neuropathy and B-12

Options
angiedryden
angiedryden Member Posts: 58
edited February 2012 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Has anyone had injections of B-12 to help with neuropathy? My mom is having a rough time getting up from a chair and walking. She is now using a walker and is afraid to even go out and check her mail. She has one more treatment left this month of 6 rounds of carbo/taxol. This is due to a reoccurance. She didn't seem to have this problem with her first 6 rounds of chemo. Would really appreciate any info.

Thanks,

angie

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    B injections
    While I was in treatment, I always received a B12 AND B6 injection the day before chemo. I managed not to have much neuropathy. I think it was actually the B6 that addressed the neuropathy.
  • Barneygirl
    Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I am taking alpha-lipoic
    I am taking alpha-lipoic acid and had been doing B-12 injections for years, but my osteopath switched me over to Metanx. That is what he is perscribing for his patients instead of the injections. It is a perscription B-complex formula and is commonly used for diabetic neuropathy. Ask your doctor about it and good luck!
  • angiedryden
    angiedryden Member Posts: 58
    Options

I am taking alpha-lipoic
    I am taking alpha-lipoic acid and had been doing B-12 injections for years, but my osteopath switched me over to Metanx. That is what he is perscribing for his patients instead of the injections. It is a perscription B-complex formula and is commonly used for diabetic neuropathy. Ask your doctor about it and good luck!

ty
    Thanks for the info ladies.
  • RoseyR
    RoseyR Member Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yes, I insisted on them!

B-12 deficiency runs in my family so having done online research on causes of chemo-induced neuropathy, I found a few articles that warned that low levels of B12 make one especially vulnerable to neuropathy.

I went to my internist and asked for a blood test of my B12.

Sure enough, my level was quite low (normal is 200-800, and mine was about 300 but my integrative doctor warned, "You really want your levels to be at least 500 before starting chemo."

I had told my oncologist I was concerned about B-12 but did SHE ever order a blood test for me? No, had to do it myself.
    Once I reported that the level was low, she agreed I could have a B-12 shot.

But had I not gone to another doctor to have my blood tested, my cancer treatment center (one of "the ten best in America") would never have KNOWN my B12 is low, for they don't even test for it. Hard to believe, but true.

Rosey
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    RoseyR said:

Yes, I insisted on them!

B-12 deficiency runs in my family so having done online research on causes of chemo-induced neuropathy, I found a few articles that warned that low levels of B12 make one especially vulnerable to neuropathy.

I went to my internist and asked for a blood test of my B12.

Sure enough, my level was quite low (normal is 200-800, and mine was about 300 but my integrative doctor warned, "You really want your levels to be at least 500 before starting chemo."

I had told my oncologist I was concerned about B-12 but did SHE ever order a blood test for me? No, had to do it myself.
    Once I reported that the level was low, she agreed I could have a B-12 shot.

But had I not gone to another doctor to have my blood tested, my cancer treatment center (one of "the ten best in America") would never have KNOWN my B12 is low, for they don't even test for it. Hard to believe, but true.

Rosey

Peripheral neuropathy
    You are on the right track and it is highly likely that your mom has a B12 deficiency.

Low levels of B12 (below 500) can cause peripheral neuropathy on it's own. I think 50% of Americans who are > 50 years old have suboptimal B12 levels. Especially, where there are concurrent digestive difficulties.

Most oncologists are on board with using B6 (50mg/day) to prevent chemo-induced neuropathy... I think there must be some scientific evidence behind It.

I think acupuncture helps neuropathy, too...but not if there is an underlying B12 deficiency.
  • whiterose
    whiterose Member Posts: 89
    Options
    carolenk said:

Peripheral neuropathy
    You are on the right track and it is highly likely that your mom has a B12 deficiency.

Low levels of B12 (below 500) can cause peripheral neuropathy on it's own. I think 50% of Americans who are > 50 years old have suboptimal B12 levels. Especially, where there are concurrent digestive difficulties.

Most oncologists are on board with using B6 (50mg/day) to prevent chemo-induced neuropathy... I think there must be some scientific evidence behind It.

I think acupuncture helps neuropathy, too...but not if there is an underlying B12 deficiency.

Toes Are Numb
    My toes are numb after 8 rounds of chemo (carbo/taxol). It's not too bad, just annoying. Once in a while, it throws me off balance, and I find I can't wear flip-flop type of shoes anymore, because my toes can't "grab" onto the shoe. I'm currently taking B-6 (100 mg.) once a day. Should I be taking B-12 also? And at what dosage? My onc. really isn't into vitamins, doesn't have any information when I ask questions about this.....
  • RoseyR
    Options
    whiterose said:

Toes Are Numb
    My toes are numb after 8 rounds of chemo (carbo/taxol). It's not too bad, just annoying. Once in a while, it throws me off balance, and I find I can't wear flip-flop type of shoes anymore, because my toes can't "grab" onto the shoe. I'm currently taking B-6 (100 mg.) once a day. Should I be taking B-12 also? And at what dosage? My onc. really isn't into vitamins, doesn't have any information when I ask questions about this.....

Instead of 100 mgs of B-6 ...

What I'd suggest (since B vitamins are synergistic and work together--so that a huge dose of one without any of the others can atrophy levels of the others) is that you take 50 mgs of B6 twice a day. B vitamins are water-soluble, so makes more sense to spread the dosage out over the course of a day.

But from all I've read, I would NOT take B-6 by itself, but be sure to take a good multivitamin (or a B-Complex vitamin) that supplies at least 20 mgs of each of the OTHER B vitamins as well. This should help to prevent an imbalance.

I might also try 200-400 mgs of Vitamin E succinate (dry vitamin E capsules) a day--as well as alpha lipoic acid (start with 200 mgs a day and gradually work up to 600 a day).

Finally: A product called "Nerve Support" contains a form of B1 called "Bentofiamine" that is often useful in preventing and treating neuropathy.

Best luck,
    Rosey
  • RoseyR
    Options
    whiterose said:

Toes Are Numb

B-12 supplement

You might ask your internist or GP to test your blood for vitamin B-12 level. It should be at least 500. If not, I'd ask for an injetion and then take 1,000 micrograms a day sublingually--ONE pill under your tongue once or twice a day.

Solgar makes a good sublingual form of B-12.

Best,
    Rosey