UTIs

cap630
cap630 Member Posts: 151
I have been having frequent UTIs since treatment ended. Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    cap630
    I can't say that this has been an issue for me. I'm wondering if in your case your urethra has some scar tissue from the radiation and you are not completely emptying your bladder upon urination, which could lead to bacteria. Just a thought.
  • sissy310
    sissy310 Member Posts: 300
    It has been an issue for me.
    It has been an issue for me. I even had to see a urinary oncologist because of trace amounts of blood in my urine. He said with radiation there is higher rate of UTI's and he suggested I drink LOTS of water to keep the urine clear (he said it should be almost like I'm peeing water rather than the yellowy color (sorry if TMI)...that keeps bacteria from collecting in urinary tract. Has your doctor put you on a longer regimen of antibiodics? They had to give me a 30 day supply and he said if it continued, I may have to be on a daily dose (preventative) but so far it has not happened. Hope that you are feeling better. Marilyne
  • cap630
    cap630 Member Posts: 151
    sissy310 said:

It has been an issue for me.
    It has been an issue for me. I even had to see a urinary oncologist because of trace amounts of blood in my urine. He said with radiation there is higher rate of UTI's and he suggested I drink LOTS of water to keep the urine clear (he said it should be almost like I'm peeing water rather than the yellowy color (sorry if TMI)...that keeps bacteria from collecting in urinary tract. Has your doctor put you on a longer regimen of antibiodics? They had to give me a 30 day supply and he said if it continued, I may have to be on a daily dose (preventative) but so far it has not happened. Hope that you are feeling better. Marilyne

Thanks
    I'll talk to my doctor and drink plenty of water in the mean time.