Good news after surgery

Options
Jessi1990
Jessi1990 Member Posts: 14
edited February 2012 in Esophageal Cancer #1
My grandfather had surgery yesterday. It took a little over five hours but the surgeon said it went great! Huge relief! They removed all the of the cancer and pathology proved that! My grandmother was able to see him yesterday and she said other then the obvious he looked good (good color). The doctor wants to keep him sedated because of his C.O.P.D. But hopefully they will cut back on that in a couple of days if not by tomorrow. The nurse said that he had a good night, he's responding to touch. He squeezes the nurses hand when she talks to him. We are going back up to the hospital so we can see him today. We praise the Lord that everything went well and I am grateful for you guys on this website!

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Great News!!!
    I am so glad the surgery went well for your Grandfather. Hoping for a quick recovery!!!!

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Options
    That is good news!
    We love these stories! So glad grandfather is doing well and grandmother also. It sure helps to have a great support system around you in times like this. We will pray for continued healing and let the good news keep on coming!

Judy
  • Jessi1990
    Options
    JReed said:

That is good news!
    We love these stories! So glad grandfather is doing well and grandmother also. It sure helps to have a great support system around you in times like this. We will pray for continued healing and let the good news keep on coming!

Judy

Thank yall for the prays and
    Thank yall for the prays and thoughts! My family is very grateful!
    I was able to see him today and he isn't sedated anymore, other then the pain meds. This morning he didn't have a morphine pump hooked up so the pain was killing him but now that he has that he looks and feels a lot better. He was sitting up in the bed talking and smiling with my grandma and I. His face lit up when I talked to him about his puppy dogs. I think that's one of the hardest parts for him, not being able to see them. His doctor expects him to be out of the ICU by tomorrow evening and in a regular room.
  • BobHaze
    BobHaze Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yahoo!
    Jessi:

That's such great news, that the surgery went well! That's a big hurdle, and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here on. There will be adjustments when he gets home, of course, and to some extent for the rest of his life, but now they've gotten the cancer out of him so that's obviously a very big deal.

Bob
    T1aN0M0
    dx 8/03/11
    MIE 9/23/11
  • Jessi1990
    Options
    BobHaze said:

Yahoo!
    Jessi:

That's such great news, that the surgery went well! That's a big hurdle, and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here on. There will be adjustments when he gets home, of course, and to some extent for the rest of his life, but now they've gotten the cancer out of him so that's obviously a very big deal.

Bob
    T1aN0M0
    dx 8/03/11
    MIE 9/23/11

Yes, it is awesome news!
    Yes, it is awesome news! Thank you for checking up on us Bob! You have been such a help and comfort!
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Jessi1990 said:

Yes, it is awesome news!
    Yes, it is awesome news! Thank you for checking up on us Bob! You have been such a help and comfort!

Happy for your family!
    So glad to hear that surgery went well! That's an accomplishment at any age :) I'm sure your grandmother can breath a bit better after hearing that he received a clean path report.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful news!

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx 05/19/11 T3N1M0
    28 Rads / 2 weeks inpatient Cisplatin / 5 FU
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11