looked. I looked okay clothed, however, which was some consolation. I will give this all time. My new plastic surgeon said that I can't have surgery for another year to allow time for healing both physically and emotionally. Meanwhile, I will begin looking for breast prostheses. My goodness, they are expensive. I had no idea! My insurance will cover part of the expense, though.

Blessings to you, Lynn

Sorry
    I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. My implants are OK not what I expected but given my state of mind through all this I'm OK with them. I will say that the longer they are in the more real and natural they appear and feel. Not like the real thing but liveable. Prostheses like everything is expensive but they know we will pay. Hang in there.

Janie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Sorry you had to go through all that i don't under stand why the surgeons couldn't tell you a head off time that this would happen.I will hope for the best for you on the Tug flap procedure i don't know anything about reconstruction as i had a Bil.Mastectomy with no reconstruction but i was also 67 at the time.Live.Laugh and Love.

Hugs Frankie

.... Yikes!!! Gentle hugs for you -- Miss Lynn --
    this sucks, plain and simple -- and believe me, I have been there, done that!

Bilateral -- fully expanded ready for exchange surgery, when my family and I went on
    vacation to the Grand Canyon, and returned home with a staph infection. I spent
    5 days in the hospital -- where doctors could not control or stop infection -- lucky
    me .. I am allergic to penicillium -- emergency surgery ensued. I walked around lopsided, 1 fully expanded breast, and 1 flat breast for weeks, upon weeks.

I cried, felt betrayed by my body and the medical profession -- and walked around
    depressed for weeks. My body eventually recovered, another surgery to place a
    new tissue expander -- and bi-weekly fill ups followed. Now I have my nipple
    surgery scheduled for next Wednesday, March 7th -- but, it took time for me to
    heal, recover, and move forward.

Best of luck to you .. and shame shame shame on your doctor.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • LynnKT
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Bilateral -- fully expanded ready for exchange surgery, when my family and I went on
    5 days in the hospital -- where doctors could not control or stop infection -- lucky
    me .. I am allergic to penicillium -- emergency surgery ensued. I walked around lopsided, 1 fully expanded breast, and 1 flat breast for weeks, upon weeks.

I cried, felt betrayed by my body and the medical profession -- and walked around

Vicki Sam

yes, I did feel betrayed. I
    yes, I did feel betrayed. I was referred to my first plastic surgeon when I was first diagnosed with cancer. I just assumed that the ps was fully qualified to handle my case, even when I discovered that I was to have radiation. As it turned out, he was fairly limited in what type of procedures he could perform. He never indicated that I should go elsewhere for a second opinion. I guess I would like to encourage women who are facing reconstruction to look at ALL their options before jumping into a decision. I am so sorry that you had to go through your long ordeal. How long was it for you before you underwent the follow-up surgery? I hope your nipple surgery goes well. You must be looking forward to this next stage of recovery!

Lynn
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    LynnKT said:

yes, I did feel betrayed. I
    yes, I did feel betrayed. I was referred to my first plastic surgeon when I was first diagnosed with cancer. I just assumed that the ps was fully qualified to handle my case, even when I discovered that I was to have radiation. As it turned out, he was fairly limited in what type of procedures he could perform. He never indicated that I should go elsewhere for a second opinion. I guess I would like to encourage women who are facing reconstruction to look at ALL their options before jumping into a decision. I am so sorry that you had to go through your long ordeal. How long was it for you before you underwent the follow-up surgery? I hope your nipple surgery goes well. You must be looking forward to this next stage of recovery!

Lynn

Lynn...
    Thanks So MUCH for the info. Sorry you've experiences physical and mental discomfort. My reconstruction is scheduled the latter part of April. I didn't realize there was a high failure rate after RAD. That worries me. ;0( Guess I better ask more questions prior to surgery. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Wishing YOU all the BEST on your next steps!!! Please Keep us posted.

{[{Big Hugs}}}
    Mitzi
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear of your issues
    sorry to hear of your issues and difficulties...

