Breast Fibroma

Options
websterbr
websterbr Member Posts: 20
This is the first time that I have posted on this discussion board. I usually post on the brain cancer board as I have had a malignant brain tumor. Last week I had a physical and they found a lump on my breast. My ultrasound today found what the radiologist called a benging fibroma. I am very positive about this diagnosis. They say it is benign but they also told me that my brain tumor was just swelling and turned out to be cancer. Has anyone been told that their lump was a fibroma and it turned out not to be?

Comments

• kbsss
    kbsss Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Did they take a biopsy?
    Did they take a biopsy? Fibromas have certain characteristics by ultrasound that are infrequently misdiagnosed as something else. However, the results are not absolutely 100% certain unless a biopsy is performed and the tissue is evaluated under a microscope. Based on the description, it sounds like there's little chance you have anything to worry about. But given what you've been through already, it wouldn't hurt to get more peace of mind by taking a biopsy of the lump. Many women with fibromas request that the entire lump be removed but some may choose to let it go, based on their level of comfort.
  • websterbr
    websterbr Member Posts: 20
    Options
    kbsss said:

Did they take a biopsy?
    Did they take a biopsy? Fibromas have certain characteristics by ultrasound that are infrequently misdiagnosed as something else. However, the results are not absolutely 100% certain unless a biopsy is performed and the tissue is evaluated under a microscope. Based on the description, it sounds like there's little chance you have anything to worry about. But given what you've been through already, it wouldn't hurt to get more peace of mind by taking a biopsy of the lump. Many women with fibromas request that the entire lump be removed but some may choose to let it go, based on their level of comfort.

Hi Kbsss,
    Thank you for your

Hi Kbsss,

Thank you for your reply. I feel some relief. I have not had a biopsy but the more I think about it the more I would want it removed. Malignant for not it is not normal, why take the chance? I will see my GP next week and hopefully get more answers.

Thanks again.

Brandy
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    websterbr said:

Hi Kbsss,
    Thank you for your

Hi Kbsss,

Thank you for your reply. I feel some relief. I have not had a biopsy but the more I think about it the more I would want it removed. Malignant for not it is not normal, why take the chance? I will see my GP next week and hopefully get more answers.

Thanks again.

Brandy

If it were me, I would
    If it were me, I would probably insist on a biopsy also. Good luck with your doctor's appointment and post to let us know what he says.

Hugs, Lex
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Alexis F said:

If it were me, I would
    If it were me, I would probably insist on a biopsy also. Good luck with your doctor's appointment and post to let us know what he says.

Hugs, Lex

I think I'd want a biopsy
    I think I'd want a biopsy too. Peace of mind is worth everything.

Good luck,

Megan