Metastatic or not ?

Options
Hi from snowy London (UK) guys!

Quick background:

Mum 49yrs old dx April 11 poorly differentiated adenocarcimoma with signet rings. Stent fitted, dysphagia resolved. Had PET scan which revealed cealiac lymph node enlarged and superior anterior mediastinum lymph node enlarged. Declared not suitable for surgery, fine needle aspiration cancelled.

Since then she's had 2 x EOX, 6 x ECX, 6 x herceptin. Report from scan in November 2011 reads : 'No metastatic disease. Few local nodes. No evidence of progression. Stent in situ'.

Maybe I am misinterpreting this, but does this mean the lymph modes (that made her condition metastatic) are no longer there?? Is this possible? At the last meeting the drs still deemed her unsuitable for surgery and instead decided to give her 5 lots of radiotherapy.

Other than some peripheral neuropathy she is fine. Eating is ok and has been ok all the time the stent has been in. I know surgery is the best chance of a cure and I guess what I'm asking is do you think I should be seeking alternative medical opinions about this??

Thanks for any help you may offer.

Comments

• sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Options
    Welcome to our board,
    If the

Welcome to our board,
    If the scan indicated "no metastic disease", yet the doctor is saying she's not a candidate for surgery, I would have to have answers. I would get a second opinion. This is always a good idea with any diagnosis.
    Good luck, Sandra
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Absolutely get a 2nd!
    One answer - especially one answer that doesn't include surgery for a Stage 3 - is never enough of an answer. Get a 2nd opinion as soon as possible. EC doesn't wait....

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx 05/19/11, T3N1M0
    28 rads, 2 weeks in-patient Cisplatin / 5FU
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11