IDC or IBC...???

Options
IDC of IBC....???

I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma on 11/14/2011....I saw a breast surgeon a few weeks after and she said I have IBC. WOW!! I did all the research I could and wasn't started ion chemo until Jan. 11,2012. My tumor was right under the nipple of my left breast...and it was huge.

A little more history about that lump. The year before is when I found the lump and went to my doctor who then sent me for a mammogram and an ultrasound. I was told by the radiology department at the hospital and my doctor that it was a cyst and not to worry about it.

almost 1 year later i ended up in the emergency room getting a biopsy.

The lump was so large and painful that my whole breast was irritated and red...and infected as I was treated with 2 different antibiotics while i waited for the test results.

I have had a biopsy, an ultrasound,an MRI, a pet/scan, 2 lymph nodes were also biopsy(negative)...thank goodness. I just finished my 3RD round of chemo(Taxatere and cytoxen).

My Oncologist said after only 13 days after my first treatment..."I don't believe that you have IBC."

WOW!!! that would be awesome of course....the tumor had shrunk to less than half the size we started with. Today we can't even feel a lump and I see my new breast surgeon next Wednesday....

Here is my question or rather questions.....

How do they know for sure if it is IBC??

Could they have just misdiagnosed me?because due to where the tumor was, it could have been irritating me in a number of ways.

The pathology report says Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Are there any other tests I should or could ask for?

I was thinking about it and my energy level was tanking back in September of last year while before I was diagnosed. I mean if it were IBC it is fast spreading and according to the pet/scan it has not spread beyond the breast right under my nipple.

I think they are wrong but I want to make informed decisions when it comes to surgery and radiation and whet ever may be left to do.

thank you for your input and God Bless.

Comments

• AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options
    Do you have a copy of the
    Do you have a copy of the biopsy report? Does it say something like "poorly differentiated invasive ductal carcinoma?" If so, I don't understand why the oncologist thinks it's not breast cancer. Can he have the pathologist recheck the biopsy? Did they do the predictive/prognostic marker analysis (receptors, etc?). I have a strongly aggressive Ki67 triple negative IDC. My tumor can no longer be felt after 3 A/C treatments, but no one is suggesting I didn't/don't have BC or abandoning the long protocol planned for me. I'm certainly no expert, but I think I would be wanting a second opinion from another oncologist. Good luck!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer)
    IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) does not usually persent itself as a 'lump' - it forms bands or nests which is why chemo is first to try to get it to form a lump and get margins so it can be gotten in surgery. It is very fast growing - within days often.

The path. report will say if it's IBC. My biopsies were done on Thurs afternoon and had the path. report the next morning by 8 - IBC as was expected. That was a week after I found the enlarged node under arm which I hadn't felt the day before.

Another point to remember - only between 1% and 5% of ALL breast cancers are IBC so not all Drs have much experience dealing with them or even recognizing them.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    AngieD said:

Do you have a copy of the biopsy report? Does it say something like "poorly differentiated invasive ductal carcinoma?" If so, I don't understand why the oncologist thinks it's not breast cancer. Can he have the pathologist recheck the biopsy? Did they do the predictive/prognostic marker analysis (receptors, etc?). I have a strongly aggressive Ki67 triple negative IDC. My tumor can no longer be felt after 3 A/C treatments, but no one is suggesting I didn't/don't have BC or abandoning the long protocol planned for me. I'm certainly no expert, but I think I would be wanting a second opinion from another oncologist. Good luck!

You can have your tumor
    You can have your tumor rechecked at that hospital and even have it sent to another hospital to be tested from my understanding. Good luck with your appointment and post to let us know what you find out.

Hugs, Kylez
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    AngieD said:

Angie, I don't think her
    Angie, I don't think her doctor was saying she didn't have breast caner. She was diagnosed with IDC, then IBC (inflammatory breast cancer, another type of breast cancer. Then was told that the doctor did not think she had IBC, the second type of cancer she was diagnosed with.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Angie, I don't think her
    Angie, I don't think her doctor was saying she didn't have breast caner. She was diagnosed with IDC, then IBC (inflammatory breast cancer, another type of breast cancer. Then was told that the doctor did not think she had IBC, the second type of cancer she was diagnosed with.

I have seen that there are
    I have seen that there are quite a few who think IBC means Invasive (or Infiltrating) Breast Cancer. They do not understand the difference between the "I" in IDC or ILC and IBC. IBC does not mean Invasive (or Infiltrating) Breast Cancer. It is not Ductal (IDC) or Lobular (ILC) - it is totally different - it is Inflammatory Breast Cancer.

Susan