Longterm Follow up for DCIS with BMX and No Reconstruction?

Options
cinnamonsmile
cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
edited February 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a BMX w/ no reconstruction for DCIS on 1.11.11. I had asked my surgeon last summer what kind of follow up I will have. She said my family dr. should show me how to do self chest exams now (I realize now SHE should have shown me. Don't know why she didn't and why I didn't think of it then). So, that's it. I realize since the cancer was only in the milk ducts and the milk ducts are now gone, that there is very little chance of me getting cancer back.

Just wondering what the protocol for some other women with low to mid grade DCIS and BMX with no reconstruction have?

Comments

• Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I had DCIS
    I had DCIS non invasive with a 1/2 centimeter tumor.I didn't have a masectomy but a lumpectomy.What my doctors suggested.It was also confined to the milk duct and a second surgery to check margins was done almost 3 weeks later.I see your DCIS was just in the milk ducts also. WAs it your decision to have the surgery you had w/o reconstruction or did your doctors say it was best??

I keep thinking I made the right decision.My friends had invasive bc and both are doing find after many years.They had lumpectomies.

Lynn Smith
  • cinnamonsmile
    Options

I had DCIS
    I had DCIS non invasive with a 1/2 centimeter tumor.I didn't have a masectomy but a lumpectomy.What my doctors suggested.It was also confined to the milk duct and a second surgery to check margins was done almost 3 weeks later.I see your DCIS was just in the milk ducts also. WAs it your decision to have the surgery you had w/o reconstruction or did your doctors say it was best??

I keep thinking I made the right decision.My friends had invasive bc and both are doing find after many years.They had lumpectomies.

Lynn Smith

It was my decision not to
    It was my decision not to have reconstruction and I am glad I didn't have a surgeon that was respectful of my decision and not pushy about getting reconstructed. If she was pushy about it, I would have fired her.

All pure DCIS is in the milk ducts. If just a little breaks out of the milk ducts, it is no longer DCIS, it is called DCIS w/microinvasions and Stage 1. That is how the head of the oncology dept. explained it to me.
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options

It was my decision not to
    It was my decision not to have reconstruction and I am glad I didn't have a surgeon that was respectful of my decision and not pushy about getting reconstructed. If she was pushy about it, I would have fired her.

All pure DCIS is in the milk ducts. If just a little breaks out of the milk ducts, it is no longer DCIS, it is called DCIS w/microinvasions and Stage 1. That is how the head of the oncology dept. explained it to me.

I DID NOT HAVE
    I DID NOT HAVE RECONSTRUCTION ETHER,I ALSO SEE MY ONC. EVERY 6 MONTHS AND JUST DO SELF EXAM.

HUGS FRANKIE
  • cinnamonsmile
    Options

I DID NOT HAVE
    I DID NOT HAVE RECONSTRUCTION ETHER,I ALSO SEE MY ONC. EVERY 6 MONTHS AND JUST DO SELF EXAM.

HUGS FRANKIE

Did you have DCIS Frankie?

Did you have DCIS Frankie?