Surgery finally happenng - need some help!

Options
Pam5
Pam5 Member Posts: 232
Hi Everybody,

I finished chemo January 3rd. Saw my surgeon, had a Pet Scan, Breast MRI, saw the plastic surgeon, had a chest wall MRI, and finally saw a thoracic surgeon. Tests were pretty good but they can't determine how deep the tumor is - hence the thoracic surgeon. Hopefully we won't need him. Surgery is set for March 6th.

I know the mastectomy will be pretty deep and pretty low on my rib cage below the breast. I know I'll have a couple of tubes after the surgery. I can't remember how long I had tubes in the last time, since it was 17 years ago and I still have chemo-brain. Does anyone have an idea of how long the tubes will be in? I thought I would be having the surgery before March 6h and made plans to go somewhere March 17th that will require about 2 1/2 hours of driving time each way. I will be riding - not driving. I don't know if this is possible or practical or even dangerous. The plastic surgeon is out of town so I can't ask him. The event involves tickets, which I will try to sell if it's really stupid for me to do this. If anyone has any thoughts I would be grateful to hear them.

Thanks so much,

Pam

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Hi Pam
    Everybody is different it is impossible to predict how long you will have your tubes. It is usually decided by the liquid/blood volume. Average is 5 to 10 days. I had mine for 7. The other element to consider is fatigue. Mastectomy is a major surgery, I am not sure it will be good for you to have 5 hour round trip plus event itself. On the other hand it might lift your spirit. I was 46 and I know I could not do 5 hours in the car and big event 10 days after my surgery.
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery and quick recovery from it.
    New Flower
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    We're all different!
    There is no way of knowing how long drains will be in. For me, 1 was taken out 2 weeks post mast. - the other 4 weeks but really should have been left longer. Still had a fair bit of drainage but surgeon thought the drain itself was causing it so took it out. Shouldn't have - wound up with significant seroma issues.

If there had been something I wanted to do 10 days after surgery that was 2 1/2 hrs away - I'd have done it - especially if I wasn't doing the driving. If I was driving or 'worried' and I really wanted to do it - then I'd have gotten a motel room for the night.

No matter what you decide to do about going - Have fun on St. Paddy's Day!

Susan
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    UGGHHH! I hated those
    UGGHHH! I hated those tubes! Mine were in for a very long time. Almost 5 weeks on one side and 7 on the other!!!! My surgeon said he'd never had a patient have them in that long, but they just kept draining!! He said the more active you are, the more you drain.
    At least once they were out I had very little swelling and not issues of sarcoma...or whatever it is :)!
    They are ANNOYING and hard to arrange the seatbelt around, but I went to my daughters a couple weeks after and it was a 4 hour drive. I did it without any issues. But yes, fatigue is another problem, so make sure you are feeling up to just the drive itself let alone messing with the tubes!! But I was glad to be somewhere I enjoyed being!! So I would give a go if you aren't too tired!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Hi Pam
    Everybody is different it is impossible to predict how long you will have your tubes. It is usually decided by the liquid/blood volume. Average is 5 to 10 days. I had mine for 7. The other element to consider is fatigue. Mastectomy is a major surgery, I am not sure it will be good for you to have 5 hour round trip plus event itself. On the other hand it might lift your spirit. I was 46 and I know I could not do 5 hours in the car and big event 10 days after my surgery.
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery and quick recovery from it.
    New Flower

Wishing you the best of luck
    Wishing you the best of luck Pam with your surgery and for a fast recovery. Keep us updated as to how you are.

Hugs, Debby
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Options
    Hope this helps
    Hi, Pam,

I do agree that everyone is different. I had heard stories of women whose drains were out in about seven days, but mine stayed in for close to three weeks. I didn't like it, but fluid kept coming out so I had to deal with it. I did do some traveling with the drains in (to drop off and take kids to the relatives for their vacation). The best advice I can give is for you to stop and stretch your legs from time to time. When we stopped at Subway for lunch I actually stood the whole time. It is doable, just have some tylonol with you just in case.

Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Dorene
  • Pink755
    Pink755 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Absolutely go
    Absolutely, go. But remember to get out of the car every hour and walk around to prevent blood clots and bring pillows to support your arms and cushion against bumps in the road.
    Have fun! (Driving - different challenge) Big shirts will hide the drains.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Jobi said:

Hope this helps
    Hi, Pam,

I do agree that everyone is different. I had heard stories of women whose drains were out in about seven days, but mine stayed in for close to three weeks. I didn't like it, but fluid kept coming out so I had to deal with it. I did do some traveling with the drains in (to drop off and take kids to the relatives for their vacation). The best advice I can give is for you to stop and stretch your legs from time to time. When we stopped at Subway for lunch I actually stood the whole time. It is doable, just have some tylonol with you just in case.

Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Dorene

Good luck Pam with your
    Good luck Pam with your surgery!

Sue :)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Pink755 said:

Absolutely go
    Absolutely, go. But remember to get out of the car every hour and walk around to prevent blood clots and bring pillows to support your arms and cushion against bumps in the road.
    Have fun! (Driving - different challenge) Big shirts will hide the drains.

I wanted to say good luck
    I wanted to say good luck also Pam with your surgery.

Hugs, Diane