Can this cancer be beat? Help!

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here. I just found out on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 that my dad, age 69 has Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer that has spread to his liver. His liver has 5 tumors on it, the size of ping-pong balls. He is not a candidate for surgery I've learned at Stage 4.

He had a triple bypass in November 2010, and then had an aortic aneurysm fixed in October 2011. A lot for the guy in 1 year! For the past year since the triple bypass his weight dropped from about 185 to 160 (so 25 lbs). He is about 5'10. My parents thought the weight loss and weak feelings, etc were all due from the surgery, but apparently after further testing, they have discovered the cancer.

They live in Little Rock, Arkansas. The oncologist at the hospital has mentioned MD Anderson as an option (about 7 hrs south of them).

Any prognosis thoughts, advice on treatment, hospital/treatment center recommendations or any words of encouragement? I'm trying to stay away from googleing, as I'm just reading lots of disappointing survival rates, etc etc. :(

Thank you for any info. :)

A loving daughter in California.

PS...I just learned today in my mom's email "the biopsy of the GE junction shows a "grade 3 invasive adenocarcinoma". This confirms what the PET scan shows." What does that mean?

Comments

• Ginny_B
    Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
    There are usually 2 types -
    There are usually 2 types - adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma. Mom's cancer is at the GE junction too. 8 cm tumor. Her endoscopy and CT/PET scans confirm each others' results too. It's hard to hear this news. I'm so sorry you had to find this forum, but everyone here will be a tremendous wealth of information for you.

Hugs and prayers going your way!
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Sorry you had to find us....
    My 1st suggestion has got to be stay away from Google. Google has little good to share with you regarding EC.

The people you will "meet" here are living with EC or caregiving for EC survivors (immediately upon diagnosis all cancer patients are called survivors), or loving a family member or friend with EC. You will read truth, honesty (painful sometimes) and receive suggestions based on "real life" with EC.

Get as much information about your dad's tests, doctors, hospital of choice. We will help you as best we can. Has your dad had a 2nd opinion? Who are his doctors? We aren't trying to be nosy, but information is needed to be helpful. Someone here might have knowledge of your dad's med team. :)

We are here for you. If you like, please share your name. It would be easier than calling you "loving daughter".

with prayers for your family,

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx 05/19/11 T3N1M0
    28 Rads / 2 weeks inpatient Cisplatin & 5 FU
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11
  • TerryV said:

Sorry you had to find us....
    My 1st suggestion has got to be stay away from Google. Google has little good to share with you regarding EC.

The people you will "meet" here are living with EC or caregiving for EC survivors (immediately upon diagnosis all cancer patients are called survivors), or loving a family member or friend with EC. You will read truth, honesty (painful sometimes) and receive suggestions based on "real life" with EC.

Get as much information about your dad's tests, doctors, hospital of choice. We will help you as best we can. Has your dad had a 2nd opinion? Who are his doctors? We aren't trying to be nosy, but information is needed to be helpful. Someone here might have knowledge of your dad's med team. :)

We are here for you. If you like, please share your name. It would be easier than calling you "loving daughter".

with prayers for your family,

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx 05/19/11 T3N1M0
    28 Rads / 2 weeks inpatient Cisplatin & 5 FU
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11

My name is Susan. :)
    He

He hasn't had a second opinion yet. Great idea though. When I fly out next week, I'll mention that. When he goes for a second opinion, what kind of questions or different pathes should we be taking? I'll be open to anything I find. Would love any advice or thoughts on his current prognosis if possible.

Thank you for your kind prayers.
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887

He

He hasn't had a second opinion yet. Great idea though. When I fly out next week, I'll mention that. When he goes for a second opinion, what kind of questions or different pathes should we be taking? I'll be open to anything I find. Would love any advice or thoughts on his current prognosis if possible.

Others will be along better able to provide Stage 4 suggestions
    Hello Susan :)

Stage 4 is a difficult diagnosis. We have several Stage 4 members and caregivers that check in often to guide others facing this same diagnosis.