Denise
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

sorry to hear of your issues
    sorry to hear of your issues and difficulties...

Denise

I do not want to scare you .. but, normally a
    Plastic surgeon will wait at least 3 months -- so our bodies have a chance
    to recover. I am curious what you surgeon has to say regarding the wait/
    recover period.

Please keep us posted.

Vicki Sam
  • LynnKT
    Options
    VickiSam said:

I do not want to scare you .. but, normally a
    Plastic surgeon will wait at least 3 months -- so our bodies have a chance
    to recover. I am curious what you surgeon has to say regarding the wait/
    recover period.

Please keep us posted.

Vicki Sam

For Mitzi & Vicki
    For Mitzi & Vicki Sam,
    Mitzi, please DO find out all of your options before undergoing implant surgery. If you've had radiation, you are, indeed, at a much higher risk of implant failure and capsular contracture. Don't be afraid to ask your plastic surgeon all of the hard questions so that you can go into surgery fully informed and confident. There are many other options for those of us who have had radiation. Yes, the surgeries are more complicated, but now I know that it is well worth the effort to inform ourselves. God bless you!
    Vicki Sam, my new plastic surgeon told me that it was a must for me to wait a year before undergoing a new surgery. Since October 2011, I have had three surgeries: to put in the implants, attempt to correct implant rupture, and then removal of the implant from the radiated side. Too, too much for any body to take. The ps said that, not only does my body need to fully heal, but my mind and spirit. (My family has been traumatized as well). She recommends getting into as good of shape as possible before undergoing the flap surgery. That way, recovery will be much faster. Blessings to you!

For any of you who are new to this post, if you have had radiation and are planning to have implants put in, whether gel or saline, really do your research first.

Lynn
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Lynn, I am so sorry this
    Lynn, I am so sorry this happened to you.
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    LynnKT said:

For Mitzi & Vicki
    For Mitzi & Vicki Sam,
    Mitzi, please DO find out all of your options before undergoing implant surgery. If you've had radiation, you are, indeed, at a much higher risk of implant failure and capsular contracture. Don't be afraid to ask your plastic surgeon all of the hard questions so that you can go into surgery fully informed and confident. There are many other options for those of us who have had radiation. Yes, the surgeries are more complicated, but now I know that it is well worth the effort to inform ourselves. God bless you!
    Vicki Sam, my new plastic surgeon told me that it was a must for me to wait a year before undergoing a new surgery. Since October 2011, I have had three surgeries: to put in the implants, attempt to correct implant rupture, and then removal of the implant from the radiated side. Too, too much for any body to take. The ps said that, not only does my body need to fully heal, but my mind and spirit. (My family has been traumatized as well). She recommends getting into as good of shape as possible before undergoing the flap surgery. That way, recovery will be much faster. Blessings to you!

For any of you who are new to this post, if you have had radiation and are planning to have implants put in, whether gel or saline, really do your research first.

Lynn

My implant hasn't actually failed just yet. But skin is strectched so thin across the implant that you can feel a crease where it has somehow folded over itself. There's also a very large purple 'bruise' that I've been told isn't really a bruise at all. In fact, it's really all of the tiny blood vessels that just look like a bruise being as they're so close to the surface.

This takes up the lower, outer quadrant. It's been this way ever since my expander/implant exchange surgery some 16 months ago. It's very ugly but kinda' goes with the scar where one of the doctors got to close to the surface when wielding the cauterizing tool and burned through to the surface. The ensuing wound got severely infected and I had to get two large frankenstein-ish stitches to finally close that wound.

This implant is also way too small and in no way matches to the other side. I'm waiting on a surgery date to exchange it for a little bit larger sized one. However, it still will be too small just not as small as the one I have now. (does this sounds stupid to you? it sounds stupid to me)

My PS said they will be using Alloderm to build up the thinned area. But well, that didn't work out too well the first time. My body merely absorbed the Alloderm instead of "using it a scaffold" for my own tissue to build on, or whatever the rhetoric was.

