Options
2»

Comments

• madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    MAJW said:

What if...
    What if the Komen foundation used their money to open their OWN clinics for uninsured and low income women?.... To provide breast exams, ultrasounds and mammograms..... After all, they take in millions each year...surely they could afford to do this....to be quite honest I'm not sending them any more money.....I made this decision long before this current news....I gave them money LONG before I was diagnosed....even my husband donated before my diagnosis...I may take flack for this but I do not believe in abortion...I won't discuss further this topic....because I beleve every life is precious....and this doesn't need to become a hot political topic...bc doesn't care...

We're all entitled to our own thoughts on this....again let them use now the monies that went to PP to open their own clinics...that would make all of us happy! We ALL want to find the cause and then the cure for bc...

Hugs to all of us brave women,
    Nancy

Well said Nancy! I
    Well said Nancy! I absolutely do not believe in abortion either and want no connection with Planned Parenthood. Love your idea of Komen opening their own clinics.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options

We have to agree to disagree, Vicki Sam
    I also received the Komen video, but I am not buying it. First off, the decision does appear to come from their new right-wing VP who vowed she would defund PP. Secondly, initially Komen said they were pulling support because of the "investigation" against PP (another right-wing political ploy), but now they are claiming it is to make the organization more efficient.

Time will tell if it makes them more efficient, but my donations are going elsewhere. I believe PP is a terrific organization that does much, much more than fund abortions. They provide free gyn exams, breast exams and reproductive information, treatment for STD's, and birth control.

Being on the receiving end of unplanned pregnancies by working in the NICU and constantly dealing with dysfunctional families, infants born with STD's, substance abuse, neither parent employed, etc., etc...well, I digress, but to me, PP is a solution, not an institution to be torn apart by politics.

P.S. The two breast cancer charities that my family and I have consistently funded have been Komen and BCRF, so this breaks my heart to have to decide this.

totally agree
    PP does so much more than abortions,
    They are a life saver for so many women. They do paps, ck for std's, give options to women, work with batyered women to get them to shelters, mammos, physicals. and counseling. The only reason Komen went back on his is because corporations strted pulling geir donations and some went so far as saying hey no longerwanted their name associated w komen.
    So bottom line, it was all about money not about womens health or bc that turned around their decision. I just will never support hem again. PP or St. Judes City of hope or My local Cancer Wellness House all work directly wih patient care and are all non profit. sgkf may have to do some major changing b4 they get any support from me.
  • maryknoll
    maryknoll Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Susan G. Komen for the Cure
    Susan G. Komen for the Cure has done a lot for the battle against breast and cervical cancer, but the organization's recent conclusion to pull its funding of Planned Parenthood has attracted crucial fire. Susan G. Komen CEO Nancy Brinker insists that the media's portrayal of events has been “a gross mischaracterization.” Source for this article: http://www.newsytype.com/14645-susan-g-komen-planned-parenthood/

Indeed, when health is being put into issues lots of people want to get involve and want to be heard of their own opinion. This issue about Susan G. Komen for the Cure surely awaken the senses of pro-lifers and pro-choice