Infection at the port site

Options
Jobi
Jobi Member Posts: 211
Has anyone gotten redness/infection at the port site? I am here for my chemo session and brought the redness to their attention. They put me on Cipro to treat it, but I am still unclear as to what causes it. They just said it happens. Can anyone give me more insight than that?

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problem
    I haven't had any problem with my port and redness/infection. As with any injection or draw, there is always the potential for infection as the skin is compromised because of the needle going in. Certainly they do try to prevent infections but it is always a possibillity. My port has been in for 2 1/2 yrs, was accessed 4 times for A/C and 12 for Taxol. Since the end of Taxol, it has been accessed 24 times for the monthly flushes with no signs of infection at all. We~e all different.

Hope that helps a bit..

Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I haven't had any problem
    I haven't had any problem with my port and redness/infection. As with any injection or draw, there is always the potential for infection as the skin is compromised because of the needle going in. Certainly they do try to prevent infections but it is always a possibillity. My port has been in for 2 1/2 yrs, was accessed 4 times for A/C and 12 for Taxol. Since the end of Taxol, it has been accessed 24 times for the monthly flushes with no signs of infection at all. We~e all different.

Hope that helps a bit..

Susan

Yes, I had several .. however, my port was
    located at my inner upper right arm. So my port did get snag on clothing - and really
    didn't have a clear passage for air. Constant rubbing == ouch~! It took time, and
    several rounds of antibiotics, but my infection did clear. From what I can remember,
    several months --- yikes.

Hoping that your infection clears up quickly.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Yes, I had several .. however, my port was
    located at my inner upper right arm. So my port did get snag on clothing - and really
    didn't have a clear passage for air. Constant rubbing == ouch~! It took time, and
    several rounds of antibiotics, but my infection did clear. From what I can remember,
    several months --- yikes.

Hoping that your infection clears up quickly.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam

Thanks!
    Finally, someone who has been there on this one! I was starting to think it was just me. I remember it started with the constant rubbing against clothes. I have started to keep a bandaid on it and some Neosporin too.

Thanks!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Jobi said:

Thanks!
    Finally, someone who has been there on this one! I was starting to think it was just me. I remember it started with the constant rubbing against clothes. I have started to keep a bandaid on it and some Neosporin too.

Thanks!

Yes, I did that as well... so sorry I forgot to
    mention in my post to you, Jobi.

Sometimes .. common sense is our biggest asset..

Vicki Sam
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Same here, different area though
    My port didn't get infected, but my incision did. I came down with a staph infection right on the incision. It turned a blazing red and was warm to the touch. Setbacks happen. Hope the antibiotic drug they prescribed takes care of the problem in a jiff!

Best of luck with your recovery.