Lump in armpit

rae_rae
rae_rae Member Posts: 300 Member
edited February 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all,

I usually hang out at the kidney cancer site as I had kidney cancer in 2010 and had my left kidney and adrenal gland removed. I just had a follow up ct scan on Tuesday and Wednesday morning I found a marble sized lump in my right armpit. It is hard and you can move the skin over it. It doesn't really hurt unless I push on it, even then its not really painful (feels like an old bruise).

Usually if the kidney cancer mets it's to lymph nodes closer to the kidney, the lungs, brain or bone which is why I am here. I will have my results and follow up appt and labs on Wednesday with my oncologist. I haven't told anyone about this yet. I hate being paranoid over every little thing I find but I guess that's part of the nature of having had cancer. Any suggestions?

Rae

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    The right plan...
    Seeing your oncologist as soon as possible...the earlier things are found, obviously the better....and smaller is better....my bc returned to my lymph nodes..not my breasts....

I wish you the best possible outcome...please keep us posted...we care...this is a wonderful, caring, supportive group of women...I have learned much from them....they have saved my sanity more than once!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Lump Found in Underarm
    Hi Rae,

About 2 1/2 years I was laying in bed and felt a lump in my right underarm area. I felt the left armpit and the two were definitely different. This went on for a couple of weeks and I decided that I needed to go to the doctor. The lump grew in that space of time and began to hurt,also. I ended up having a multitude of diagnostic tests/procedures including an excision biopsy and an axillary dissection as well as a breast MRI and a PET/CT scan (not in that order though). We ultimately determined that I had breast cancer. No lump of any kind was EVER found in my breast tissue. The only place there was a lump or mass was in my axillary lymph nodes. It took a specialized Tissue of Origin test to determine that the cancer had originated in my breast.

My advice to you: As quickly as possible please go to your oncologist for a consultation about this new issue. It may well be an infected lymph node (most are) but with a history of cancer you just cannot be too careful. Get it biopsied. Unfortunately just because you have survived one form of cancer doesn't mean you cannot get another form. I think the fact that I sought treatment early on prevented my cancer from becoming any worse.

May it be nothing at all. Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK.

IRENE
  • rae_rae

Lump Found in Underarm
    Hi Rae,

About 2 1/2 years I was laying in bed and felt a lump in my right underarm area. I felt the left armpit and the two were definitely different. This went on for a couple of weeks and I decided that I needed to go to the doctor. The lump grew in that space of time and began to hurt,also. I ended up having a multitude of diagnostic tests/procedures including an excision biopsy and an axillary dissection as well as a breast MRI and a PET/CT scan (not in that order though). We ultimately determined that I had breast cancer. No lump of any kind was EVER found in my breast tissue. The only place there was a lump or mass was in my axillary lymph nodes. It took a specialized Tissue of Origin test to determine that the cancer had originated in my breast.

My advice to you: As quickly as possible please go to your oncologist for a consultation about this new issue. It may well be an infected lymph node (most are) but with a history of cancer you just cannot be too careful. Get it biopsied. Unfortunately just because you have survived one form of cancer doesn't mean you cannot get another form. I think the fact that I sought treatment early on prevented my cancer from becoming any worse.

May it be nothing at all. Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK.

IRENE

Thank you
    For your replies. I hope it turns out to be nothing. I keep wondering if it could be mets from the kc but I cannot find any info on kc metastasizing to the armpit lymphnodes-everything keeps pointing to bc. Cancer sucks.
    Thank you,
    Rae
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    rae_rae said:

Thank you
    For your replies. I hope it turns out to be nothing. I keep wondering if it could be mets from the kc but I cannot find any info on kc metastasizing to the armpit lymphnodes-everything keeps pointing to bc. Cancer sucks.
    Thank you,
    Rae

We all agree cancer sucks.
    We all agree cancer sucks. The answer is breast cancer can show up this way as others have told you, however it could be something else too, that is benign. anyway I echo what the others have said, you need to get it checked out!
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Lump in Axilla
    Hi Rae,

My first recurrence with BC was a tumor in the armpit. I had a biopsy which showed it was breast cancer and that I remained ER & PR positive. I had 3 bouts of cellulitis prior to finding the tumor. As I saw it, a plumbing problem, with the lymph flow blocked by a tumor resulting in a backup (infection).

