mamographic film

Options
Rosi
Rosi Member Posts: 69
edited February 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
did anybody had a mamographic film? I have to have one and I am so scard, I just lost my dear husband to the evil lung cancer.

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Never heard of it, but
    I am

Never heard of it, but
    I am so sorry you lost your husband. Cancer is a hard road.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Never heard of it, but I am
    Double post
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Never heard of it, but I am
    Double post

Below is what I found :
    The study showed that digital mammography was significantly better that film mammography in screening women who were under age 50, or women of any age who had very dense breasts.
    Digital mammography allows improvement in image storage and transmission because images can be stored and sent electronically.
    Secondary goals measuring the relative cost-effectiveness of both digital and film technologies, and the effect on participant quality of life due to the expected reduction of false positives are still being assessed and will be reported at a later date.
    Death rates from breast cancer have been declining since 1990, and these decreases are believed to be the result, in part, or earlier detection and improved treatment.

STUDY BACKGROUND

1.How is digital mammography different from film mammography?

Both digital and film mammography use X-rays to produce an image of the breast.
    In film mammography, which has been used for over 35 years, the image is created directly on a film. While standard film mammography is very good, it is less sensitive for women who have dense breasts. Prior studies have suggested that approximately 10 percent to 20 percent of breast cancers that were detected by breast self-examination or physical examination are not visible on film mammography. A major limitation of film mammography is the film itself. Once a film mammogram is obtained, it cannot be significantly altered; if the film is underexposed, for example, contrast is lost and cannot be regained.

Digital mammography takes an electronic image of the breast and stores it directly in a computer. Digital mammography uses less radiation than film mammography. Digital mammography allows improvement in image storage and transmission because images can be stored and sent electronically. Radiologists also can use software to help interpret digital mammograms. One of the obstacles to greater use of digital mammography is its cost, with digital systems currently costing approximately 1.5 to 4 times more than film systems.

2.How was DMIST conducted?
    The Digital Mammographic Imaging Screening Trial (DMIST), begun in October 2001, enrolled 49,528 women, who had no signs of breast cancer, at 33 sites in the United States. On the appointment day, women provided background health information and filled out brief questionnaires. They also had both digital and film mammograms taken on that day, each with a minimum of two views of each breast. Two different certified radiologists interpreted the conventional and digital mammogram exams for each individual patient. All radiologists who participated read both types of mammograms, and each radiologist read approximately an equal number of mammograms of each type.
    Participants were asked to return in one year for their annual mammogram. At that time, a mammogram was performed as part of routine health care. Women who were not able to return to the same site as in year one were asked to submit films from another institution for review by study radiologists.

3.Why was DMIST important?
    For women, breast cancer is the most common non-skin cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States. Death rates from breast cancer have been declining since 1990, and these decreases are believed to be the result, in part, of earlier detection and improved treatment.
    DMIST was performed to measure relatively small, but potentially clinically important, differences in diagnostic accuracy between digital and film mammography. While any differences that were detected might be relatively small, they could improve breast cancer detection for all or some groups of women.

Digital mammography is a newer technology that is becoming more common. Currently, approximately 8 percent of breast imaging units provide digital mammography. Past trials of digital mammography have shown no difference in diagnostic accuracy between digital and film mammography. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) trials and three smaller screening trials showed no significant difference in the performance of digital mammography vs. film mammography. These studies were limited, however, because they each included only one type of digital detector and had relatively small numbers of patients, perhaps limiting their ability to detect small differences in diagnostic accuracy.

4.Who were the women who enrolled in DMIST?
    Over 49,500 women who were requesting their usual breast cancer screening mammogram were recruited at 33 sites in the United States and Canada. The women had no breast cancer symptoms, and they agreed to undergo a follow-up mammogram at the same participating site or provide their mammograms from another institution for review one year from study entry. All women reviewed and signed the study consent form.
  • Rosi
    Rosi Member Posts: 69
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Below is what I found :
    The study showed that digital mammography was significantly better that film mammography in screening women who were under age 50, or women of any age who had very dense breasts.
    Digital mammography allows improvement in image storage and transmission because images can be stored and sent electronically.
    Secondary goals measuring the relative cost-effectiveness of both digital and film technologies, and the effect on participant quality of life due to the expected reduction of false positives are still being assessed and will be reported at a later date.
    Death rates from breast cancer have been declining since 1990, and these decreases are believed to be the result, in part, or earlier detection and improved treatment.