I'm certain that one of them will be along soon to provide suggestions.

Terry
  • GerryS
    GerryS Member Posts: 227 Member

He

Sorry........
    Susan, So sorry you find yourself in the turbulence of this disease. I cannot offer you much advice except to be positive. I will be praying for you and your family. God Bless...
    Gerry
  • sangora
    sangora Member Posts: 213
    GerryS said:

Sorry........
    Susan, So sorry you find yourself in the turbulence of this disease. I cannot offer you much advice except to be positive. I will be praying for you and your family. God Bless...
    Gerry

Can't Beat It
    As a stage IV myself I can attest that the first thing we want to know is how to beat it. Well, you can't at this stage. What a stage IV can do, is decide whether to take treatment as pallative care or do nothing and let the disease take its course. Pallative care does not provide a cure, but does often lenghten life and many of us who go this route have a decent quality of life. Some of us don't. Depends on how each persons body handles chemo. I have been at this for coming on 2 years and am on my 5th chemo drug. Fortunately for me, my body seems to do fine on the treatments. I have some side efects, but nothing severe. Others can not handle this at all. The other option is to do nothing and let the disease take its course, which it is going to do anyway. This is a very personal decision and no one can make it for him. The most important thing to extent life is ones attitude. If you the victim can stay positive and take each day as it comes enjoy that day and don't waste energy worring about things we can't control, life is better. I have gotten to the point after all these months that I view EC as more of a chronic disease that I am dealing with rather than a disease that is deadly and I can't do anything about. Eventually I will lose this battle, but in the mean time I am getting as much out of every single day as I can. Sam Stage IV
  • sangora said:

Can't Beat It
    As a stage IV myself I can attest that the first thing we want to know is how to beat it. Well, you can't at this stage. What a stage IV can do, is decide whether to take treatment as pallative care or do nothing and let the disease take its course. Pallative care does not provide a cure, but does often lenghten life and many of us who go this route have a decent quality of life. Some of us don't. Depends on how each persons body handles chemo. I have been at this for coming on 2 years and am on my 5th chemo drug. Fortunately for me, my body seems to do fine on the treatments. I have some side efects, but nothing severe. Others can not handle this at all. The other option is to do nothing and let the disease take its course, which it is going to do anyway. This is a very personal decision and no one can make it for him. The most important thing to extent life is ones attitude. If you the victim can stay positive and take each day as it comes enjoy that day and don't waste energy worring about things we can't control, life is better. I have gotten to the point after all these months that I view EC as more of a chronic disease that I am dealing with rather than a disease that is deadly and I can't do anything about. Eventually I will lose this battle, but in the mean time I am getting as much out of every single day as I can. Sam Stage IV

Oh Sam, you are such a
    Oh Sam, you are such a strong man and I admire your optimism and courage. I am so scared for my dad. I worry, a LOT. I'm not going to lie. I let too many unnecessary things bother me in life, and reading your words really makes me just want to see things the way you do. The way everyone in life should. I will let you know the update next week when I return.

Thank you everyone for replying to my post. :) I really appreciate it.

Susan
  • Court_Ren
    Court_Ren Member Posts: 27

Oh Sam, you are such a
    Oh Sam, you are such a strong man and I admire your optimism and courage. I am so scared for my dad. I worry, a LOT. I'm not going to lie. I let too many unnecessary things bother me in life, and reading your words really makes me just want to see things the way you do. The way everyone in life should. I will let you know the update next week when I return.

Thank you everyone for replying to my post. :) I really appreciate it.

