Help interpreting radiology report - sounds good but still nervous

Options
My dad was diagnosed w/ stage IV adenocarcinoma of the distal esophagus in November and went through 6 rounds of chemo. We got the radiology report for his PET/CT scans today, but he does not meet with his doctor until Friday afternoon. Could anyone shed some light on the following excerpts for me? They seem to be the most important, most other things are "no suspicious..." etc. I don't want to get my hopes up but Friday seems so far away.

"PET/CT scan re-demonstrates a thickened appearance of the distal esophagus, improved when compared to the prior examination. It no longer demonstrates metabolic activity."

"Near-complete resolution of FDG-avid right adrenal mass noted on the prior examination. Only minimal soft tissue fullness remains, no longer FDG-avid."

"The numerous, prominent mediastinal lymph nodes identified on the prior examination have decreased both in size and number when compared to the prior study. Currently, no convincing evidence of pathologic adenopathy by CT size criteria."

I would greatly appreciate any input. Also, thank you all for your information and postings, I have been lurking and reading in this forum for about a month and it's been invaluable!!

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Guigna
    Guigna Member Posts: 63
    Options
    this is a good report
    but please remember that cancer masses below the size of 1,000,000 cells cannot be detected.
    My husband got this same report and 6 months later, has a 1" tumor on his hip.
    You have great hope, please don't give up, but after getting this report, and later getting the news about a new tumor was devastating for my husband because he thought this meant he was in the clear.
  • starspace1
    starspace1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks
    I appreciate your response :) I figured it didn't mean "the cancer is gone" but I'm glad that it's great news as interpreted by someone who has been there. Fortunately, this is my first encounter with cancer. My dad keeps saying, all it takes is 1 little cell left over, but this is nice to hear.

I hope my dad is open to more treatment. I know he was hating the side effects and was kind of under the impression that he was "done" with his chemo, as it was palliative in nature.
  • starspace1
    Options
    Guigna said:

this is a good report
    but please remember that cancer masses below the size of 1,000,000 cells cannot be detected.
    My husband got this same report and 6 months later, has a 1" tumor on his hip.
    You have great hope, please don't give up, but after getting this report, and later getting the news about a new tumor was devastating for my husband because he thought this meant he was in the clear.

thank you
    Is that what "CT size criteria" means, that anything under a certain size (1,000,000 cells) isn't visible? I looked that up but wasn't able to figure out exactly what it meant. I assumed it had something to do with the resolution of the scans. Thank you for sharing your experience, I am by nature a very cautious optimist and I do want to know the eventual outcomes in others who received the same post-chemo results. Are there any specific questions you'd recommend for me to ask the doctor during the appointment on Friday?
  • starspace1
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

more chemo
    Indeed the doctor does want him to continue on the same regimen for 3 more rounds. It was nice to hear that Dad's response to the chemo was exactly what the doctor wanted. My dad is considering the additional rounds and he allowed them to (tentatively) schedule the first one, so that's promising. The main thought I have been having today is "why stop when it's working?" but obviously I am not the one who has to go through the chemo. I can understand not wanting to go through more of it if it's just going to "prolong the inevitable."

The appointment today was good and I'm glad the doctor is positive, but it's hard when the answer to almost every question you ask seems to be "it's different for everyone" and "depends on how well you tolerate and respond to it" and "there's no way to know." :\