What to do with bald head?

Options
AngieD
AngieD Member Posts: 493
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about what to expect after the 2nd A/C treatment! I had it Tuesday and my hair started going on Thursday. My hairdresser/friend came to my house and clipped/buzzed it in private which I greatly appreciated. So, there's still just a little left, but not messy. But how do you take care of a bald head? Wash with bath soap or shampoo? Use lotion? Never thought about this before---???
Angie

Comments

• mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Continue as Usual
    Hi,

I always used shampoo regardless if I had hair or not. It just felt like the right thing to do. No need to condition it unless your skin gets dry. I'm proud of you shaving it off. I found it very liberating to be in charge of that and not the cancer. You Go Girl.

Terry
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    mom62 said:

Continue as Usual
    Hi,

I always used shampoo regardless if I had hair or not. It just felt like the right thing to do. No need to condition it unless your skin gets dry. I'm proud of you shaving it off. I found it very liberating to be in charge of that and not the cancer. You Go Girl.

Terry

Scalp...
    You're scalp may become a bit sore and sensitive when what's left starts to fall out....mine did...I used baby shampoo...I was bald during the summer of 09....yet I was cold...I wore a wig out in public but little 100% cotton caps around the house and to sleep in....

Wishing you the best
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80
    Options
    scalp care
    Don't forget to use sunscreen!!!

I just used Neutrogena Rain Bath on my then bald head and even though I always had a hat on outside - sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!!!

My hair is back now very "boy cut" and I LOVE it this length!!!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

scalp care
    Don't forget to use sunscreen!!!

I just used Neutrogena Rain Bath on my then bald head and even though I always had a hat on outside - sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!!!

My hair is back now very "boy cut" and I LOVE it this length!!!

I used Johnsons Baby Shampoo
    I used Johnsons Baby Shampoo and never had a problem. It's a great smell too :)
    Best of luck!
    Wanda
  • cntgobck03
    cntgobck03 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi, I started chemo in
    Hi, I started chemo in December and I still use my Dove shampoo. I still have some fuzz on my head which is funny to me. I thought it would be completely smooth! I usually wear the little cotton knit hats to sleep in, my head gets cold. I haven't been able to wear a wig. I have two. My head was very sensitive when my hair started coming out, it downright hurt. I had my hairdresser shave mine too. I think it's what works best for you. You have to feel comfortable whether it's with a wig or with hats. I wish you well and email anytime. It's a rough road but one step at a time!!

Hugs and prayers,
    Becky
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I used either the same body
    I used either the same body wash I used on the rest of me for a tubby or baby shampoo for a shower (I hate water running in my face and baby shampoo doesn't burn eyes so bad.).

Susan
  • Fitzpatrick
    Fitzpatrick Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I did not know what to do either
    I went on line & purchased a Rosemary shampoo for my bald head, did not use conditioner. I cannot explain why I continued using shampoo, guess it just felt right. I have about 1 1/2 inches of growth now & still using the same shampoo, it's suppose to be a gentle & natural. I received free wigs (brand new) from the American Cancer Society, I hardly wore them; I wore turbans. At first the turbans seemed awkward. It felt as if people were starring at me, thinking "that poor woman". Within in short time, I got over that. They were more comfortable than wigs; a no fuss head covering..
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    I was hyper
    I wanted that hair back in quickly. I used Nioxin or the other brand, can't remember, hair growth shampoo, you hairdresser friend would know the name. It was expensive and I really don't think it did that much good but it made me feel like I was doing something to bring it back, and it made my shower longer so I didn't feel like I was forgetting to do something, lol.

Kind of ironic that here I am again, and don't care nearly as much.

Been there done that, got the bald head again, I guess

Jennifer
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

I was hyper
    I wanted that hair back in quickly. I used Nioxin or the other brand, can't remember, hair growth shampoo, you hairdresser friend would know the name. It was expensive and I really don't think it did that much good but it made me feel like I was doing something to bring it back, and it made my shower longer so I didn't feel like I was forgetting to do something, lol.

Kind of ironic that here I am again, and don't care nearly as much.

Been there done that, got the bald head again, I guess

Jennifer

I found that you need to groom your scalp
    after you lose your hair. Baby shampoo worked great. However, if you get a clogged
    pore -- Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo helped me with clogged pores .. aka. . . pimples on
    scalp -=- who knew?

I also wore sun screen during the day on the back of my neck, ears and scalp -- I did burn
    my 'hairless' scalp picking up dogie do -- yes, it was a little warm (So. California), and I was outside .. for about 15 minutes.

I also found that wearing a cotton sleep cap at night helped me sleep -- maybe the
    security of having my scalp warm. I also found my cap help me with free motion movements
    regarding my pillow -- no friction between pillow case and scalp when moving from
    side to side.

I also slathered on moisturizing cream on my scalp several times a day. (maybe thats
    how I ended up with the clogged pores - LOL).

