medicare and me, oh my!

Options
Mwee
Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
I recieved my invitation to Medicare in the mail. I'm told that I'm eligible because I've recieved SSDI for two years. I want to make the right choices for supplemental and drug plans and I have about two months to decide. I've spoken to my ONC's business office, the hospital business office and was told to speak to my Pharmacist..... any other suggestions from any who have run this maze?
(((HUGS))) Maria

Comments

• annecris
    annecris Member Posts: 44
    Options
    AARP?
    Hello Hon - I was just accepted for SSDI and had been told that AARP supplemental had great plans - I called and the price was not bad either - I am not thrilled with the 2 year MEDICARE wait - it makes no sense - you are deemed disabled but denied medical coverage for 2 years ??!!! - but at lease i have coverage options to get me through while i wait - I have been told by other patients at Memorial Sloan Kettering where I am being treated that AARP is really good too - good luck - you are in my prayers - Annie
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Supplement
    When I was faced with the dilemma, I talked with the finance girl at my onc. office. She said that AARP was the best way to go. I did go with one of their plans and it has been good. I have been on it since July, 2011. There are some plans out there that you don't have to pay anything (don't go with this). They are HMO's. With an HMO you have to use their doctors and they only cover certain hospitals in your area. My supplement plan costs $142.00 a month. I gladly pay it so that I can go anywhere I want.

Linda
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    clamryn said:

Supplement
    When I was faced with the dilemma, I talked with the finance girl at my onc. office. She said that AARP was the best way to go. I did go with one of their plans and it has been good. I have been on it since July, 2011. There are some plans out there that you don't have to pay anything (don't go with this). They are HMO's. With an HMO you have to use their doctors and they only cover certain hospitals in your area. My supplement plan costs $142.00 a month. I gladly pay it so that I can go anywhere I want.

Linda

I will listen too
    for advice. I am not on SSI yet but I want to know the best route to take also. I still work part-time..I want to have hernia surgery and be out on DBL for awhile....val
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    annecris said:

AARP?
    Hello Hon - I was just accepted for SSDI and had been told that AARP supplemental had great plans - I called and the price was not bad either - I am not thrilled with the 2 year MEDICARE wait - it makes no sense - you are deemed disabled but denied medical coverage for 2 years ??!!! - but at lease i have coverage options to get me through while i wait - I have been told by other patients at Memorial Sloan Kettering where I am being treated that AARP is really good too - good luck - you are in my prayers - Annie

Annie,
    I hate to say this

Annie,

I hate to say this but I feel like they make us wait in hopes we don't make it the two years. I just got AHCCCS and it is taking a hug load off me. I now will only pay 5.00 for doctor visits instead of 50. I will pay only 2.30 for medications mine ran anywhere from 20-70 and the total bill for the month is 300.00 unless I get an infection and go on medication for that then it goes up. I hope I am wrong about medicare but that is how I feel they are just waiting for us to hopefully die but I am going to prove them wrong. I am going to make it and be around for a long, long time.

Hugs, Love, and Prayers going your way
    Anne