Question about GLA

Options
Pattyn
Pattyn Member Posts: 47
Does anyone know if it is safe to take GLA Gamma-Linolenic-Acid? I don't want to take anything that would be a hormone as my doctor told me to stay away from anything that would replace hormones. I heard that GLA helps with nerve pain and hair and nail growth so I want to take it. Thanks.

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    GLA
    Sorry Patty, GLA is estrogenic. What type of nerve pain are you experiencing? You can take organic gelatin for your hair and nails. I use Great Lakes brand in my smoothies.
  • whiterose
    whiterose Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

GLA
    Sorry Patty, GLA is estrogenic. What type of nerve pain are you experiencing? You can take organic gelatin for your hair and nails. I use Great Lakes brand in my smoothies.

Vitamin D
    Hi Tethys.....A quick question.....Does Vitamin D have estrogenic effects? I've read conflicting reports that it's actually a hormone and that it increases the amount of estradiol in the bones. Any info? Thanks.....
  • Tethys41
    Options
    whiterose said:

Vitamin D
    Hi Tethys.....A quick question.....Does Vitamin D have estrogenic effects? I've read conflicting reports that it's actually a hormone and that it increases the amount of estradiol in the bones. Any info? Thanks.....

Vitamin D
    Whiterose,
    Vitamin D is a hormone, but I've not heard of this. And vitamin D actually is anti-estrogenic in fats. I have an appointment with my natruopath this week, and have some questions to ask her about vitamin D supplementation. I will ask her about this.
  • Pattyn
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Vitamin D
    Whiterose,
    Vitamin D is a hormone, but I've not heard of this. And vitamin D actually is anti-estrogenic in fats. I have an appointment with my natruopath this week, and have some questions to ask her about vitamin D supplementation. I will ask her about this.

Nerve pain
    I am having severe nerve pain in my upper thigh and groin. It is impossible to wear any underwear or pants that aren't baggy p.j.s. I have to go back to work next week and I am a teacher and need to move around a lot. The doctor said he hit a nerve when taking a lymph node and that it would take 6-12 months to heal. He gave me gabapentin and it is doing nothing.
  • Tethys41
    Options
    Pattyn said:

Nerve pain
    I am having severe nerve pain in my upper thigh and groin. It is impossible to wear any underwear or pants that aren't baggy p.j.s. I have to go back to work next week and I am a teacher and need to move around a lot. The doctor said he hit a nerve when taking a lymph node and that it would take 6-12 months to heal. He gave me gabapentin and it is doing nothing.

Pain
    You should talk to your doctor about the pain. He should be able to give you something for it. I had numbness along the outside of my left thigh due to something that happened to my nerve during surgery. Your doctor's estimate is aobut right 6 months to a year.
  • Pattyn
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Pain
    You should talk to your doctor about the pain. He should be able to give you something for it. I had numbness along the outside of my left thigh due to something that happened to my nerve during surgery. Your doctor's estimate is aobut right 6 months to a year.

Any suggestions as to what
    Any suggestions as to what works? I am seeing my primary tomorrow. My gyn/onc is two hours away in Milwaukee. I would like to get something so I can resume my daily activities. The two surgeries I had are nothing compared to this nerve problem......
  • Tethys41
    Options
    Pattyn said:

Any suggestions as to what
    Any suggestions as to what works? I am seeing my primary tomorrow. My gyn/onc is two hours away in Milwaukee. I would like to get something so I can resume my daily activities. The two surgeries I had are nothing compared to this nerve problem......

Pain management
    Patty,
    Hopefully someone else will chime in with pain killers that have worked for them. I was on multiple pain killers after surgery and throughout chemo, but none of them would work for you if you are considering driving to work, or working for that matter. Otherwise, hopefully your GP will have some ideas. Hope you find a solution.
  • Pattyn
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Pain management
    Patty,
    Hopefully someone else will chime in with pain killers that have worked for them. I was on multiple pain killers after surgery and throughout chemo, but none of them would work for you if you are considering driving to work, or working for that matter. Otherwise, hopefully your GP will have some ideas. Hope you find a solution.

Tethys41
    You have such good insight and I want to thank you for that. :). Hope all is well with you. Good thoughts and prayers going your way my friend. :)
  • Pattyn
    Options
    Pattyn said:

Tethys41
    You have such good insight and I want to thank you for that. :). Hope all is well with you. Good thoughts and prayers going your way my friend. :)

Tethys41
    And I would like to contact you directly if I could. I read your profile and you are very inspirational and I agree with what you wrote about cancer and how it effects ourselves and others.