Chemo not working and ca-125 up

Options
I just found out today that my CA-125 has gone from 35 to 101 in 3 weeks. I just had my 6th round of taxotere/carbo for 2nd recurrence and it's no longer working. I was hoping to get some remission time from that combo as it always worked in the past. Will meet with my oncologist next week to discuss options. Possibly a clinical trial or avastin. Any thoughts?

Comments

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    So sorry that your chemo is not working
    I don't have any specific information related to a clinical trial or avastin but wanted you to know that I'm praying that you and your oncologist will come up with a game plan that works for you.

Kelly
  • dreamer007
    dreamer007 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    chemo not working
    i was on carbo/taxol, but that combo stopped being effective, and was
    switched to gemzar/carbo which worked out for me

today, is the two years since diagnosis day and i am so glad to still be
    kickin it!

wishing you the best and to be in remission soon!

dreamer
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am to new to this game so
    I am to new to this game so I don't have any thoughts but I will be praying for you and asking God to place his healing hands on you. I am on avastin as a maitances chemo but no long enough to really know if it is working. My number have gone up in the past month from 6-96 but my catscan is clear.

Anne
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options

I am to new to this game so
    I am to new to this game so I don't have any thoughts but I will be praying for you and asking God to place his healing hands on you. I am on avastin as a maitances chemo but no long enough to really know if it is working. My number have gone up in the past month from 6-96 but my catscan is clear.

Anne

so sorry to hear this
    i am so sorry to hear this news
  • AnotherChance
    AnotherChance Member Posts: 8
    Options
    My mom was on gemzar and it
    My mom was on gemzar and it did not work for her. Then followed avastin. It didn't work either, but it did help dry out the fluids. But did you try any other meds?
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

My mom was on gemzar and it did not work for her. Then followed avastin. It didn't work either, but it did help dry out the fluids. But did you try any other meds?

sorry
    maybe you need a dose dense of carbo...hope you get in remission
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

sorry
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

sorry

Taxol can be given weekly
    Taxol can be given weekly (dose dense) but never carboplatin as there would be too much bone morrow suppression.

Do a Google search for a recently published article titled The Role of Sulfur in Platinum Chemotherapy for Cancer.

That research explains chemoresistance to platinum therapy. I am going to try a vegan diet for a week after carbo to see if I can maximize the benefit of the treatment. There is sulfur in the amino acids from animal sources of protein. There is also sulfur in alpha lipoic acid.

You might be on gemcitabine next. That seems to be the routine second choice chemo.