Susan

Hang in there. My husband
    Hang in there. My husband also has stage IV EC, and he was diagnosed 7 months ago. We recieved a second opinion, and they both told us the same thing. This is not a disease that you can cure but you can manage the activity of the cancer. He has been to the Mayo clinic, and is now having treatments closer to home. I hate to have to say the thing that you don't want to hear, but from what I have been told by several Dr's there is no cure. Please stay away from google those searches will just make you want to throw up at the though of loosing your loved one so fast. The only thing you need to know is what his Dr's tell you and your family, you need to be there if he needs help, and love him. It is a nasty cancer, and it is no fun to watch the ones we love go through it, but with chemo they can sometimes get the cancer under control. My husband has EC in his liver, lungs, shoulder, and of course the mother of it all in his esophagus. His tumor is on the outside of this esophagus, which I am kind of glad for, because he hasn't needed a feeding tube yet. If the tumor grows it might happen, I just keep praying that the chemo does what it is suppose to. Your dad may also have many different chemo's as they have to keep tricking the cancer. My husbands first treatment 5fu only worked for 6 months, and after that scan it had matastasized to his lungs, so now he is on taxotere, and it causes lots of leg pain. Just hang in there, and if there is anything that you have questions about we have all been there so please don't hesitate to ask.
    God Bless
  • wifeofdan
    wifeofdan Member Posts: 7
    Court_Ren said:

Hang in there. My husband
    Hang in there. My husband also has stage IV EC, and he was diagnosed 7 months ago. We recieved a second opinion, and they both told us the same thing. This is not a disease that you can cure but you can manage the activity of the cancer. He has been to the Mayo clinic, and is now having treatments closer to home. I hate to have to say the thing that you don't want to hear, but from what I have been told by several Dr's there is no cure. Please stay away from google those searches will just make you want to throw up at the though of loosing your loved one so fast. The only thing you need to know is what his Dr's tell you and your family, you need to be there if he needs help, and love him. It is a nasty cancer, and it is no fun to watch the ones we love go through it, but with chemo they can sometimes get the cancer under control. My husband has EC in his liver, lungs, shoulder, and of course the mother of it all in his esophagus. His tumor is on the outside of this esophagus, which I am kind of glad for, because he hasn't needed a feeding tube yet. If the tumor grows it might happen, I just keep praying that the chemo does what it is suppose to. Your dad may also have many different chemo's as they have to keep tricking the cancer. My husbands first treatment 5fu only worked for 6 months, and after that scan it had matastasized to his lungs, so now he is on taxotere, and it causes lots of leg pain. Just hang in there, and if there is anything that you have questions about we have all been there so please don't hesitate to ask.
    God Bless

My husband has Stage IV also
    My husband also has Stage IV. He has not had a feeding tube, but rather had a stent placed. I read some negative thoughts on stents here, but it was a God send for my husband. Emotionally, he did not want a feeding tube. The stent allowed him to eat normally. Eventually it fell out and he is still able to eat on his own. His first chemo 'cocktail' worked great for about 6 months. Now we are seeing some new mets and they have switched up his cocktail. I think all we can do is to try to hold this cancer at bay for as long as possible and pray that a new trial for this cancer is successful. I have been reading about trials that are active all over the country, but I guess none of them have been successful. I am also devastated, but my husband has such an amazing attitude. We are trying to take one day at a time and enjoy life as much as possible. Fortunately the chemo side effects have not been too bad for him and he is still enjoying work and we are going on vacation next week. I am trying hard not to miss the good times by worrying about the future. "The secret to life is not about waiting for the rain to end, but rather learning to dance in the rain"..or something like that..I forget the exact quote but I try hard to live by it.
  • Raleighdon
    Raleighdon Member Posts: 11
    Beat It? Not Very Likely
    I will refrain from telling you can't beat this thing. At Stage IV, however, the likelihood of getting a full cure is greatly diminished. When I was first diagnosed in August of 2011, we weren't sure if I was stage II or Stage IV, because there was a lymph node in my neck that showed as possibly positive for cancer. A biopsy was attempted by because of the location (between the jugular vein and carotid artery, they were concerned about doing more damage than good so we decided to track it. During surgery this along with all the other lymph nodes in my neck were removed and a biopsy done, which proved positive, confirming I have Stage IV disease. All of the cancer was believed to have been removed, but no guarantees, since there can still be cancer that is undetectable to the CT scans. In early February, a CT scan was done and we found a new tumor on my right hip and possibly another one on my skull so I am now going through my second round of chemo and radiation. Will this "cure" the cancer? Not likely. But I've been recovering from the surgery, am back riding my bicycle a little bit and able to eat a regular diet, though I do continue with tube feeding to supplement my diet and keep from losing weight, as I can't eat ENOUGH. I don't know how long it will be in. I don't know whether we will find more tumors as time goes by or whether this will be it. Life is uncertain and about all I can do is life life for today, enjoying all of the many blessings each day has to offer.

