Mastectomy surgery tomorrow

Options
Slimsixtwo
Slimsixtwo Member Posts: 24
So...my mastectomy surgery is tomorrow and I'm getting super nervous!! I'm on my way to the plastic surgeons office for markings. This surgery came fast!! I'm praying for clear margins. What should I expect post surgery? Will I be in a lot of pain? I have so many things running thru my mind right now. Whew!!

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    WHEW!
    Whew is right! I had a lumpectomy, so I can't advise on that...I'm sure our sisters who have will chime in...but I wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers as you go into surgery....I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery....

Keep us posted, we truly care
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Fitzpatrick
    Fitzpatrick Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Mastectomy
    I am sorry you are frightened, I understand. Everyone is different, I found my mastectomy to be minimal pain. I was quite scared, but it was not as horrid as I expected. I was in the hospital one night, on a pain drip, so I felt no pain. When I got home, I used codeine with tylenol for 3 days, that was all I needed. I had someone with me for assistance until the drains came out, for 5 days. Then I could drive & was able to function on my own. I did sleep quite a bit for the first several days. Good luck to you!
  • pginsburg
    pginsburg Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Good luck!
    Everyone deals with pain at a different level. I, personally, have a high threshold and would rather deal with pain than take any meds that mess with the way I think. I took (2)300mg Tylenols after my surgery and really didn't need anything else. The only painful part I recall from the surgery was inhaling. I had to take shallow breaths because the muscle was now over the tissue expander. It did not last too long, but the only pain was from the muscle. The drain made me nervous, only because I had a lot of fluid drain and had it in for almost 3 weeks. As far as other things to expect...it seems I couldn't take enough naps in the day probably for the first week. Otherwise, things were fine. I did have help from my son who came up from Florida to help with the little ones. Best wishes to you on your surgery and a speedy recovery!!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you.....
    Denise

Thinking of you.....

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you.....
    Denise

Thinking of you.....

Denise
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    We're all different
    I felt no paIn at all while in hospital overnight - they kept me on morphine drip til about 3 pm, oral til last one at midnight. After that usually took OTC tylenol - have a very high tolerance for most pains. I was given a script for oxycodon and did fill it but didn't take any - did take a couple vicodin though when I did a bit much.

Really didn't slow me down much. The day defore surgery I had stopped at the Humane Society to see what they had (Hubby had lost his 'little girl' shortly after I was DX and was looking for a Hound). Well, there was a nice looking B&T there so after I was in my room I sent him and Son off to look at her - he loved her but she had to stay til spayed. Next day when Son picked me up we stopped to see her. I did get out of horse/barn chores until incision was healed as even though it was winter did not want to take a chance of infection.

2nd day aftersurgery I was back driving/going anywhere I wanted to. If Son hadn't bought me a 'new' vehicle I might not have been that fast as my daily driver was a GMC Sonoma (Chevy Luv) 2X4 that had no power steering and was a stick shift and had a rt. mod. rad. mast. So it might have been a bit to do. He was offered a Bronco II with all power, automatic and 4X4 for what it was worth for crusher price - so he got it for me and after 2+ yrs it's still getting me anywhere I want to go anywhere basically any weather - no I dson't go out in blizzards.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get drains out. Yes, they are a bother to deal with but much better than seromas that happen when they are taken out too early. My first drain was taken out at 14 days post surgery. At 28 days the other was still draining a bit more than ideal to remove but surgeon thought that it was probably causing irritation hence the drainage so he removed it. Not a good idea - developed a large seroma that had to be drained several times. Can't prove it but I will always believe I had something to do with amount of LE (lymphedema) problems I deal with.

It is suggested to have button front jammies and shirts as it may not be doable to have pull over shirts - wasn't a problem for me but for many is.

The day after I got home the local ACS called me and sent a 'Care Box'. In it was a lot of stuff and one of the 'fluffs' - fiberfill pros. I used it til March when I got my good prosthesis - it was winter so wearing bulky clothes it worked great. Body needs a while to get to it's new "it". Does change for quite a while - my pros was a great match almost 2 years ago but isn't as good now so will be getting a new one in March.

Hope I haven't rambled on too much!

Susan

Just remembered something that surprised me a bit. Your Surgeon may do it very differently but mine had me totally 'strapped down' with a pressure wrap covering the surgery side and the other remaining side - I looked like a little girl. It was left on til I saw him a week after surgery. Also there were no visiable/extermal stitches.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Mastectomy
    I am sorry you are frightened, I understand. Everyone is different, I found my mastectomy to be minimal pain. I was quite scared, but it was not as horrid as I expected. I was in the hospital one night, on a pain drip, so I felt no pain. When I got home, I used codeine with tylenol for 3 days, that was all I needed. I had someone with me for assistance until the drains came out, for 5 days. Then I could drive & was able to function on my own. I did sleep quite a bit for the first several days. Good luck to you!

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery!

