Shoot me now...PLEASE

CindyGSD
CindyGSD Member Posts: 190
edited February 2012 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
So I finished up with my 5th round of chemo last week, had severe joint pain and developed a cold on top of everything else. I've been as sick as I've ever been, feel like my lungs are on fire and haven't slept but a few hours since Saturday. I have not had a fever but I called my onc nurse today anyway and after conferring with the doctor they prescribed me a round of antibiotics even though my symptoms don't suggest a bacterial infection. The problem is that I have had my WBC counts drop dangerously low after every chemo treatment and I'm approaching that time where I will be in that danger zone and fighting a cold so they are trying to be preventive.

If I do develop a fever they've suggested a chest xray but right now its a wait and see approach. I was also told to use over the counter medicines as needed which was something I avoided lest it mask a fever.

Does this sound right? For some reason I thought a bigger deal would be made over having a severe cold, though without the fever, I guess being miserable isn't enough to warrant sending out the cavalry.

Cindy

Comments

• Tresia23
    Tresia23 Member Posts: 77
    Poor Cindy
    Hi, I really feel for you with the severe joint pain and now a cold. It sounds like your team has it in hand though. Antibiotics will give you cover meantime. If you develop fever the chest xray will also be helpful. Sometimes doctors and nurses try too hard to be calm and not react to our sense of anxiety. Sometimes I think it is more helpful for them to tune in to our fears and acknowledge them and talk through this stuff. Love, Georgia
  • pakb56
    pakb56 Member Posts: 141
    THAT SUCKS
    Being new to all of this I don't have any answers for you. I just wanted to say I hope you feel better. Getting sick is a big worry. I am constantly wasing my hands, using hand sanitizer, wiping down shopping carts.

I work from home but have to go into my office tomorrow. I have not gone in since before I got my life altering news. Gotta watch contact. I am meeting some new people and have to deal with hand shaking.

A whole new set of things we have to worry about....

Pat
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    HI Cindy: Hope by the time you read this blog you will be feeling better. Yes, The docs do prescribe antibiotics just in case especially with your wbc so low. Hang in there, this will all soon be in the past, you are almost done. Be well. June
  • Sara Zipora
    Sara Zipora Member Posts: 231
    Cold and...
    Overkill (to use a poor metaphor) with antibiotics gets secondary infections if not the common cold. To paraphrase Kipliling "your in the fight Kim". Keep up the good work fighting this dread thing. It's great your going to work and taking care of yourself. Continued strength
    and we're here for you.
    Sara
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

Cold and...
    Overkill (to use a poor metaphor) with antibiotics gets secondary infections if not the common cold. To paraphrase Kipliling "your in the fight Kim". Keep up the good work fighting this dread thing. It's great your going to work and taking care of yourself. Continued strength
    and we're here for you.
    Sara

Wow!
    Life just doesn't seem fair at times does it? You're in enough turmoil fighting cancer, then add on the colds and infection to fight and the body is really trying hard to keep you moving.

All you can do is what you can do!!!!! As I've always learned, tomorrow will be a better day and if not, the next day will be better.

Keep up the fight and before long you'll look back and wonder how the hell you ever made it thru, but you did, as you're living proof!!

You're in my thoughts Cindy!!
    Jan
  • CindyGSD
    CindyGSD Member Posts: 190
    jazzy1 said:

Wow!
    Life just doesn't seem fair at times does it? You're in enough turmoil fighting cancer, then add on the colds and infection to fight and the body is really trying hard to keep you moving.

All you can do is what you can do!!!!! As I've always learned, tomorrow will be a better day and if not, the next day will be better.

Keep up the fight and before long you'll look back and wonder how the hell you ever made it thru, but you did, as you're living proof!!

You're in my thoughts Cindy!!
    Jan

Thanks Ladies....
    I've completely lost my voice and if I try to speak above a whisper, I cough; but on the plus side, my sinus' seem to be draining so I don't have the miserable throbbing feeling. Didn't sleep last night either but I have higher hopes for tonight.

Tomorrow I have labs. Me thinks they won't be too good.

Take care all,
    Cindy
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    CindyGSD said:

Thanks Ladies....
    I've completely lost my voice and if I try to speak above a whisper, I cough; but on the plus side, my sinus' seem to be draining so I don't have the miserable throbbing feeling. Didn't sleep last night either but I have higher hopes for tonight.

Tomorrow I have labs. Me thinks they won't be too good.

Take care all,
    Cindy

Cindy --
    My husband saw his doc last month due to drainage and a bad cough...just couldn't get over it on his own. Doc told him there are around 5 strains of different illnesses going around, so he gave him an antibiotic that covered them all.

Get better and wish you good labs tomorrow!!
    Jan