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi Angie,
    I have just

Hi Angie,
    I have just finished my chemo rounds and heading to radiation. Losing my hair was by far the most traumatic thing about all of this. There really are no "how to" books about the everyday life of chemo patients. Things you never thought of will come up ie; shampooing or not, missing my hairbrush etc. I found it best for me to try to stay as normal in my routine as possible given the fact that nothing in my life is now normal. So, I just wash my head with shampoo. It really does feel like I've forgotten something in the shower because the hair care is not needed and I refuse to shave what little hair I have on my legs. It just seems wrong to remove something that has already been taken from you. :)

As for the question of wigs or scarves, I bought a very expensive wig that I cannot wear. The back of my head is flat and the shop owner that sold it to me says she can't do anything more to adjust the wig. It doesn't stay at the nape of my head and creeps up revealing scalp. I just about have a panic attack when wearing it. It feels very insecure. So, I wear scarves and baseball caps. The scarf look alone looks so "cue ball" and the hat alone of course shows the baldness. I get the stares enough while covered.
    If you decide on anything other than a wig, you may find as I did that most people avert your eyes and children stare, but there are those very kind people who will look you right in the eyes and smile. The side glances are what hurts. I feel like saying "Yes, it's cancer!" and "look me in the eye ya coward!" But I realize that I (the one needing the comfort) have to look them in the eye and smile and say hi. We end up trying to make them feel comfortable and that's okay too. My very best to you Angie. It really is a long, hard road. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. But the Lord gives us only one day at a time and asks us to simply trust and follow HIm. Love, Victoria (madsters)
  • GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    Options
    madsters1 said:

Hi Angie,
    I have just

Hi Angie,
    I have just finished my chemo rounds and heading to radiation. Losing my hair was by far the most traumatic thing about all of this. There really are no "how to" books about the everyday life of chemo patients. Things you never thought of will come up ie; shampooing or not, missing my hairbrush etc. I found it best for me to try to stay as normal in my routine as possible given the fact that nothing in my life is now normal. So, I just wash my head with shampoo. It really does feel like I've forgotten something in the shower because the hair care is not needed and I refuse to shave what little hair I have on my legs. It just seems wrong to remove something that has already been taken from you. :)

As for the question of wigs or scarves, I bought a very expensive wig that I cannot wear. The back of my head is flat and the shop owner that sold it to me says she can't do anything more to adjust the wig. It doesn't stay at the nape of my head and creeps up revealing scalp. I just about have a panic attack when wearing it. It feels very insecure. So, I wear scarves and baseball caps. The scarf look alone looks so "cue ball" and the hat alone of course shows the baldness. I get the stares enough while covered.
    If you decide on anything other than a wig, you may find as I did that most people avert your eyes and children stare, but there are those very kind people who will look you right in the eyes and smile. The side glances are what hurts. I feel like saying "Yes, it's cancer!" and "look me in the eye ya coward!" But I realize that I (the one needing the comfort) have to look them in the eye and smile and say hi. We end up trying to make them feel comfortable and that's okay too. My very best to you Angie. It really is a long, hard road. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. But the Lord gives us only one day at a time and asks us to simply trust and follow HIm. Love, Victoria (madsters)

Hair give me a head with hair! like the play
    Traumatic but I could not stand wigs so I wore gypsy scarves and enjoyed that. I treated my head in the shower with baby shampoo and rinsed , never felt it was dry . When u look back and think why was I so freaked ??? It is somerthing to get used too. specially in the winter but there are such beautiful soft caps to wear.

I will probably be headed into this path again myself. Good luck.

Hugs,
    Karen
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Hair give me a head with hair! like the play
    Traumatic but I could not stand wigs so I wore gypsy scarves and enjoyed that. I treated my head in the shower with baby shampoo and rinsed , never felt it was dry . When u look back and think why was I so freaked ??? It is somerthing to get used too. specially in the winter but there are such beautiful soft caps to wear.

I will probably be headed into this path again myself. Good luck.

Hugs,
    Karen

Johnsons Baby shampoo
    I also used Johnsons baby shampoo. Mine is growing back now, so I've switched to Mane & Tail. Not sure it will help it grow faster or thicker, but thought I'd give it a shot. I also had 2 wigs but only wore them in the beginning. I found hats and scarfs much more comfortable.

Hugs, Debi
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Johnsons Baby shampoo
    I also used Johnsons baby shampoo. Mine is growing back now, so I've switched to Mane & Tail. Not sure it will help it grow faster or thicker, but thought I'd give it a shot. I also had 2 wigs but only wore them in the beginning. I found hats and scarfs much more comfortable.

Hugs, Debi

same routine
    I used my regular shampoo (salon brand however) and conditioner and followed it up with a quality moisturizer. Went bald around the house and used cotton knit wraps and soft hats when out. And don't forget the earrings! Have some fun with those - it draws attention away from the head.