H E L P Any input would be appreciated

Options
mszw2
mszw2 Member Posts: 4
H E L P H E L P need some input on tram flap and recovery.

Well, I have been so busy supporting my daughter with her brain cancer, that I have neglected the breast cancer support network other than calling newly diagnosed patients to offer help thru ACS.
Here's my new story and I could REALLY use some input. For the second time I was diagnosed with ductal insitu. Yes same breast and only 3 years later while taking TX. Go figure. This time I decided for a bilateral mastecomy. Had the mastectomy & expanders then implants. Not to menthion 2 more visits to the hospital for infection from the drain and then infection from who knows what. So, then I had the expanders our and implants in. Low and behold the right breast where I had radiation the first time didn't like the implant. So now I am having a tram flap done on the right side. This will happen in 5 days. Here's where I need imput and experiences shared. RECOVERY...I'm told I may have met my match as far as pain tolerence goes. In addition, I was wondering what helped for comfort levels, moving, sitting, stairs etc... Any imput will be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I had a tram years ago.
    I had a tram years ago. Here is what helped me (some of it I learned in nursing school and some by experience):
    1) Please know that pain meds are not just prescribed for pain. They are prescribed because they help you to walk and move sooner which equals faster healing.
    2) Take your pain meds, wait about 15 minutes and then walk a little as soon as you have the ok. Walking will help you heal and decrease many adverse surgical effects such as blood clots, muscle wasting, bladder infections, etc. Bedrest is your enemy (but don't go crazy and do too much; you just need to walk a little).
    3) Anticipate your pain. Pain meds work best on mild to moderate pain. If you wait until you are in severe pain, you will have to take more with less effect. Also, anticipate the time it will take for the nurses to bring you your pain meds (unless you are on a pump).
    4) Pain meds may cause nausea. Always take them on a full stomach and ask for an anti-nausea if needed. If you don't have a standing order for an anti-nausea, ask the nurses to call the doc on call. Often the nausea is dose related, so try pill splitting and taking less if needed. And you may do better on one med over another. For example, percocet always makes me nauseated, but a low dose of lortab and Ino nausea.
    5) Pain meds will cause constipation. Stock up ahead on prunes (or whatever works for you)and ask your doctor for recommednations. Keep well hydrated and that will help too.
    6) Give yourself time. My tram (a pedicled tram--not sure that they even still do those?) took me 6 weeks to fully recover. Every day I was better, but it took time. If you are having a free flap tram, you will have a shorter recovery.

Hope this helps! Good luck and I am praying for you. Please let us know how you do.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

I had a tram years ago.
    I had a tram years ago. Here is what helped me (some of it I learned in nursing school and some by experience):
    1) Please know that pain meds are not just prescribed for pain. They are prescribed because they help you to walk and move sooner which equals faster healing.
    2) Take your pain meds, wait about 15 minutes and then walk a little as soon as you have the ok. Walking will help you heal and decrease many adverse surgical effects such as blood clots, muscle wasting, bladder infections, etc. Bedrest is your enemy (but don't go crazy and do too much; you just need to walk a little).
    3) Anticipate your pain. Pain meds work best on mild to moderate pain. If you wait until you are in severe pain, you will have to take more with less effect. Also, anticipate the time it will take for the nurses to bring you your pain meds (unless you are on a pump).
    4) Pain meds may cause nausea. Always take them on a full stomach and ask for an anti-nausea if needed. If you don't have a standing order for an anti-nausea, ask the nurses to call the doc on call. Often the nausea is dose related, so try pill splitting and taking less if needed. And you may do better on one med over another. For example, percocet always makes me nauseated, but a low dose of lortab and Ino nausea.
    5) Pain meds will cause constipation. Stock up ahead on prunes (or whatever works for you)and ask your doctor for recommednations. Keep well hydrated and that will help too.
    6) Give yourself time. My tram (a pedicled tram--not sure that they even still do those?) took me 6 weeks to fully recover. Every day I was better, but it took time. If you are having a free flap tram, you will have a shorter recovery.

Hope this helps! Good luck and I am praying for you. Please let us know how you do.

Didn't have a tram but
    sending prayers for speedy recovery and manageable pain.

I just had a latissimas dorsi flap 5 weeks ago and have been doing well. Stay hydrated, take your meds, and walk a little as soon as you can. Keep us posted.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    sending pixie dust your
    sending pixie dust your way..

Denise