Hugs, Megan
  • Slimsixtwo
    Slimsixtwo Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies!! You
    Thanks so much ladies!! You provided great advice and i appreciate the well wishes!!! I have a medium tolerance for pain. I filled my vicodin prescription just in case. I would prefer to use Motrin if the pain is not toooo bad. I will keep everyone posted!! Thanks again! You guys are awesome!!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Thanks so much ladies!! You
    Thanks so much ladies!! You provided great advice and i appreciate the well wishes!!! I have a medium tolerance for pain. I filled my vicodin prescription just in case. I would prefer to use Motrin if the pain is not toooo bad. I will keep everyone posted!! Thanks again! You guys are awesome!!

Honey...
    Don't be a martyr...if you need the pain meds. by all means take them! No need to have pain when meds are available....

Again, wishing you the best...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Honey...
    Don't be a martyr...if you need the pain meds. by all means take them! No need to have pain when meds are available....

Again, wishing you the best...
    Hugs, Nancy

Sweetheart--sending my most positive energy
    and prayers to you for a successful, uneventful, painfree surgery. We will all be there with you in our glorious pink spirit, cheering you on to victory.

Hugs, Renee
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Sweetheart--sending my most positive energy
    and prayers to you for a successful, uneventful, painfree surgery. We will all be there with you in our glorious pink spirit, cheering you on to victory.

Hugs, Renee

I want to wish you the best
    I want to wish you the best tomorrow on your surgery. I had lumpectomy so can't advise but I'll be praying for you tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Thinking of you.....
    Denise

Thinking of you.....

Denise

Just my 2 cents .... (been there, done that information)
    You, your health and recovery should be first and foremost .. the first few weeks.

Pre-cook dinners, or arrange for family and friends to provide dinners for a few days.

Take pain medication as prescribed, then necessary.

Please make sure you know how 'to' milk your drains -- Ask RN's at doctors office, and/
    or RN at hospital.

Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back.

Please have cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your
    fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes
    - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches,
    as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut,moved and sewn back together.

I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no
    muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy.. It took my husband, and
    daughter some time to pull me out of the tub == without hurting me. Not a pretty time,
    or sight to say the least. So I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head,
    and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from
    waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms. I need to feel, and be CLEAN, just
    my thing -- sponge baths don't do it for me.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options

I want to wish you the best tomorrow on your surgery. I had lumpectomy so can't advise but I'll be praying for you tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Wanda

Praying all goes well. I
    Praying all goes well. I couldn't believe that I was in at 6 and out by 3...same day! And I wasn't in a whole lot of pain. But yes, please take if needed.

Everyone's regimen is different. I had the Chemo first as my tumor was large and agressive. So they shrunk that puppy down to nothing. Then I had my "drive by" (as they refer this to), mastectomy, in and out.

Then further on down the road, after radiation, I had the reconstrucive surgery removing the "good" breast and using my own fat & tissue.

Take Care, I'll be praying. Everything will be fine.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Sending you Positive Energy..
    I had a lumpectomy, but I wanted to say I'll be thinking of you. Sending you special prayers your way. May God guide the hands of that surgeon tomorrow. May you get clear margins. And may you have a smooth recovery with no complications. I believe you will be OK.

Please keep us posted about your recovery when you can.
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Sending you Positive Energy..
    I had a lumpectomy, but I wanted to say I'll be thinking of you. Sending you special prayers your way. May God guide the hands of that surgeon tomorrow. May you get clear margins. And may you have a smooth recovery with no complications. I believe you will be OK.

Please keep us posted about your recovery when you can.

Wishing you all the Best for tom...
    Mine is been there, done that info too... It's a bit scary prior to surgery. you know, fear of the unknown. But... it's REALLY not that bad. As mentioned earlier, take the pain meds and you'll be fine. I think the worse part was the drainage tubes after the surgery and contantly measuring the drainage. You'll be a bit sore afterward, but not bad. It's doable.

Wishing YOU all the BEST. It will be over before you know it!!!

Sending positive vibes your way!!!

{{{Hugs}}}
    Mitzi
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Prayer
    You are on the prayer list.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Hugs,
    Wanda

Praying your surgery goes
    Praying your surgery goes well and that you heal and recover quickly.

Sue :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Mitzi333 said:

Mine is been there, done that info too... It's a bit scary prior to surgery. you know, fear of the unknown. But... it's REALLY not that bad. As mentioned earlier, take the pain meds and you'll be fine. I think the worse part was the drainage tubes after the surgery and contantly measuring the drainage. You'll be a bit sore afterward, but not bad. It's doable.

{{{Hugs}}}
    Mitzi

Praying for you!
    Hugs, Debby

Praying for you!

Hugs, Debby
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Mitzi333 said:

{{{Hugs}}}
    Mitzi

Praying for you!
    Hugs, Debby

Praying for you!

Hugs, Debby
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Options
    Thinking of you today.
    Thinking of you today. Sending good wishes your way.