Husband had surgery yesterday

My husbands surgery was yesterday. We had to be there by 6:00am and his surgery was 7:30am. It lasted until 1:00pm, (although he did tell me that there was a 45 minute prep time in the operating room). The surgeon told me that it was better than he expected. That he had to take out less than he though because the tumor had shruk so much. He reattached the colon so no bag (forgot the correct word).

I got to see my husband for about 10 minutes in recovery. Then after about 1-1/2 hrs he got a room, private yay. We didn't stay long once he got a room because he wanted to go to sleep. His father was also going up a little after we left to see him. I sat there from 6:am until 3:00pm. It was a very long day. But I am so glad that it went well and that part of this is over. Now we (he) has to deal with the pain of recovery. Oh he was so happy when I told him he didn't have a bag.

Thank you all for your help during this. I know I couldn't answer anyone elses questions, because I just didn't have any answers, but you all answered mine.

Thank you again.

Michele

Comments

• buckeye2
    buckeye2 Member Posts: 428 Member
    It sounds like all went
    It sounds like all went well. My only advice is that in the days ahead your job will be that of case manager and advocate. Don't expect the hospital staff to fulfill those two roles. During my husband's post op stay I made sure he was getting what he needed, especially when it came to the pain meds. I am happy you are on this side of the operation. That pre-op anxiety is no fun. Lisa
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    buckeye2 said:

It sounds like all went
    It sounds like all went well. My only advice is that in the days ahead your job will be that of case manager and advocate. Don't expect the hospital staff to fulfill those two roles. During my husband's post op stay I made sure he was getting what he needed, especially when it came to the pain meds. I am happy you are on this side of the operation. That pre-op anxiety is no fun. Lisa

yay!
    Glad it went well. Rest up. I hope you have a comfortable chair or recliner in your room. Your husband has pain meds and will want to rest a lot. That's OK, as long as he gets his walking in....
    Very important to avoid blood clots. Walk as much as they tell him to walk. He will want to use pain meds before walking, if he is due to have some. It's ok.
    Happy for you this is on the √completed side.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Hi Michele,
    I'm so glad to

Hi Michele,

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well, that's great news. :-)

(Now don't forget to take care of yourself too, you'll need plenty of rest to be able to take care of your hubby when he gets home.) :-)

Hugs,

Cyn
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    That's wonderful
    That's wonderful news---exhale now. Thanks for sharing.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Michele:
    Wonderful news. Now get some rest, get a good meal yourself, a glass of wine if you are so inclinded and give your hubby a hug.

Take care - Tina
  • mef123
    mef123 Member Posts: 45
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your comments. I am trying to get some sleep. It's hard though. My son is very upset by all of this. He's 13 and very close to my husband, all he wants is his dad home. :(

Michele
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    mef123 said:

Thanks
    Thank you all for your comments. I am trying to get some sleep. It's hard though. My son is very upset by all of this. He's 13 and very close to my husband, all he wants is his dad home. :(

Michele

Dear Michele
    Glad to hear taht hubby is doing better.

Check with your local American Cancer Society about a support group for your son. It might be helpful for him.

Best wishes to you all and for hubby's return home soonest.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    YAY!! great news. Such a
    YAY!! great news. Such a relief when its over.
    hugs, Judy
  • Carl_Renee
    Carl_Renee Member Posts: 84
    YAY
    So glad everything went well. the wait time is so agonizing.
  • Carl_Renee
    Carl_Renee Member Posts: 84
    mef123 said:

Thanks

Michele

be there for him
    Our kids are 17, 14 and 11 so definitely know where you are coming from. The first round 1 1/2 yrs ago was such a shock, this round not sure what to call yet but total frustration. Our son will be 12 in April and he and my husband were suppose to go to Hunter Safety next week however my husband goes back in for another tumor removal that was just discovered. This has definitely upset our son as he was so excited. He did the he hates cancer speech, he is mad at it....encourage those feelings to come out and they are all legit, share your feelings. But he is now excited to go have a sleepover with friends w/o his sisters lol-just him and his dog. Told him postponing til fall for HS isn't so terrible just means it will be fresher in his brain for the season.

Find laughter where you can and get him to join in, definitely look for the blessings along the way. He may want to be over helpful just help him understand any boundaries of too much and it is okay to relax. Hang in there.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    That's good
    I'm glad it went well!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Michele
    Thanks for letting us know how it went. Marvelous!!!!
    Winter Marie