Post-liver resection scan results

janie1
janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
Hey. About 6 weeks ago had Rt. lobe of liver removed, plus 3 sections of left. 12 tumors removed, but on this first post-op scan, it shows one tumor didn't have clear margins, now have a 2 cm. new spot. Largest one now-to-date. Heck. What a let down.
Don't mean to be bearer of bad news, just have to vent. I thought I liked my surgeon, surgery was actually not difficult.....but I now wonder.....about everything, certain (not all) decisions.... what's next (besides lots more chemo).
Thanks. :(

Comments

• have2believe
    have2believe Member Posts: 134
    stay strong
    I'm sorry to hear there's a new spot. I hope that the next course of treatment, whatever it may be, will get you to NED (no evidence of disease). They tell you not to second guess, but it's so hard not to. This Thursday my mom starts chemo again with the reoccurence in full vengeance, and my mom couldn't help but think and wonder, should we not have taken a chemo break and just continuously have done maintenance chemo? Was the dr wrong? I know that at the next appt, that's what I'll ask the dr. I'm expecting to hear the whole, "there are no wrong answers" line but who knows. If it makes you feel better, you may want to ask the doctor why. Besides more chemo, don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Stay strong, you're a fighter! (even though I'm sure not by choice, but by necessity).
  • janie1

stay strong
    I'm sorry to hear there's a new spot. I hope that the next course of treatment, whatever it may be, will get you to NED (no evidence of disease). They tell you not to second guess, but it's so hard not to. This Thursday my mom starts chemo again with the reoccurence in full vengeance, and my mom couldn't help but think and wonder, should we not have taken a chemo break and just continuously have done maintenance chemo? Was the dr wrong? I know that at the next appt, that's what I'll ask the dr. I'm expecting to hear the whole, "there are no wrong answers" line but who knows. If it makes you feel better, you may want to ask the doctor why. Besides more chemo, don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Stay strong, you're a fighter! (even though I'm sure not by choice, but by necessity).

thanks Lana
    I should clarify.....my docs are tops (they are who i went to for a second opinion). Just feeling sorry for myself....was hoping to be NED for at least a couple of weeks....lol. Just surprised (and scared) about where the heck such a large spot came from so quickly.
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    janie1 said:

thanks Lana
    I should clarify.....my docs are tops (they are who i went to for a second opinion). Just feeling sorry for myself....was hoping to be NED for at least a couple of weeks....lol. Just surprised (and scared) about where the heck such a large spot came from so quickly.

New spot may not be
    Hi Janie: The new spot may not be new as sometimes the scans don't detect all of the scans or the radiologist misses one. Happened to me several times. So it may not have come about quickly. I'm hoping not.
    Cheryl
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Janie
    Janie,

Sorry to hear this news. It really stinks. Glass half full would be they got rid of 11!! mets. That's great news. Having that little tumor to now deal with sucks but you are determined. Is a second resection possible? Not sure if your surgeon is Dr D'A but I have a friend on whom he did a repeat resection within a short period of time. Please keep us posted. I am in NYC on Monday. Will you be there?

Amy
  • pscott1
    pscott1 Member Posts: 207 Member
    I think it's great that you have a doctor that actually gave
    liver resection as an option with 12 tumors. Mine won't even look at it as an option unless I had one or maybe two. I'm glad for you that everything went well exception for the discovery of this one tumor. Hang in there and keep getting better!

Pam
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi
    Praying things will go well for you.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I know what you mean about
    I know what you mean about second guessing. After three years of being NED ny onc decided to wait 14 months for next scan. Well rhat scan revealed an 8cm tumor on the right lobe. Surgery revealed that i had another tumor on my abdominal wall and the liver tumor had attached to my diaphram. So now the cancer had spread outside of my liver for the first time in over 6 years. I cant help thinking an earlier scan would have caught it before it spread. The surgeon was able to get it all. BTW I switched oncologist.
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member

I know what you mean about
    I know what you mean about second guessing. After three years of being NED ny onc decided to wait 14 months for next scan. Well rhat scan revealed an 8cm tumor on the right lobe. Surgery revealed that i had another tumor on my abdominal wall and the liver tumor had attached to my diaphram. So now the cancer had spread outside of my liver for the first time in over 6 years. I cant help thinking an earlier scan would have caught it before it spread. The surgeon was able to get it all. BTW I switched oncologist.

Good luck with your upcoming
    Good luck with your upcoming treatments on this met....
  • janie1
    smokeyjoe said:

Good luck with your upcoming
    Good luck with your upcoming treatments on this met....

Thanks ALL
    Thanks everyone!!

Ok, had time to sink in, now back in the game.

Amy......i know I should look at it as the glass half full.....maybe 11/12 full. Best to you on your scan Monday....sure it will be good. No,
    i won't be there Monday, but 2 weeks from Wednesday. I do plan to see the surgeon (Dr. D-M). He wasn't there last time, so I'll get more info from him, then Dr. K.

And Amy.....i think that is interesting that you asked Dr. K about a vaccine trial (saw that on another thread), and she said a firm "No". If this first scan after my surgery had been clear, I really wanted to ask her, too, about a vaccine trial (after some more chemo), or at least get her "thoughts" on vaccine trials. I really, really, wish she would give more rationale, so, if she gives you any insight into her thinking, please do share. I really function better on having adequate rationale. I sort of live day to day with no longer-term game plan, and it is very nerve-wracking.