I may be able to donate my kidney to my son!

Options
roseann4
roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
Some of you may remember that my breast cancer was discovered when I had a mammogram so I could donate my kidney to my son. That was 3years ago. In December I read in one of the threads on the boards that we can donate blood after 2 years. So I called the Yale transplant center and they say giving my kidney to Rob presents no cancer risk for him. They have some concern that there is a 15 percent recurrence risk for me after 10 years. I could also get hit by a bus! Please pray that they will take my kidney. Because of his blood type, it will be at least 3 years more of waiting for a donor.

Would you take the risk?

Roseann

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Kidney Donation
    Hi Roseann,

Would I take the risk? For my child, you bet I would. To me part of being a parent means doing what I can to make the life of my child easier, better, safer AND healthier than it would otherwise be. If it literally takes a piece of me then so be it. I don't think I could live with myself if my refusal to donate caused my child to die. Could you imagine waiting around for the next 3 years and watching your son deteriorate? As long as both you and your son are completely aware of the risks and benefits involved I say go for it. What you are considering doing is a truly giving, noble thing.

IRENE
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Kidney Donation
    Hi Roseann,

Would I take the risk? For my child, you bet I would. To me part of being a parent means doing what I can to make the life of my child easier, better, safer AND healthier than it would otherwise be. If it literally takes a piece of me then so be it. I don't think I could live with myself if my refusal to donate caused my child to die. Could you imagine waiting around for the next 3 years and watching your son deteriorate? As long as both you and your son are completely aware of the risks and benefits involved I say go for it. What you are considering doing is a truly giving, noble thing.

IRENE

Best wishes!!!!
    What a wonderful thing to be able to do for your son! God bless you both.....have you had all the testing yet, to know for sure you're a match? You gave him life once and I pray you can do it again!

Wishing you both all the best....PLEASE keep us posted
    Hugs, Nancy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Best wishes!!!!
    What a wonderful thing to be able to do for your son! God bless you both.....have you had all the testing yet, to know for sure you're a match? You gave him life once and I pray you can do it again!

Hugs, Nancy

Oh, wow, Roseann,
    what an incredible gift to give your dear son. I hope and pray this works out for both of you. Like you, I wouldn't even think about that 15% chance.

Keep us informed.

Hugs and prayers, Renee
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options
    missrenee said:

Oh, wow, Roseann,
    what an incredible gift to give your dear son. I hope and pray this works out for both of you. Like you, I wouldn't even think about that 15% chance.

Keep us informed.

Hugs and prayers, Renee

I would totally take the
    I would totally take the risk..I pray that all goes well for you and your son

Hugs
    Eva
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    What great news!
    I wouldn't even hesitate. My son has a blood disorder with the only cure being a bone marrow transplant, I was so disappointed when I found out I couldn't donate bone marrow (this was 4 months b4 recurrence). For my child there is nothing I wouldn't do.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'd do it in a heart beat
    For my Son or someone else who needed it. I'll worry about me if something might happens later. Who knows a tornado might get me next srmmer or a mountain lion eat me while I walk my Corgi at the park (we're very rural and there have been close sightingings).

About 15 yrs ago there was a smal boy in the area who needed a kidney but none of his family could donate to him. They had a big 'Drive' in the area to find a donor and they did But I didn't match. I was on the national listing for a long time.

It was in Dec I found out I could donate blood again and did. Can again next Mon but going to wait til March as I have cataract surgeries later in the month so think it makes more sense to wait a month.

Prayers for your Son and you!

Susan
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I'd do it in a heart beat
    For my Son or someone else who needed it. I'll worry about me if something might happens later. Who knows a tornado might get me next srmmer or a mountain lion eat me while I walk my Corgi at the park (we're very rural and there have been close sightingings).

About 15 yrs ago there was a smal boy in the area who needed a kidney but none of his family could donate to him. They had a big 'Drive' in the area to find a donor and they did But I didn't match. I was on the national listing for a long time.

It was in Dec I found out I could donate blood again and did. Can again next Mon but going to wait til March as I have cataract surgeries later in the month so think it makes more sense to wait a month.

Prayers for your Son and you!

Susan

I'll know next week if the will let me donate.
    Thanks for your encouraging words. I'll keep you posted.

Roseann
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Best wishes!!!!

Hugs, Nancy

I pray you will be a match!
    I pray you will be a match! So happy for the two of you!

Hugs, Jan
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Roseann

Roseann good news
    Good news. The risk sounds worth to take. Hopefully you both will have many happy years together.
    Hugs
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Roseann good news
    Good news. The risk sounds worth to take. Hopefully you both will have many happy years together.
    Hugs

Good Luck to your both!
    Of course there's a risk. There's a risk in crossing the street. There's a risk in climbin in the shower. For your child. . . . it's worth it. You took a risk even giving birth but it's what we do.

Prayers for both of you!
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    skipper54 said:

Good Luck to your both!
    Of course there's a risk. There's a risk in crossing the street. There's a risk in climbin in the shower. For your child. . . . it's worth it. You took a risk even giving birth but it's what we do.

Prayers for both of you!

Of course I would
    take the risk. I don't think there are many of here that wouldn't do that for our children.

Let us know if you're a match.

Hugs and prayers for both of you, Debi
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    wow hope all works out
    wow hope all works out ...

thinking of you...

Denise
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

wow hope all works out
    wow hope all works out ...

thinking of you...

Denise

Roseann .. I have so much admiration for you ...
    Praying it all works out for the two of you!

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Of course I would
    take the risk. I don't think there are many of here that wouldn't do that for our children.

Let us know if you're a match.

Hugs and prayers for both of you, Debi

Praying Roseann that this
    Praying Roseann that this will work out. What an amazing gift!

Hugs, Megan
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Roseann

You are amazing!
    I pray that you will be able to donate to your son Roseann. You truly are amazing! The best to you both!

Hugs, Lex
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Roseann .. I have so much admiration for you ...
    Praying it all works out for the two of you!

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam

Donating a Kidney
    I am a regular on the Kidney Cancer Board and checked this board out when the Komen controversy arose and noticed this post

Nine and one half years ago I lost a kidney to kidney cancer. I am doing fine now. There are some minor issues with only having 1 kidney like watching diet and blood pressure, but overall I lead a very normal life at age 68 with one kidney,

Since I will never ever be able to donate a kidney I have nothing but admiration for those who would consider making such a gift, The surgery is not fun (a Nepherectomy)nor is the recovery, but it was necessary for me and anyone who does this by choice is a saint.

Icemantoo
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Oh Roseann, how brave of you
    Oh Roseann, how brave of you to want to still donate your kidney after all that you have been through. The beauty of being a mother is the love we have for our children and what we are willing to do for them because of that love. Our children need to know this unconditional love and what a way to express it by donating your kidney. I would probably take the risk too for my daughter. It would be worth it!

I pray that it all works out for you and your son.
  • marymcg
    marymcg Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!
    I'm trying to donate to my husband & was just diagnosed with stage 0 dcis breast cancer. I was told that as soon as the pathology comes back fine, I'll be able to donate. I'm having the breast doctor talk to the kidney doctor to make sure I don't compromise the transplant. I'll change the lumpectomy to a double mastectomy if that makes them happy. I'm fortunate that I just need a pretty low level of care. My husband has about 6 months to a year left on his kidneys before he needs dialysis.

Go for it Roseann

I'll be keeping you in my prayers.