Sunday, my wife and I rode our bicycles to the opera and back, enjoying a pleasant afternoon date. It was marvelous to be out in the sun, feeling the wind in my hair and chatting it up with my sweetheart. This Saturday we will celebrate 34 years of marriage and while the past 7 months has been difficult, it has given our relationship a new depth and proven to strengthen our love for each other.

Beating is probably not an option for me, but living meaninfully with it is an option that I choose to take.

I hope this helps, and wish you and your family every success in dealing with this disease. It ain't easy, but it's the journey we're all on and we can find a lot of strength by holding hands.
  • Beat It? Not Very Likely
    I will refrain from telling you can't beat this thing. At Stage IV, however, the likelihood of getting a full cure is greatly diminished. When I was first diagnosed in August of 2011, we weren't sure if I was stage II or Stage IV, because there was a lymph node in my neck that showed as possibly positive for cancer. A biopsy was attempted by because of the location (between the jugular vein and carotid artery, they were concerned about doing more damage than good so we decided to track it. During surgery this along with all the other lymph nodes in my neck were removed and a biopsy done, which proved positive, confirming I have Stage IV disease. All of the cancer was believed to have been removed, but no guarantees, since there can still be cancer that is undetectable to the CT scans. In early February, a CT scan was done and we found a new tumor on my right hip and possibly another one on my skull so I am now going through my second round of chemo and radiation. Will this "cure" the cancer? Not likely. But I've been recovering from the surgery, am back riding my bicycle a little bit and able to eat a regular diet, though I do continue with tube feeding to supplement my diet and keep from losing weight, as I can't eat ENOUGH. I don't know how long it will be in. I don't know whether we will find more tumors as time goes by or whether this will be it. Life is uncertain and about all I can do is life life for today, enjoying all of the many blessings each day has to offer.

Sunday, my wife and I rode our bicycles to the opera and back, enjoying a pleasant afternoon date. It was marvelous to be out in the sun, feeling the wind in my hair and chatting it up with my sweetheart. This Saturday we will celebrate 34 years of marriage and while the past 7 months has been difficult, it has given our relationship a new depth and proven to strengthen our love for each other.

Beating is probably not an option for me, but living meaninfully with it is an option that I choose to take.

I hope this helps, and wish you and your family every success in dealing with this disease. It ain't easy, but it's the journey we're all on and we can find a lot of strength by holding hands.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jgwright
    jgwright Member Posts: 242
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

New Treatments
    Well, I've moved from Stage III to Stage IV thanks to a metastasis to the adrenals. Much foul language ensues "Yit Acoshy PIT!"

Anyway some interesting stuff done with T-cells using the body's own immune system to fight off the cancer. No human trials yet. But things do happen. A lot is attitude!!!

--Jerry
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    jgwright said:

New Treatments
    Well, I've moved from Stage III to Stage IV thanks to a metastasis to the adrenals. Much foul language ensues "Yit Acoshy PIT!"

Anyway some interesting stuff done with T-cells using the body's own immune system to fight off the cancer. No human trials yet. But things do happen. A lot is attitude!!!