When I mentioned that I might do better with using my own tissue I was told oh, that's really a detailed kind of surgery. Well, duh.

I wish I had known there were other options besides having an implant. Although, now that I do know it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

I give it about 2 years, tops, after I get the new implant before it fails.

I wish I was wrong.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    LynnKT said:

For Mitzi & Vicki
    For Mitzi & Vicki Sam,

Lynn

So very sorry Lynn that this
    So very sorry Lynn that this happened. Your post is very important for all of us pink sisters to read. Thanks for posting it and good luck to you.

Hugs!
  • midnight10
    midnight10 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi all,
    I also had a bilateral mastectomy, had temporary implants put in and the left side fully filled, right side just a bit filled, then radiation and a month after that was done (which was a year ago today!) right side fully filled. In September I had silicone implants put in, ended up with an infection on the radiated side a week later, took a while to get rid of it, but finally did. The left side is ok, the right side is "perkier" because of some scar tissue growth around it and feels tight, however my plastic surgeon is happy with it. She told me to massage the h*** out of it for a year to keep it as soft as possible. I also have what looks like a permanent bruise on the upper inside quadrant, but it is not really a bruise, just blood vessels close to the surface. I'm not thrilled with them and would not consider doing reconstruction after radiation knowing what I know now. The implants are also a cup size bigger than what I was before---not what I wanted---many of my tops don't fit right.
    Get nipples tatooed--NO MORE--not even that. I may do 'stick ons' though. Who would have dreamed there was such a thing! Enough whining!
    Let yourself heal.
    Cindy
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    I'm sorry:(
    Lynn,

I am sorry for the long reconstruction road and failed implant. Radiated skin is definitely tricky.

I have heard of the tug. I pray for a marvelous result for you.

For those who do have radiation and go for implants...fat graft transfer can really help. I agree ... please check out the credentials of your P.S. Working on reconstructed breasts is a different ball game than working on augmented breasts.

If you do go the route with radiated skin and implants, get a P.S. who will do the fat graft at the time of the exchange.

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/News-and-Resources/Technique-Provides-New-Option-for-Breast-Reconstruction-after-Radiation-Therapy.html

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topic/744891?page=2#post_2882618
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Hugs Frankie

I am so sorry that you've
    I am so sorry that you've had to go thru this.

Gentle hugs,

Diane
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I'm sorry:(
    Lynn,

I am sorry for the long reconstruction road and failed implant. Radiated skin is definitely tricky.

I have heard of the tug. I pray for a marvelous result for you.

For those who do have radiation and go for implants...fat graft transfer can really help. I agree ... please check out the credentials of your P.S. Working on reconstructed breasts is a different ball game than working on augmented breasts.

If you do go the route with radiated skin and implants, get a P.S. who will do the fat graft at the time of the exchange.

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/News-and-Resources/Technique-Provides-New-Option-for-Breast-Reconstruction-after-Radiation-Therapy.html

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topic/744891?page=2#post_2882618

Very sorry
    Very sorry for all the complications and setback. I had a lumpectomy but I think about reconstruction for those with masectomies and problems.My niece had a double masectomy at 31.DX at 30.The one breast was cancerous and the next year the other was pre cancer.So she opted for a double masectomy. The very beginning she had some infection but since all is fine.

I am 65 and I know I could be faced with a mascectomy on down the line.My left breast(only) is a battle.Many benign tumors since 20 and malignant at 62(then lumpectomy).I hang in there.Still have worries about this one side. I have one good breast so far.

If I was ever faced with reconstruction this is the one thing I would worry about. Not a successful outcome because of failure or infections.These problems can be dangerous and life threatening.

Wishing you the best.

Lynn Smith
  • tko683
    tko683 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So sorry
    So sorry about your failed reconstruction. I can totally relate as I also had failed reconstruction. Mine was different situation. They recommended DIEP flap because I also had radiation and they said they didn't recommend implants so I did the long 11 hour surgery and it did not work. It was hard to recover emotionally but I did and you will too. Just give yourself time to heal. Sending you hugs, Teri