BRCA1, Grapefruit, and Strontium

Tethys41
Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
Hi ladies,

I'm an ovarian cancer survivor who learned some interesting things from my naturopath today. Sorry, I cannot quote the sources, as she said these were just small mentions in larger, unrelated papers. BRCA1 positive wormen should NEVER eat grapefruit as it interferes wtih the p450 pathway. And BRCA1 women should not take strontium, as it increases their risk of heart attack and stroke.

Take care

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Storntium 90 = Nasty Radiation
    My first thought was "Why would anyone take Strontium 90? It's majorly radioactive!". Stontium90 fallout from the above ground nuclear tests in the 1950's was the main reason they were banned. (Yes -I am old enough to remember that time and for a short time lived not too far from some of those tests.) So I did a little googling and found out that it's Strontium 90 that is radioactive not Strontium in it's other forms. There has been some studies on it helping with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis so I'm going to ask my PA about perhaps adding it as I deal with both.

The only time grapefruit or grapefruit juice was mentioned to me was while on Adriamycin. They were very EMPHATIC about none whileon it. I don't remember the reason as I didn't pay much attention to that as there was no way I'd have anything grapefruit - I HATE it. There was nothing said about other citrus - I asked about that as I LOVE my Florida Oranges and juice.

Susan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Rague said:

Storntium 90 = Nasty Radiation
    My first thought was "Why would anyone take Strontium 90? It's majorly radioactive!". Stontium90 fallout from the above ground nuclear tests in the 1950's was the main reason they were banned. (Yes -I am old enough to remember that time and for a short time lived not too far from some of those tests.) So I did a little googling and found out that it's Strontium 90 that is radioactive not Strontium in it's other forms. There has been some studies on it helping with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis so I'm going to ask my PA about perhaps adding it as I deal with both.

The only time grapefruit or grapefruit juice was mentioned to me was while on Adriamycin. They were very EMPHATIC about none whileon it. I don't remember the reason as I didn't pay much attention to that as there was no way I'd have anything grapefruit - I HATE it. There was nothing said about other citrus - I asked about that as I LOVE my Florida Oranges and juice.

Susan

I remember someone saying
    I remember someone saying something about not eating grapefruit if you are on Tamoxifen, but, I don't remember why.