Radiation

Options
Lisaepstein
Lisaepstein Member Posts: 62 Member
starting radiation soon what should I expect? My doctor said I go 5 x a week for 5 weeks. One positive thing my brca1 and 2 test came back negative.

Comments

• creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Radiation
    For me, the radiation treatment was much easier than chemo. It does become an exhausting trip as you get further and further into the treatment. However, once completed, you should begin to gain strength and get back to a more "normal" you. Be careful with the burning that can happen with radiation. Your radiologist can help with creams and advice on how to keep from having too much of a problem. Good luck on your journey. It will be over before you know it. Hugs, Judy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Radiation
    For me, the radiation treatment was much easier than chemo. It does become an exhausting trip as you get further and further into the treatment. However, once completed, you should begin to gain strength and get back to a more "normal" you. Be careful with the burning that can happen with radiation. Your radiologist can help with creams and advice on how to keep from having too much of a problem. Good luck on your journey. It will be over before you know it. Hugs, Judy

I ONLY did radition and
    I ONLY did radition and HAPPY to say NOT one SIDE effect...no fatige, burn, chapped, tired..I just had large tan square on my chest. I did dry run where they did tattos (DOTS) and made form fitted mold for my body SO I laid exactly the same each time. MY center gave me swipe pass with photo, as soon as I walked in I swiped went and changed..they would come take me to treatment...mine only took about 5-10 mins in room by the time set me up/ ajusted or moved me. I did mine daily on my lunch hour (worked only 15 mins away) I was given some sample lotion which I used often, daily!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Radiation

I got exhausted from rads,
    I got exhausted from rads, really exhausted. Use your creams from the first day, get lots of sleep, eat well and even exercise helps. Also, don't rub your skin, be gentle with it.

Good luck!
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    how are your treatments going?
    I am winding down with my rad treatments. My last regular radiation treatment, number 28, will be on 2/20. Then I have 8 boosts to go through.

Exhaustion is the one of the problems. For me, burning is the other. I have 2nd and 3rd degree burns and my cuts/scars are separating from the treatments. I started the burn cream but the doc is worried about the separation. The boosts are supposed to be very high radiation doses.

I don't know about you but having to walk through doors that say Cancer Center is very mentally distressing. SO, knowing that the light at the end of the tunnel is so close makes me want to continue and move on with my life.

I wish you best of luck and hope you are doing well.

xoxo
    Mary
  • Lisaepstein
    Lisaepstein Member Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

how are your treatments going?
    I am winding down with my rad treatments. My last regular radiation treatment, number 28, will be on 2/20. Then I have 8 boosts to go through.

Exhaustion is the one of the problems. For me, burning is the other. I have 2nd and 3rd degree burns and my cuts/scars are separating from the treatments. I started the burn cream but the doc is worried about the separation. The boosts are supposed to be very high radiation doses.

I don't know about you but having to walk through doors that say Cancer Center is very mentally distressing. SO, knowing that the light at the end of the tunnel is so close makes me want to continue and move on with my life.

I wish you best of luck and hope you are doing well.

xoxo
    Mary

depressed
    The whole thing about cancer is depressing. I start my radiation on Monday and I am not worried about the radiation the thing that worries me is that it will come back!