Zometa

We dont mix . Got to the hospital had to go thru a finger stick it hurt i have very bad nerve pain in my feet and hands. Told them to use my arm i told we cant. cried then in chemo for iv for zometa got stuck twice told them also to use arm no can do. Sat there crying in pain got told 30min nope i was told 15 min call doc they did sat for 15min in pain . had tingling and acid burning in tummy, cant take it . Told doc before I left I cant do it she said we have 6monthes to think whats next to try and save my bones.

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Don't give up..
    I have had Zometa...the trick to stop the stomach problems....this is what the chemo nurse had me do to stop that side effect....eat two TUMS at the start of the infusion, then two more at lunch. Then after dinner and before bedtime....works like a charm!!!!! Who knew that plain old TUMS could take care of this side effect but it works....

For the Zometa infusion, they start the IV with saline while waiting for your lab/blood work to come back....this insures your kidney function is good...the actual infusion of Zometa is 15 minutes, for that alone....but you do have other options...

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience....I don't understand the arm issues...could you explain it ?

Wishing you better days...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • jerseygirl231
    jerseygirl231 Member Posts: 178
    MAJW said:

Don't give up..
    I have had Zometa...the trick to stop the stomach problems....this is what the chemo nurse had me do to stop that side effect....eat two TUMS at the start of the infusion, then two more at lunch. Then after dinner and before bedtime....works like a charm!!!!! Who knew that plain old TUMS could take care of this side effect but it works....

For the Zometa infusion, they start the IV with saline while waiting for your lab/blood work to come back....this insures your kidney function is good...the actual infusion of Zometa is 15 minutes, for that alone....but you do have other options...

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience....I don't understand the arm issues...could you explain it ?

Wishing you better days...
    Hugs, Nancy

No one told me anything
    Taxol left me with very bad nerve pain in my hands and thats where they stuck me.I was told 30 min then other told me 15min when they got to hang it i was told 30 min. I said no i was told 15min. I got side effects of zometa tingling and burning . Thanks for the tums
  • MAJW

No one told me anything
    Taxol left me with very bad nerve pain in my hands and thats where they stuck me.I was told 30 min then other told me 15min when they got to hang it i was told 30 min. I said no i was told 15min. I got side effects of zometa tingling and burning . Thanks for the tums

Please...
    Please ask your oncologist to prescribe Gabapentin for the nerve pain...I have severe nerve damage in my breasts due to having radiation twice and one area was overlapped this time, that was previously radiated in 2009....thus the nerve damage...the pain sometimes felt like someone had set me on fire.........I have great empathy for you, I know how very painful nerve damage is.....Gabapentin has changed my life! I swear by this drug! It comes in different dosages mine are 300 mg each...I take 1 in the morning and 2 about an hour before bedtime....again, it's changed my life...please get a prescription for this...

Wishing you better days..
    Hugs, Nancy
  • MAJW
    MAJW said:

Please...
    Please ask your oncologist to prescribe Gabapentin for the nerve pain...I have severe nerve damage in my breasts due to having radiation twice and one area was overlapped this time, that was previously radiated in 2009....thus the nerve damage...the pain sometimes felt like someone had set me on fire.........I have great empathy for you, I know how very painful nerve damage is.....Gabapentin has changed my life! I swear by this drug! It comes in different dosages mine are 300 mg each...I take 1 in the morning and 2 about an hour before bedtime....again, it's changed my life...please get a prescription for this...

Hugs, Nancy

Bump Up!
    I'm bumping this up in hopes that Jerseygirl will see my response about Gabapentin....
  • jerseygirl231
    jerseygirl231 Member Posts: 178
    MAJW said:

Bump Up!
    I'm bumping this up in hopes that Jerseygirl will see my response about Gabapentin....

I have tried the med
    I cant take it . It doesnt work for me. I thank you for the help majw. It has left me with bone pain today no fun.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    MAJW said:

Please...

Hugs, Nancy

I've not been on Zometa but
    I've not been on Zometa but I hope your onco can help you with the pain. Have you considered going for a 2nd opinion?

Hugs, Diane