Since you have another type of cancer, it could be from this cancer. Cancer cells don't always know the rules and can go off the beaten path.

Wishing you the best,

Doris
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I found my original cancer
    I found my original cancer (triple negative IBC) with swelling in the left armpit. My swelling was different than what you describe, but you should still get it checked out. My doc started with a mammogram and ultrasound, then a biopsy.

Please let us know what happens, we're here for you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

I found my original cancer (triple negative IBC) with swelling in the left armpit. My swelling was different than what you describe, but you should still get it checked out. My doc started with a mammogram and ultrasound, then a biopsy.

Hugs,

Linda

Diagnostic mammogram
    Since you just have had a PET scan you might know the answer at your oncologist visit. Diagnostic mammogram will give the initial clue. Hopefully your oncologist will be fast and decisive. I found a lump under armpit almost 4 years ago. For diagnosis I had diagnostic monogram and ultrasound. Then I had a surgery. It was cancer.
    Wishing you the best. Let us know about results.
    New Flower
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hugs,

Linda

Sending positive thoughts
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers!

Hugs, Diane
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    rae_rae said:

Thank you
    Thank you,
    Rae

Praying it turns out to be
    Praying it turns out to be nothing too!

Hugs, Kylez
  • rae_rae
    DianeBC said:

Hugs, Diane

Update
    I had to cancel my oncologist appt for Wednesday due to an incoming winter storm but did see my Gp today. My scan results (for the kidney cancer surveillance) was good. My Gp is setting up an appt for ultrasound for the lump. She also said it could be an infected node but also wants to see if there is anything else going on. Thank you for all of your support. Will keep you posted on US results.

Rae
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    rae_rae said:

Update
    I had to cancel my oncologist appt for Wednesday due to an incoming winter storm but did see my Gp today. My scan results (for the kidney cancer surveillance) was good. My Gp is setting up an appt for ultrasound for the lump. She also said it could be an infected node but also wants to see if there is anything else going on. Thank you for all of your support. Will keep you posted on US results.

Rae

The best thing to do
    is to keep moving forward like you are and pray that it is something harmless. It truly could be. Better to investigate for the worst case scenario and find out is was something rediculous than to ignore it. You are on the right path.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    rae_rae said:

Update

Rae

Congrats on your scan
    Congrats on your scan results! Praying that you get good results on your ultrasound too. Post to let us know.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    rae_rae said:

Update

Rae

Good luck with your
    Good luck with your ultrasound. I will be looking for an update from you.

Hugs, Angie
  • rae_rae
    Angie2U said:

Good luck with your
    Good luck with your ultrasound. I will be looking for an update from you.

Hugs, Angie

US
    Ultrasound and mammogram is scheduled for March 7. The lump has shrunk a little after steroid shot (for back pain) on Monday so I am hopeful its nothing. I was due for my annual mammogram in March so decided to get both done. Thank you for your well wishes. I will update later. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Rae
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    rae_rae said:

US
    Ultrasound and mammogram is scheduled for March 7. The lump has shrunk a little after steroid shot (for back pain) on Monday so I am hopeful its nothing. I was due for my annual mammogram in March so decided to get both done. Thank you for your well wishes. I will update later. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Rae

Rae .. I will be thinking about you on Wednesday,
    March 7th .. I will be the Sister in PINK draped and ready for surgery (bilateral
    nipple reconstruction - I've been waiting 1 year) ...so don't be alarmed by
    my appearance there in your doctor's office.

Prayers and positive thoughts -- that you lump, results in no issues.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    rae_rae said:

US

Rae

Good luck on March 7th Rae.
    Good luck on March 7th Rae. Please post to let us know your results.

Hugs, Debby
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    DebbyM said:

Good luck on March 7th Rae.
    Good luck on March 7th Rae. Please post to let us know your results.

Hugs, Debby

Wishing you the best
    Wishing you the best tomorrow Rae. I'll watch for an update from you.

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    DianeBC said:

Hugs, Diane

Wishing both of you Rae and
    Wishing both of you Rae and Vicki good luck on this day.

Hugs, Jan