STUDY BACKGROUND

In film mammography, which has been used for over 35 years, the image is created directly on a film. While standard film mammography is very good, it is less sensitive for women who have dense breasts. Prior studies have suggested that approximately 10 percent to 20 percent of breast cancers that were detected by breast self-examination or physical examination are not visible on film mammography. A major limitation of film mammography is the film itself. Once a film mammogram is obtained, it cannot be significantly altered; if the film is underexposed, for example, contrast is lost and cannot be regained.

Digital mammography takes an electronic image of the breast and stores it directly in a computer. Digital mammography uses less radiation than film mammography. Digital mammography allows improvement in image storage and transmission because images can be stored and sent electronically. Radiologists also can use software to help interpret digital mammograms. One of the obstacles to greater use of digital mammography is its cost, with digital systems currently costing approximately 1.5 to 4 times more than film systems.

The Digital Mammographic Imaging Screening Trial (DMIST), begun in October 2001, enrolled 49,528 women, who had no signs of breast cancer, at 33 sites in the United States. On the appointment day, women provided background health information and filled out brief questionnaires. They also had both digital and film mammograms taken on that day, each with a minimum of two views of each breast. Two different certified radiologists interpreted the conventional and digital mammogram exams for each individual patient. All radiologists who participated read both types of mammograms, and each radiologist read approximately an equal number of mammograms of each type.
    Participants were asked to return in one year for their annual mammogram. At that time, a mammogram was performed as part of routine health care. Women who were not able to return to the same site as in year one were asked to submit films from another institution for review by study radiologists.

For women, breast cancer is the most common non-skin cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States. Death rates from breast cancer have been declining since 1990, and these decreases are believed to be the result, in part, of earlier detection and improved treatment.
    DMIST was performed to measure relatively small, but potentially clinically important, differences in diagnostic accuracy between digital and film mammography. While any differences that were detected might be relatively small, they could improve breast cancer detection for all or some groups of women.

Digital mammography is a newer technology that is becoming more common. Currently, approximately 8 percent of breast imaging units provide digital mammography. Past trials of digital mammography have shown no difference in diagnostic accuracy between digital and film mammography. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) trials and three smaller screening trials showed no significant difference in the performance of digital mammography vs. film mammography. These studies were limited, however, because they each included only one type of digital detector and had relatively small numbers of patients, perhaps limiting their ability to detect small differences in diagnostic accuracy.

Over 49,500 women who were requesting their usual breast cancer screening mammogram were recruited at 33 sites in the United States and Canada. The women had no breast cancer symptoms, and they agreed to undergo a follow-up mammogram at the same participating site or provide their mammograms from another institution for review one year from study entry. All women reviewed and signed the study consent form.

Thank you Vicky Sam
    Now I understand a much better what I have to face on friday.....what ever they tell me, I am ready. After what happeng to my husband you never now what is nest.
    thank you friend and blessings
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rosi said:

Thank you Vicky Sam
    Now I understand a much better what I have to face on friday.....what ever they tell me, I am ready. After what happeng to my husband you never now what is nest.
    thank you friend and blessings

Rosi .. Let us know how it goes today .. okay?
    post when you can.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Below is what I found :

STUDY BACKGROUND

digital vs film
    While digital is better for women with dense breasts, there are still a decent percentage of women whose cancer will not be caught with digital mammography because their breast are still too dense. The monthly self exam and annual clinical exam are still important! If you have strong family history of BC before age 50, insist on breast MRI. Especially if you have dense breasts.
    There is a software that scans the images and highlights suspicious areas. This is kind of like having 2 sets of eyes looking at the films. Everything is still read by the Rads. Having docs trained to read digital images is also important.
    Kaiser has just upgraded all the clinics with digital units. I am not sure if it's all of Northern CA or just he Bay Area. I remember hearing that in California about 50-75% of the mammo centers are digital. But I have had chemo since so I am not sure about that number.
    Our clinic just got a Hologic digital unit by Lorad. GE is one of the other types. The images are amazing compared to film. There are some quirky issues with positioning, but it is still basically the same exam from the patients point of view.
    We need women designing the machine if we want one that is less uncomfortable!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Rosi .. Let us know how it goes today .. okay?
    post when you can.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

Rosi, just wondering how
    Rosi, just wondering how your test went and if you have your results yet.

Hugs, Kylez