Now what???

Options
Ruffy7
Ruffy7 Member Posts: 126
Hello, I was diagnosed with appendix cancer in June 2011. Surgery took out appendix, some lymph nodes and cecum (nodes and cecum negative for cancer). Haven't had a period since before the surgery (9 months). I was 51 at that time so assumed it put me into menopause and then period started this past Sunday... called gyn who said I shouldn't bleed anymore and call her if I do. So now she wants to see me (even though I saw her in Jan and everything was normal). Now I'm worried that she thinks it might be something serious... if the appendix cancer spreads one of the most likely place are the ovaries. Has anyone here had an unexpected period that turned out to be something serious? Just getting back to normal but seems there is always something else coming up to worry about :(. Thanks, Ruffy

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    bleeding
    are you going to see a gyn/onc,,that is your best bet if you do have ovarian cancer. Do you have abdominal bloating or pelvic pain?? ASk for a blood test called ca-125. I pray that you don't have this dreaded beast..val
  • Ruffy7
    Ruffy7 Member Posts: 126
    Options

bleeding
    are you going to see a gyn/onc,,that is your best bet if you do have ovarian cancer. Do you have abdominal bloating or pelvic pain?? ASk for a blood test called ca-125. I pray that you don't have this dreaded beast..val

I'm seeing a surgical onc
    I'm seeing a surgical onc that has had experience with appendiceal cancers. Just had my 6 month check up with him 3 weeks ago with CT scan and tumor markers (cea and ca 19-9) - so far everything looks good. No real bloating or pain that I wouldn't consider normal with a period. I think the gyn will want to do an ultrasound - does that pick up things that a CT will miss? I'm probably just worrying for nothing. Thanks for responding. :)
  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Ruffy7 said:

I'm seeing a surgical onc
    I'm seeing a surgical onc that has had experience with appendiceal cancers. Just had my 6 month check up with him 3 weeks ago with CT scan and tumor markers (cea and ca 19-9) - so far everything looks good. No real bloating or pain that I wouldn't consider normal with a period. I think the gyn will want to do an ultrasound - does that pick up things that a CT will miss? I'm probably just worrying for nothing. Thanks for responding. :)

Dear Ruffy
    Sorry but I don't know if an ultrasound picks up things that a CT will miss (or the other way around). I can tell you though that I had both an abdominal ultrasound and CT scan when I first saw my doctor about bloating problems (before my diagnosis). I agree with Val that your best bet is a gyn/onc for dealing with ovarian cancer. In the meantime, I too hope that you're worrying for nothing. Hoping for a good outcome!

Kelly