Question for the Ladies

osmotar
osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
For those of us that lost all of our hair thru treatment, my hair is coming back in about 1/4 all over my head , not wanting to sounding toooo vain it's coming in gray and I think it makes me looked washed out..I've always been a redhead. I saw my stylist over the weekend and we discussed giving me some color, I am 2 months out of treatment...well I also called to speak to my onco nurse and she said to wait at least 6 months....can you give me some feedback as to what you all did if anything.

Thanks ,

Linda

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    I earned
    I earned each gray hair on my head! Sorry, I can't be of much help. I lost hair at the nape of my neck the first time (radiation only) my scalp itched for a long time, I didn't want to put any chemicals on my head. This second round seems to be thin only on one side in the back. No itching this time but still do not want to color.
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    You're faster than I am
    Gee, I haven't had chemo for 12 weeks, and I just have the smallest little sprouts on my head. Can't even tell the color for sure, or whether my family's pattern baldness is going to rear its ugly spectre. I had hair that wasn't much grey yet, and I wasn't pattern bald. We'll see. I don't like bald much. My head gets cold.

Now, the rest of me is a mess. Tell me why I lost my leg hair, but not my arm hair. I think I better stop mentioning where else before I embarrass myself.

P
  • osmotar

You're faster than I am
    Gee, I haven't had chemo for 12 weeks, and I just have the smallest little sprouts on my head. Can't even tell the color for sure, or whether my family's pattern baldness is going to rear its ugly spectre. I had hair that wasn't much grey yet, and I wasn't pattern bald. We'll see. I don't like bald much. My head gets cold.

Now, the rest of me is a mess. Tell me why I lost my leg hair, but not my arm hair. I think I better stop mentioning where else before I embarrass myself.

P

hair loss
    I hate the fact I have to shave my legs again...LOL , besides the gray hair on my head, my eyebrows and eyelashes remained all thru chemo, then sometime thru rads I lost them as the hair started to grow back every where else, they are still on the sparse side. I don't mind the short do, kinda like that and think I'll keep it short.

Linda
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    osmotar said:

hair loss
    I hate the fact I have to shave my legs again...LOL , besides the gray hair on my head, my eyebrows and eyelashes remained all thru chemo, then sometime thru rads I lost them as the hair started to grow back every where else, they are still on the sparse side. I don't mind the short do, kinda like that and think I'll keep it short.

Linda

Leg Shaving...
    One of Pat's pet peeves also..., LOL.
  • Roselvr
    Roselvr Member Posts: 30
    Look into colored mousse.
    Look into colored mousse. You can also look online to see if there are dyes made with something natural. QVC sells Jessica Simpson hair pieces that are really nice; my daughter has one. Depending on how much you're left with; one of these may work well as you heal. They look like real hair. Here is one I found Hairdo by Ken Paves link

Hairdo by Ken Paves Angled Cut Wig

You can buy them cheaper; we found my daughters on clearance
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Roselvr said:

Look into colored mousse. You can also look online to see if there are dyes made with something natural. QVC sells Jessica Simpson hair pieces that are really nice; my daughter has one. Depending on how much you're left with; one of these may work well as you heal. They look like real hair. Here is one I found Hairdo by Ken Paves link

Clairol..here I come..
    It was a good thing no one told me not to color my hair, because I continued to do so all through treatment! I like grey in carpets and couches but not on my head.
    Some people look fabulous grey, just not me right now.
    Of course, I would wait until you get the doctors all clear.

Sending you hugs!
    Stacey
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Roselvr said:

Natural is not always safer
    Many natural dyes are at least as toxic as synthetic ones. Even henna tends to build up heavy metals in your hear. And any permanent color will require peroxide, which is rough on tender skin.

It's tough to be patient, but scalp reactions make you even balder. Personally, I like grey hair (can you tell?).
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Finally gave in...
    My hair came back in a soft light brown with silvery gray "highlights" in it. Prior to treatment I had blonde highlights. I lasted for just about 21 months, and very recently allowed my hair dresser to lighten it so that the predominant highlight is again blonde. I asked about non-chemical colors and was told there are a number of products that 'stain' the hair, but my only option would have been a darker color. Didn't want to go there.

My onco nurse told me to wait at least six months, or risk killing off the new hair coming back in. Also, I wasn't much in the mood back then to face any more chemicals.

I've got eyelashes and eyebrows, but my chin hairs and upper lip hairs never came back. Sadly, my nose hairs haven't come back, either.

Deb
  • staceya
    D Lewis said:

Finally gave in...
    My hair came back in a soft light brown with silvery gray "highlights" in it. Prior to treatment I had blonde highlights. I lasted for just about 21 months, and very recently allowed my hair dresser to lighten it so that the predominant highlight is again blonde. I asked about non-chemical colors and was told there are a number of products that 'stain' the hair, but my only option would have been a darker color. Didn't want to go there.

My onco nurse told me to wait at least six months, or risk killing off the new hair coming back in. Also, I wasn't much in the mood back then to face any more chemicals.

I've got eyelashes and eyebrows, but my chin hairs and upper lip hairs never came back. Sadly, my nose hairs haven't come back, either.

Deb

Dr Mary..you look fabulous
    Dr Mary..you look fabulous in grey!
    chin hairs :(

Stacey
  • osmotar
    staceya said:

Clairol..here I come..
    It was a good thing no one told me not to color my hair, because I continued to do so all through treatment! I like grey in carpets and couches but not on my head.
    Some people look fabulous grey, just not me right now.
    Of course, I would wait until you get the doctors all clear.

Sending you hugs!
    Stacey

LOL
    I agree with grey carpets..just not my head...Oh well guess I'll wait...maybe I'll go to the makeup counter at Macy's instead...see what they can help me do with the washed out coloring in my face.
  • osmotar
    DrMary said:

Many natural dyes are at least as toxic as synthetic ones. Even henna tends to build up heavy metals in your hear. And any permanent color will require peroxide, which is rough on tender skin.

It's tough to be patient, but scalp reactions make you even balder. Personally, I like grey hair (can you tell?).

You
    have great looking hair.
  • Skiffin16
    staceya said:

Dr Mary..you look fabulous
    Dr Mary..you look fabulous in grey!
    chin hairs :(

Stacey

Goat...
    LOL, it's the hidden goat in you coming out....:)~

Just teasing Stacey girl...hope you are doing fine, you've been kinda quiet lately...do I need to start posting more fishing photos, LOL..

Best,
    John
  • Roselvr
    Roselvr Member Posts: 30
    DrMary said:

I haven't done any googling;
    I haven't done any googling; so I wasn't sure.

I had more written the other day but took it out. The reason I wouldn't use hair dye is after what I read about Vaseline; baby & mineral oil containing petroleum products & how over time it causes chronic lung issues. I read about it on a facebook parenting page. link.

After having chemo & radiation; I'd be cautious because your body chemistry could change & what didn't bother you at one time could really burn you or have long term effects.
  • staceya
    Skiffin16 said:

Goat...
    LOL, it's the hidden goat in you coming out....:)~

Just teasing Stacey girl...hope you are doing fine, you've been kinda quiet lately...do I need to start posting more fishing photos, LOL..

Best,
    John

I really do need to update
    I really do need to update the goat picture :)
    I seem to have become addicted to words with friends..and you csn words with friends know who you are who got me started....
  • Skiffin16
    staceya said:

I really do need to update
    I really do need to update the goat picture :)
    I seem to have become addicted to words with friends..and you csn words with friends know who you are who got me started....

Shell Bell..
    She plays that a lot also...

JG