Esophageal Ulcers

Options
Well, my wife and I were wondering why it still hurt to swallow now that several weeks have gone by after rads/chemo. Talked to the oncologist and said swallowing is still hard, and it hurts, could we stretch the esophagus?

Scheduled an endoscopy for yesterday, and they did a stretch, but guess what? The reason why it hurts has nothing to do with cancer (the tumor didn't even show up!!!) but because that whole section down there is ulcerated. Research tells me that radiation can often cause ulcers, which cause nausea, and a whole slew of other problems.

Who knew??? So I have a request into the gastroenterologist to find out what can be done to heal this mess up, so that I can eat comfortably.

So more information for us all.

--Jerry

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jgwright
    jgwright Member Posts: 242
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Life After MIE
    I still weigh 220+ pounds, and should be weighing about 180 or so. So I have a bit to lose. Which no doubt I will. I don't remember the "after" pictures, because sometimes your missives are so data heavy that I look at some of the info, and then because it is late... Go to bed. Like right now.

--Jerry
  • Ginny_B
    Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
    Options
    Wow, maybe this is what my
    Wow, maybe this is what my mom's problem is! She's having a horrible time with pain and Chemo and Rads stopped 1/6/12! Endoscope is set for Thursday. CT/PET on the 16th. Tumor be gone!
  • emma1981
    emma1981 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Jerry,

My mom had the same problem with her tumor and the surrounding area becoming ulcerated. Her doctors prescribed Carefate (sp?) one hour to 20 minutes before meals to coat the esophagus. This might help you get some food down without so much pain. I must warn you it is a bit pricey in the liquid form...but the tablets are also effective when dissolved in water proof to taking and less expensive. Just an idea, maybe your Dr. will think it will work for you as well.

Sorry I wish I could do more,
    Emma
  • jgwright
    jgwright Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Biopsy Report
    Got my biopsy report from the endoscopy after chemo/rads. The tumor shrunk significantly, but there is residual cancer in the esophagus as well as that big honking ulcer. Surgery is still scheduled for Mar 2nd. I'll be meeting with my surgical team next Thursday for a CT scan, and we'll just see what happens.

Still. Yesterday was the best day I've had in over a month.

--Jerry
  • Ginny_B
    Options
    jgwright said:

Biopsy Report
    Got my biopsy report from the endoscopy after chemo/rads. The tumor shrunk significantly, but there is residual cancer in the esophagus as well as that big honking ulcer. Surgery is still scheduled for Mar 2nd. I'll be meeting with my surgical team next Thursday for a CT scan, and we'll just see what happens.

Still. Yesterday was the best day I've had in over a month.

--Jerry

What are they doing for the
    What are they doing for the ulcer? Mom tried the carafate - didn't help. I really think this must be her problem at the moment. She's in such pain despite the 30 mg Morphine and 4 mg Hydromorphone.

Tomorrow is her EGD (or is it EDG) scope and biopsy followed by internal radiation. We'll be all day at the hospital. I'm hoping the scope tells us what's going on in the esophagus.

Her gasgro doc and rads doc will be treating her tomorrow. Onc doc ordered the biopsy.

I feel so helpless to her pain.
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Ginny_B said:

What are they doing for the
    What are they doing for the ulcer? Mom tried the carafate - didn't help. I really think this must be her problem at the moment. She's in such pain despite the 30 mg Morphine and 4 mg Hydromorphone.

Tomorrow is her EGD (or is it EDG) scope and biopsy followed by internal radiation. We'll be all day at the hospital. I'm hoping the scope tells us what's going on in the esophagus.

Her gasgro doc and rads doc will be treating her tomorrow. Onc doc ordered the biopsy.

I feel so helpless to her pain.

Thinking of you both tomorrow
    Know that you and your mother will be in our prayers tomorrow for a good scope.

Love & Hugs,

Terry
  • Wife of patient 50378
    Options
    prescription prilosec
    Hi Jerry, my husband had the same issues.

First Magic Mouth Wash- termporary pain relief,numbs but wears off fast
    Next he tried Carafate- lubricates makes swallowing a little easier
    Then a liquid Hydrocodone pain relief but will not help heal ulcers

****Prescription Prilosec (omeprazole) sooths and compliments the healing process.

The Prilsec helped tremedously, 2 times a day. Hydracodone he still takes Periodically.

Medical Marijunana also helped with the pain, increased appetite and ensured a good nights sleep.

Hope this helps Jerry. Call your Doc. there is no reason you should be in pain with all of the pain meds available.

My thoughts are with you
    Sal
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Options

prescription prilosec
    Hi Jerry, my husband had the same issues.

First Magic Mouth Wash- termporary pain relief,numbs but wears off fast
    Next he tried Carafate- lubricates makes swallowing a little easier
    Then a liquid Hydrocodone pain relief but will not help heal ulcers

****Prescription Prilosec (omeprazole) sooths and compliments the healing process.

The Prilsec helped tremedously, 2 times a day. Hydracodone he still takes Periodically.

Medical Marijunana also helped with the pain, increased appetite and ensured a good nights sleep.

Hope this helps Jerry. Call your Doc. there is no reason you should be in pain with all of the pain meds available.

My thoughts are with you
    Sal

Sal is right Jerry
    Sal's post is spot on. Prilosec is working for Don. And marijuana (medical or not) is a big help as Sal indicated. Again, agree with Sal - there is no reason for you to be in pain at this point.

Hoping you get better soon and sail through the surgery (getting closer and closer)

Judy
  • Ginny_B
    Options
    JReed said:

Sal is right Jerry
    Sal's post is spot on. Prilosec is working for Don. And marijuana (medical or not) is a big help as Sal indicated. Again, agree with Sal - there is no reason for you to be in pain at this point.

Hoping you get better soon and sail through the surgery (getting closer and closer)

Judy

Ha! This post couldn't have
    Ha! This post couldn't have come at a better time! Mom insisted on stopping Prilosec. Said it made her throw up. Both docs told her she needs it and the home health nurse told her the same thing! She's back on it and hasn't thrown up.

I know she'd feel so much better w/o the ulcerated esophagus!
  • Wife of patient 50378
    Options
    Ginny_B said:

Ha! This post couldn't have
    Ha! This post couldn't have come at a better time! Mom insisted on stopping Prilosec. Said it made her throw up. Both docs told her she needs it and the home health nurse told her the same thing! She's back on it and hasn't thrown up.

I know she'd feel so much better w/o the ulcerated esophagus!

I hope Bailey
    It would be wonderful if she reads this and has the time to add the info to he list.
    Sal
  • goberttike183
    goberttike183 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I hope Bailey
    It would be wonderful if she reads this and has the time to add the info to he list.
    Sal

Good wish to her
    Good wish to her and hope her get better soon. - lowering blood pressure | risks of high blood pressure | blood pressure chart
  • Ginny_B
    Options
    Does anyone who has had
    Does anyone who has had esophagus ulcers know which foods to stay away from? My mom seems to want foods that we (the nurse and I) think are harmful to her. Mom wants saltines. Nurse said, "No!" Told my mom she can only eat soft foods.

Mom wants oranges, but I'm so worried they have too much acid. Today mom asked for soup. I have her a cup of Cream of Chicken which seems to cause no pain going down. She could smell Chorizo and Eggs (a favorite) and wanted some. I think it caused her great pain as it hit the ulcerated part of the esophagus. She said it did not.

I wonder if G-tube feeding will east the pain for her.