Describe For Me "Physical Cancer Pain"

Options
Because I never officially had EC (only a tiny bit of my tumor lit up) and my tumor was completely removed, I never had radiation and/or chemo. But I did have excruciating esophageal pain for 3 three years due to complications from my surgeries. There were many times after hours of vomiting where I'd be screaming and writhing in pain. I'm not trying to garner any sympathy here I'm just curious if people can chime in and explain the pain associated with EC, radiation, chemo.

Where does it exactly hurt?

How long?

What can it be compared to?

Sharp or dull?

Do heavy duty pain meds help?

Comments

• BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Options
    Sounds rough. Don't know
    Sounds rough. Don't know what other treatment you had per se or just what they did to your esophagus. Did you have a feeding tube? I can't imagine having esophageal surgery and not having something to assist your food intake, but I know so little.

Did they just remove the tumor or remove a bunch of the esophagus?

From my husband's experience, even with feeding tube, etc., (he had the Ivor-Lewis procedure), he experienced unbelievable pain at times. Water burned his throat.

If he eats incorrectly, even now, some two years later, he will have stomach pressure that can be debilitating. Most of the time he is a happy camper and glad to be alive.

Sounds like you are past the terrible pain; hope you are anyway. Will be interested to read what answers you receive. BMGky
  • Callaloo
    Callaloo Member Posts: 135
    Options
    There isn't one kind of cancer pain
    For years before my diagnosis, and even now some times, I have a crushing chest pain which feels like a heart attack. In fact, I was prescribed nitrostat (same thing they use for angina pain). The doctors now think it was heartburn, precursor to the EC. That pain has, for the most part disappeared, since my esophageal tumor was zapped by radiation.

The pain associated with radiation and chemo is specific to the treatment. Radiation pain affected me in the throat. I couldn't swallow. Each chemo drug produces it's own brand of pain. For me it was abdominal -- felt like cramps or gas pain. This pain is controlled with drugs, and generally goes away when you stop taking the chemo.

My small tumors produce minor pain, mostly by impinging on an organ or other tissue. Just feels like I have a small stone or sometimes it feels like a pulled muscle. Sometimes worse than others. Larger tumors produce more annoying pain, but in a similar way.

Sometimes I have generalized pain in my bones, rib cage, etc. It just aches like the flu.

Seems like with EC, it's always something.

I hope you're not still experiencing the kind of pain you describe.