--Jerry

jg
    Much foul language for sure. What's the plan now? I'm going to hell for far worse than foul language - so if you want - I can step outside and let it fly for you. when you're up to it, let us know what you are planning for treatment and know that we have all been thinking about you and praying for you and Mrs. JG

Chin up - fight on!
    Judy & Don
  • jgwright
    jgwright Member Posts: 242
    JReed said:

jg
    Much foul language for sure. What's the plan now? I'm going to hell for far worse than foul language - so if you want - I can step outside and let it fly for you. when you're up to it, let us know what you are planning for treatment and know that we have all been thinking about you and praying for you and Mrs. JG

Chin up - fight on!
    Judy & Don

Da Plan
    Right now, going in for "advanced" chemo. Not sure of the full schedule, but next Tuesday, 4 hours of infusion, and then the feared PUMP with 5FU etc., for 48 hours. And we'll see how I respond.

Spring Teaching quarter starts April 2nd, and all things being equal, I'll start teaching again. As long as I feel halfway decent, I'm going back because I miss it very much. Right now, I feel 3/4 decent, so I have some slop. And I'm hoping for chemo on Wednesday or Friday because Friday is a non-teaching day, and it generally isn't until the 2nd day I feel like crap. So we'll just see, then, won't we?

NB, just bought a pair of 40" waist pants. It has been soooooo many years since I was that "small". And they fit just right. Scary, but the Doc says, "Don't lose any more weight." Easier said than done.

--Jerry
  • Freida
    Freida Member Posts: 182
    jgwright said:

Da Plan
    Right now, going in for "advanced" chemo. Not sure of the full schedule, but next Tuesday, 4 hours of infusion, and then the feared PUMP with 5FU etc., for 48 hours. And we'll see how I respond.

Spring Teaching quarter starts April 2nd, and all things being equal, I'll start teaching again. As long as I feel halfway decent, I'm going back because I miss it very much. Right now, I feel 3/4 decent, so I have some slop. And I'm hoping for chemo on Wednesday or Friday because Friday is a non-teaching day, and it generally isn't until the 2nd day I feel like crap. So we'll just see, then, won't we?

NB, just bought a pair of 40" waist pants. It has been soooooo many years since I was that "small". And they fit just right. Scary, but the Doc says, "Don't lose any more weight." Easier said than done.

--Jerry

Hi Jerry
    So sorry to hear of

Hi Jerry
    So sorry to hear of the spread. Heck swear all you want.

Bill has had the 5FU pump (we just call it the FU pump - seems very appropriate0. The first 2 months he would have the big infusion chemos and then the pump for 48 hours. Now he has the pump 5 days a week and gets the weekend off. He has not found it too bad at all, though is always very happy to get rid of his "baby" on fridays. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Want to hear a funny 5FU story. When we went to Charleston to visit our son, the plan was for me to disconnect the stupid pump but it wouldn't disconnect and we had to go to the ER. The doctor there was telling us another doctor there had been treated for skin cancer and had the 5FU applied direct to his face. This would make his face very red. When people would ask him what had happened to his face, he would just reply "F U" and walk off.

Best of luck - hope you can get back to enjoying your teaching soon.
    Freida

Freida
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    jgwright said:

Da Plan

--Jerry

Jerry! I've been wondering
    Jerry! I've been wondering what had happened with you. I'm so sorry to hear about your "upstaging". !#$@! I am glad to hear there is a plan in place for going forward. Hope you can get the scheduling to work out with getting back to teaching. One day, one step at a time, hopefully finding some joy in each one. You and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers for great success with the "advanced" chemo.

Angie DX Stage 2 Breast Cancer Dec 2011 on chemo
    Wife of Larry DX Stage IV EC late June 2011, 9 rounds chemo done, unexpected quadruple bypass surgery 1/20/12, starting new chemo 3/13/12
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    jgwright said:

Da Plan

--Jerry

Glad to hear that there is a plan
    Jerry,

I was wondering how the meeting with your oncologist went last week. I am glad there is a plan going forward. I know the wonderful 5 FU pump well. It was my constant companion 24/7 for 16 weeks.

I learned how to take a shower with the pump hanging outside the shower stall and the port site wrapped in plastic wrap.

I hope you have minimal side effects from the chemo.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Two year survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!